Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Local files will not play at all

Solved!

Local files will not play at all

Can't get local files to work on desktop Spotify.

I have tried logging out and back in, re-installing Spotify, deselecting the local libraries and re-selecting, selecting multiple different source folders, and I cannot get local files to play. They are MP3s from CD rips. They play in every other app, but not in Spotify on my desktop, and since I cant get them to work on the computer, I also cannot get them to load on my mobile either (Google Pixel XL 1). The files are not greyed out, they are under the local files tab, and when I click them, sometimes it does nothing, other times it'll show the file playing in the play bar but there's no audio. Most often my Spotify just freezes up when I try to play them.

I love Spotify, but want to listen to some of my older music from local bands that are not on Spotify. It's extremely frustrating, and cannot find a solution anywhere. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Premium

USA (NYC)

Desktop: MacPro (Early 2008) OSX 10.11.16

Spotify build 1.1.9.383.g9f48828e

Mobile: Google Pixel XL (1)

Most recent Google Play Store Spotify build

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yes. I have tried those. Still no help. It's very frustrating.

EDIT: This worked for me: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/How-can-i-delete-local-files-from-spotify/m-p/17452...

I moved my library to a new location, disabled local files in Spotify, closed Spotify, deleted the library file from the Spotify folder, reopened, re-enabled local files, chose the new location, and now it's working.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hi @CBPoindexter ! 🙂
There's a Spotify article here about some common issues with local files. I'm curious if you've tried any of the other tips there to see if it clears up?
I hope this was helpful and have a great day! 🙂

Marked as solution

Yes. I have tried those. Still no help. It's very frustrating.

EDIT: This worked for me: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/How-can-i-delete-local-files-from-spotify/m-p/17452...

I moved my library to a new location, disabled local files in Spotify, closed Spotify, deleted the library file from the Spotify folder, reopened, re-enabled local files, chose the new location, and now it's working.

Suggested posts