Country

United States

Device

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017

Operating System

macOS Big Sur 11.3.1

Spotify Client Version

1.1.58.820.g2ae50076-a

Ever since I updated to the new UI this past weekend, the back/forward page navigation shortcuts have stopped working. I look in the "View" menu and see they've been changed to Command+Option+Left/Right when they used to be Command+square brackets ("[ ]"). However, I see in the official shortcuts list that both are supported... when in fact only the former works.

Could someone see if this was disabled or removed by mistake? The shortcut should be a system-wide default, whether or not the functionality is in an app's menus or on a shortcuts list. I manually bound the thumb buttons on my mouse (Logitech G502 HERO) to enable easy, mouse-only navigation since macOS doesn't recognize them as such by default, unlike in Windows.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @swiftwind501,

Thanks for your patience while we were looking into things!

Regarding the support site page listing both shortcuts, we've gone ahead and reported it with the right folks. Thanks again for flagging this!

The default shortcut option in the app seems to be alt + cmd + the left/ right arrows keys, as you spotted.

However, you can manually update this to your preferred shortcut - in this case, cmd + [ or ]. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Head to your Mac's System Preferences
  2. Click on Keyboard
  3. Go to the Shortcuts tab
  4. In the sidebar, you should see App Shortcuts, click it. 
  5. There should be a + sign - click it.
  6. This will open a new pop up dialogue window where you can enter your preferred shortcut for Spotify going back or forward. I named mine Go Back or Go Forward and once it was saved, the menu bar of Spotify > View updated accordingly for Go Back or Go Forward: 
  7. Click Add.

You might need to do this twice, but once you add them both, the Spotify menu bar > View shortcut values should be updated to reflect that. Here, for example, is how it looks like once I added the shortcut for Go Back (the Go Forward one still has the original value):

Hope this is helpful - let us know how it goes! We'll be right here if you need us.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hi @swiftwind501,

Our assumption is that the support site hasn't been updated yet with the latest info, which we will report right away if this turns out to be the case.

What you see listed in the app when press CMD+? to bring up a list of keyboard shortcuts is what is currently supported.

We'll look into this further and keep you posted. 

Mihail Moderator
Marked as solution

Hey there @swiftwind501,

Thanks for your patience while we were looking into things!

Regarding the support site page listing both shortcuts, we've gone ahead and reported it with the right folks. Thanks again for flagging this!

The default shortcut option in the app seems to be alt + cmd + the left/ right arrows keys, as you spotted.

However, you can manually update this to your preferred shortcut - in this case, cmd + [ or ]. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Head to your Mac's System Preferences
  2. Click on Keyboard
  3. Go to the Shortcuts tab
  4. In the sidebar, you should see App Shortcuts, click it. 
  5. There should be a + sign - click it.
  6. This will open a new pop up dialogue window where you can enter your preferred shortcut for Spotify going back or forward. I named mine Go Back or Go Forward and once it was saved, the menu bar of Spotify > View updated accordingly for Go Back or Go Forward: 
  7. Click Add.

You might need to do this twice, but once you add them both, the Spotify menu bar > View shortcut values should be updated to reflect that. Here, for example, is how it looks like once I added the shortcut for Go Back (the Go Forward one still has the original value):

Hope this is helpful - let us know how it goes! We'll be right here if you need us.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Suggested posts