Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist's background colour won't match new playlist photo.

Playlist's background colour won't match new playlist photo.

Whenever I change the photo for a playlist, it never seems to change the background colour of that playlist, it just stays the default colour of grey.

No matter how many times I remove and add a different one, it never changes. I've reinstalled spotify and it hasn't fixed the issue.
24 Replies

Hi there,

Thanks for the post.

If you upload a custom image as a cover to any of your playlists, the background color will default to gray. The color changes automatically based on the top song, only when there isn't a custom cover art image uploaded.

Hope this clears things up.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

(replying from a new account, lost access to the older one)

I think it is supposed to though, I only opened this issue because it was working before but not now. I even have an older playlist that does match the colour of the custom image. It seems to be when creating new playlists or changing the custom covers does it result in gray, so maybe it's a new bug? I'm too afraid to change the custom cover for the playlist that does have a matching background.

I noticed other people having a similar issue here. The fact that it works on mobile but not on desktop would also suggest it's an issue with the desktop version (I also had the same issue when using a MacBook). 

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared 🙂

This is indeed odd, since the background color should change with the predominant color of the image you set as the playlist cover. We could replicate this behavior from our side. To continue investigating and isolating this behavior, would you mind sending us the link to the older playlist that does match the color of the custom image?

On another note, would you mind sending us the links to the new playlist, whose backgrounds are gray despite the custom playlist cover? To send us the links to the playlists, you can follow these steps.

Lastly, we'll need some additional details. Please send us the exact Spotify version you're running on your computer. Did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

The link you shared seems to be broken, all I see is this:

joejoe275_0-1676386703978.png

In any case, I found that one of the playlists I created a few days ago that had a custom image now has the matching background. It seems to have taken 4 days for this playlist to display the correct background colour (without changing the playlist cover in those 4 days). I'm not sure why it takes that long to update, but at least it seems to work. Maybe that's something that needs fixing.

Hey @joejoe275,

Thanks for the reply and the report.

Our tech team has implemented a fix. Could you make sure you're running the latest version of the app, if you still stumble upon this issue? If it occurs, share the most recent version number you're using.

Cheers!

DianModerator

Yeah still doesn't seem to work - I'm on version 1.2.4.912.g949d5fd0.

Hey @joejoe275,

Would you mind exiting the app altogether and restarting it to check again?
If the issue persists, please remove your cached data and try again.

In case this doesn't change anything, let us know and we'll relay the information to our tech folks! 🙂
Thanks!

VasilModerator

Restarted the application, cleared the cache from the settings and it still doesn't update the background to the correct colour (even after reapplying new playlist covers).

Hey @joejoe275,

We've made some changes backstage and everything should be working well now.
Could you please take a look & confirm?

I'd advise going for a complete clean reinstall as shown here in case you don't see the changes yet.
Let us know how it goes!

VasilModerator

Unfortunately, no, even by following all those steps I still have the exact same problem 😖

Yep, can confirm that there's still a delay of anywhere between 3-7 days before the playlist background displays the correct colour instead of the default grey.

Anyone can check this for themselves by creating a new playlist, adding a song and choosing a photo (one that won't make the background grey when the change does happen) - check every day until the playlist background changes to match your uploaded image and look at the "date added" column. From my experience it seems to be 3-7 days before the change takes effect.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your reply and for all the info shared.

@joejoe275, @Grazzt, we really appreciate you keeping us in the loop. In this case, would you mind sending us the following, so we can pass the info to the right team?:

• Make/model and OS of the device in which you noticed this behavior.
  • Exact Spotify version you're currently running.
  • The link to the playlist (could be any new playlist) in which you noticed this behavior.

We'll be in the lookout!

AlejaRModerator

Hi Aleja, thanks for your help !

So, in my case, if I don't listen to a playlist for some time then the background color disappears and it's only the default grey background color. 

If I start listening to this playlist again, the background color appears after 2/3 days, but then some other playlists color will disappear.

It's like it couldn't "memorize" more than a certain number of background colors or something...

It happens on my Windows 10 computer at home and my Windows 11 one at work.

The Spotify version is 1.2.6.863

Here's one exemple of such a playlist, the background color was there when I was listening regularely to it, now it has disappeared because I haven't listened to it for a few weeks, and I'm pretty sure it will reappear again in a few days if I listen to it more oftern :

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3bpizs4j4JVdAQJjCJNPSn?si=1013ad3de6384b95

Hey @Grazzt,

Thanks for this important info.

We've gone ahead and passed this info to the right team. Would you mind sending us a screenshot of how you see that playlist background color on your side? Rest assured this is being investigated.

Meanwhile, just to confirm, if you try and update the image of the playlist, you noticed any difference in the background? Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Well, the thing is, now that I've listened to this playlist for a while, the background has turned red !

And I see it red on my previous post link too (it was grey when I first posted it).

I also tried changing the image of another playlist that was grey, but it still stayed grey, it didn't update the background color when I updated the image.

Here's a screenshot of another one that's still grey for now, if I start listening to it it will probably turn blue in a few days, but I'll try not to, so you can check it out 😁

Another important info maybe : on my iPhone it works perfectly well, I always see the background color as soon as I put an image, even if I put the image on my PC I see the background color on my iPhone, but it's just on my Windows PC (any Windows PC that I use) that the background stays grey for a few days.

Thanks !

EVE.png

I too am having the same issues as everyone else. Whenever I add a new profile picture or when I had custom images to my playlist, the background color remains grey for hours and days - even weeks. It wasn't like that before and I'm not sure why that would be happening; maybe it's a bug with the updates? I've also noticed that whenever I try to make a playlist public on my account, it never shows up. The only way it does is if I exit the desktop app and relaunch it. It's almost like my account is stalling or something. 

Is there a way to fix these issues? I have the latest version of Spotify on my Macbook and it seems broken.

Thanks so much!

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies 🙂

@Grazzt, would you mind sending us the link to that other playlist? That way we can check it on our side.

@sugarplumlexiii, if you noticed this behavior of your side, we'll need you to send us the following, so we can pass the info to the right team:

• Make/model and OS of the device in which you noticed this behavior.
  • Exact Spotify version you're currently running.
  • The link to the playlist (could be any new playlist) in which you noticed this behavior.

We'll be in the lookout!

AlejaRModerator

Well, yes, I can send you endless links to endless playlists, but I did that already and it didn't solve anything 🙄

But sure, here it is again :

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3QLlAE6kmMUtgqZzhH53d8?si=ad1e08ac46954952

Still not fixed. The web client works fine, but it's the computer app we're struggling with.

I can see the background color on other people's playlists but not on my own. Very frustrating!

Suggested posts