Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Re: Spotify app not playing on Sonoma 14.1

Solved!

Re: Spotify app not playing on Sonoma 14.1

I've also run into this issue. The web version of the app works fine.  The desktop app appears to work but the play button etc buttons are always greyed out. I've tried restarting and reinstalling. The desktop app worked fine a week ago.

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.26.1187.g36b715a1

macOS Sonoma 14.2

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The macOS desktop Spotify app is working for me again. Per this (very very detailed) analysis, it appears that Spotify has fixed a problem by working around a macOS bug or quirk: https://rbf.dev/blog/2024/01/how-apple-accidentally-broke-my-spotify/

View solution in original post

40 Replies

I just tried clearing the cache, changing the cache directory, and then restarting the desktop app. The problem is the same as before.

Hey @hansmuller,

We've moved your comments to a separate thread since the issue got resolved for the other users in the original one, so the root cause might be different.

As a next step, can you please let us know if the same happens when using a different account? Also, check your hosts file for any Spotify entries using this guide.

Let us know how it goes.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm able to run the web version of Spotify, only the desktop version fails.  The guide you linked to is about "Can't access the Web Player & Clearing host files". Although, just FTR, my /etc/private/hosts file does not contain any spotify entries. 

I've tried restarting my laptop (updated to Sonoma 14.2.1); that hasn't helped. 

When Spotify restarts it often says that it's in "offline mode" (it's _not_ in offline mode). I've tried toggling offline mode on and off, but that hasn't helped either.

I'm having a similar issue. I've tried restarting spotify, logging in and out, clean reinstall of spotify, restarting my laptop, etc. What I find is that after restarting, spotify will play maybe one song, but then when I click "play" or try to play another song, nothing happens. 

Spotify version:

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.26.1187.g36b715a1

Running Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 on a M1 Pro MacBook Pro 2021

Hosts file does not contain any entries containing spotify.

Hey there folks,

Thanks for sharing the info.

For anyone else experiencing this, please make sure to post here as this will speed up the investigation.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, the Community is here for you 🙂 

LyubkaModerator

The macOS desktop player just started working again for me. I've just replaced our cable modem although, before you jump to conclusions, there were no network problems with any other apps before I replaced the modem. I'm pleased that Spotify's desktop app is working again but mystified about what exactly was going wrong. I can live with the mystery though :-).

This issue is not resolved for me, even after restarting spotify.

Hi @prismatk,

Could you try deleting the prefs file from Spotify's installation folder, which holds info about your account's settings:

1. Open Finder on your Mac and click Go > Library (if you don't have hidden folders enabled, press the option key first and it should appear).
  2. Go to Application Support > Spotify.
  3. There you'll find a file called prefs. Simply delete it.
  4. While in the Spotify folder, you'll also find a Users folder. Open it and delete its contents as well.
  5. Restart the Spotify app.

Note that you'll be logged out and you'll have to adjust your settings again. If you had music downloaded for offline listening, you'll have to re-download it as well. Your library, however, will not be affected, so no worries there.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hey @yordan, 

I followed all the steps but it didn't fix the issue. My app is stuck in offline mode, while web version works like charm.

I'm running Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.26.1187.g36b715a1, on Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)

Hi Yordan,

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like this resolves the issue for about an hour of listening, and then the same issue recurs.

+1, this also doesn't resolve my issue and leaves me still in offline mode.

Same exact setup for me:
macOS (Apple Silicon)

I'm also hitting this issue and just found this thread hoping for a solution.  I've re-installed Spotify, cleared my cache.  Restarting it fixes it for a short time...   Same setup as last poster

MacOS (apple silicon)

Hi there folks, 

Thanks for the info. Can you all also confirm if the behaviour is the same regardless of the network being used? 

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator

Hey Joan, in my case I've tried at work (corpo network), home and even through my phone (hotspot). No luck so far. 

Hey folks,

Could you check your Firewall settings and make sure that Spotify is allowed to access your network? It's also worth checking if the issue persists in Safe mode.

Let us know how it goes.

YordanModerator

Hi, thanks for following up.

Tried with multiple connections, as mentioned before, and no luck.

Thanks for checking @Waskaxo!

Something else that's worth trying is initiating the playback from another device or the Web Player, then switching to the desktop app to see if that does the trick. Also, if you're using a VPN, I'd recommend disabling it.

Cheers!

YordanModerator

Plan Premium

Country Norway

Device Macbook Pro 2021

Operating System iOS 14.2.1 (23C71)

My Question or Issue

When I press play on the Spotify app, it looks like the music is playing, but no sound is coming. Have tried deleting the app, updating my Mac, restarting my mac.

When I use Spotify in the web browser it plays music.

Hey @vilde22,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you please try with a different network connection to see if it makes any difference? In case you don't have another one available, you can use a mobile data hotspot to test if you'll experience the same.

It's also a good idea to test with another account. If a family member has a Spotify account, it'd be great to ask them to log in on your device to see if they'll reproduce the issue. This will help us understand if it's account related or not. 

In case the issue persists, we'd suggest performing a clean reinstall on your PC as it should help you solve this. You've mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, however, we usually recommend doing that with the steps in this article. This'll make sure you have the latest version of the app and that any corrupted files from previous installations files are removed.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, the Community is here for you 🙂 

LyubkaModerator

Suggested posts