Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files will not play at all

Solved!

Local files will not play at all

Can't get local files to work on desktop Spotify.

I have tried logging out and back in, re-installing Spotify, deselecting the local libraries and re-selecting, selecting multiple different source folders, and I cannot get local files to play. They are MP3s from CD rips. They play in every other app, but not in Spotify on my desktop, and since I cant get them to work on the computer, I also cannot get them to load on my mobile either (Google Pixel XL 1). The files are not greyed out, they are under the local files tab, and when I click them, sometimes it does nothing, other times it'll show the file playing in the play bar but there's no audio. Most often my Spotify just freezes up when I try to play them.

I love Spotify, but want to listen to some of my older music from local bands that are not on Spotify. It's extremely frustrating, and cannot find a solution anywhere. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Premium

USA (NYC)

Desktop: MacPro (Early 2008) OSX 10.11.16

Spotify build 1.1.9.383.g9f48828e

Mobile: Google Pixel XL (1)

Most recent Google Play Store Spotify build

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yes. I have tried those. Still no help. It's very frustrating.

EDIT: This worked for me: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/How-can-i-delete-local-files-from-spotify/m-p/17452...

I moved my library to a new location, disabled local files in Spotify, closed Spotify, deleted the library file from the Spotify folder, reopened, re-enabled local files, chose the new location, and now it's working.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hi @CBPoindexter ! 🙂
There's a Spotify article here about some common issues with local files. I'm curious if you've tried any of the other tips there to see if it clears up?
I hope this was helpful and have a great day! 🙂

Marked as solution

Yes. I have tried those. Still no help. It's very frustrating.

EDIT: This worked for me: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/How-can-i-delete-local-files-from-spotify/m-p/17452...

I moved my library to a new location, disabled local files in Spotify, closed Spotify, deleted the library file from the Spotify folder, reopened, re-enabled local files, chose the new location, and now it's working.

Suggested posts