Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Insanely long load time on iMac desktop

Insanely long load time on iMac desktop

Not sure exactly when, but my iMac spotify install got pretty much unusable -- the load time is, and I'm not exaggerating, 9-10 minutes.  If I were to wait that long, the performance once everything loads is OK.  It's strictly the load.  On my iphone X (latest OS) load time is fine.  On my Macbook Pro (recent acquisition), same OS as desktop (High Sierra 10.13.6), load time is fine.

What can I do to restore the load time on my iMac -- my wife usually is curled up with the Macbook Pro!  Help!

(And for chrisake spotify, put a friggin' A-Z on the right side of the library on the deskop version - sheesh.)

38 Replies

I hope you had found a solution already. After years of struggling with the same issue, installing and uninstalling the app, disabling the hardware acceleration feature, I must say I FINALLY found an article with the alternative to solve this problem: 

https://binaryblogger.com/2018/10/10/spotify-desktop-app-slow-heres-how-to-fix-it-for-mac-and-window...

Totally worked for me. 🙂

whats the solution cause it said on my one it said page not found

Hey @mrstarlingyoutube,

Thanks for joining the thread!
The linked page seems to be outdated now, so let's try to get to the bottom of this 🙂

Could you let us know if you've tried any troubleshooting steps so far?
We'd also like to know what the exact issue you're experiencing is, when it occurs and which devices it's present on (alongside their OS & the installed Spotify version).
We'll be on the lookout for your response!

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

i dont know what troubleshooting is @vasil thanks for trying to help it just loads super slow and i dont know anyway to help it i just wait and die of boredom

Hey @mrstarlingyoutube,

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Just to clarify, troubleshooting means any possible alternatives you might try to solve a particular inconvenience, e. g. reinstalling the app on the affected device. That being said, if you haven't yet, you can start off with a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app on your mobile device. You can find out the steps to do it in this article.

In that doesn't do the trick, can you share with us the exact Spotify version you have installed on your device?

Lastly, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event, such as a OS update? If yes, please send us the details. 

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

hello @alejar reastinalling didint work and it just happened then  i have the mac version of the app but the computer is in ok condition so i dont think its the computer

Hey @mrstarlingyoutube,

Thanks for the reply.

What's the Spotify version number you've installed on your Mac? We need it to find out if it's the latest one and if we can reproduce the issue.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

im not sure, i didint know there was types of app of the mac issue its just the spotify logo well its on the website so its probably the latest

Hey there @mrstarlingyoutube

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to clarify, are you having issues with the desktop app or the web player

If the issue is on the desktop app, you can check the app version on the upper left corner clicking on the 3 dots > Help > About Spotify. 

On another note, would you mind checking if the same happens while using a different internet connection? You can try creating a hotspot on your phone and using that.

We'll be waiting for your reply. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

hello eni, im on a mac computer not a phone, well i searched dup spotify app and found a spotify app from spotify about macs for macs so i downloaded it and that where i play music from.

Hey @mrstarlingyoutube,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We see what you're saying and in order to find the root cause of what you are experiencing and give you best advice, we need the numbers of your Spotify version as mentioned before. Go to this this FAQ and you'll get a better understanding of what to include in your next response. 

Note that sometimes, if there is an issue with the network connection you're using, it might affect the app's performance. So, to exclude this as a possible reason for your issue @Eni wanted you to try connecting your Mac to different network and as an example she mentioned creating hotspot from your phone and connecting your Mac computer to test if you'll still get the same error. Not to worry, if you can't do that, just try connecting to another Wi-Fi network.

In case the issue persists, could you ask a friend or a family member to log in on your computer and test this out to see if they'll experience this?

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers!

LyubkaModerator

this is the one i got https://www.spotify.com/us/download/mac/ on this link im pretty sure its the app

Hey there @mrstarlingyoutube,

Thanks for the post.

You've sent us the link to download the Spotify app. The app itself updates over time and changes it's version number. For example version 1.0 to version 1.1 and so on. Can you open this article here and follow the instructions to send us the current version number of your Spotify app?

It's also worth trying to use another network connection, like a different WiFi or a mobile network hotspot from your phone, to see if that has any effect on your issue, like @Eni suggested.

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator

Same problem here, imac Mac OS Ventura. Just takes a lot of time to open. Both on my imac and my gf macbook pro 13 M1

Hey @tarsic,

Thanks for reaching out.

As a next step, please check out the suggestions in this thread and send over the requested info.

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator

App version: 

Spotify for macOS (Intel)
1.2.22.982.g794acc0a

I am on Ethernet connection directly to the router, all other applications (Zoom, Slack, Viber, Outlook, Chrome, etc.) work absolutely fine. Everything works fine but this one app. It takes forever to start it. I tried everything.

Hey @mrstarlingyoutube & @tarsic,

Would you mind checking if removing the cached data from your device would help speed things up?

1. Click your profile picture at the top, and select Settings.
  2. Scroll down and click Storage.
  3. Click Clear cache.

If this doesn't hep out, you can try performing a complete clean reinstall of the app instead to remove all leftover files from previous app installations. To do so, follow the steps here.

Tip: Remember that (should it be possible) it's also worth checking if connecting to another network would make a difference.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies 🙂

VasilModerator

That did not help,**bleep** the latest version it seems to be even worse, took like 2 or 3 minutes to start after upgrading. It even waited for like 10-15sec to minimize the Spotify window once it was open, was rotating that macOS circle which usually means "I am not frozen, I am working".

Again, no problem with any other app. This might be some stupid macOS thing. Viber also takes much longer to start on all macs than on Windows. But definitely Spotify is the Champion in this department.

You can find the video I made using this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a-HtItRh7Blbzk9bZBJOVuTn7Jh_6dsI/view?usp=sharing

Send me the request from your work email if you can't view the file.

Hey @tarsic,

Can you please try the following:

1. Open the settings and enable Local Files (if they're disabled).
  2. Disable all Local Files sources.
  3. Disable Local Files again.

Let us know if this makes any difference.

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts