Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

Rorey
Spotify
Spotify

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

Billie6
Casual Listener
Where is the old page of notifications?

Billie6
Casual Listener
Please bring back the desktop notification feature

user-removed
Not applicable

I use the Notification (Bell) feature in the Desktop app everyday.  

Its removal is very frustrating as there is no way for me to get the information it provided in any other way inside of the desktop app.  

I do not, and will not, use push/e-mail notifications and simply want to be able to see and access a feed of recent activity of artisits/playlists I follow within the desktop app.  

Please bring this feature back.  As a long time Premium user, this change feels like loing features.  

The feature was not broke, why take it away?  If you want to move to a notification based system fine, but why does that have to mean you remove functinality in the app?  

As a 6+ hour daily user, I feel very uncomfrotable with sitting down to use an application that is constanlty getting trimmed of features I use.  

Please reconsider removal of this feature.  I want it back.  

user-removed
Not applicable

It's been about 5 hours since I posted my thoghts, and despite it having been gone now for weeks, my notification bell has gloriously returned!  I didn't have to re-install or re-lanch, it's simply back.

Wow.  Not sure why/how, but I'm very glad to see my old friend 🙂

Rjoseph
Music Fan

Could i please have mine added as well? mine briefly returned for one day but now seems to be permanently gone.

filipealvaro
Casual Listener

Well, my bell is finally back.

From my side, and just if someone from spotify reads this, 80% of the time that I use spotify (more than 8 hours a day) is in the office where I'm loged in on gmail with my work email.

I receive notifivations on my personal email which is logical and so with no "bell" no notifications..

Bell is back and hope to stay!

filipealvaro
Casual Listener

Well NOTIFICATIONS BELL GONE AGAIN..

Really?? One day???

Guys, can you please stop playing with that button or get someone working on it that doesn't shake that much??

I'll try again:

THE DESKTOP BELL is needed. Is not a stupid extra and email will not make it!! I work with my company's gmail loged in not my personal.

Not everybody is on the phone all the time.. I work on a computer!!

I don't see the point of having this discution forum if you don't care about what your clients, regular users and payers of premium for years have not a proper response at least explaning why we are all wrong.

Because guys, it really looks like you are changing for the sake of doing somehting (like if you are bored).

#SPOTIFYBELLBUTTONBACK

XsomX
Roadie

@filipealvaro wrote:

Well NOTIFICATIONS BELL GONE AGAIN..

Really?? One day???

MINE TOO. :((((

Give it back, please!

XsomX
Roadie

I can't understand your decision. It's like me and a huge percent of users were sticking with Spotify cause we had got our favourite music just under our fingers and we knew when somethings new appeared on the market.

Notifications bell was the second most important factor that made me wanted to pay for this service. And now it's gone. I hate mailing spam, I don't want to have any push notifications on my phone. I want to have that stupid bell in the right corner of my desktop app. I want to get back from work, sit in my chair, start Spotify app and listen to everything which was released while I was away. Gimme just that. I don't want complicated algorythms. I just want to be notified when one of my beloved 753 artists will publish something.

THANK YOU.

Zephyr
Roadie

@Rorey wrote:

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

Okay, so by "simplifying" you mean removing an already simple and logic in-app notification center, in favor of email (really?) and push (whatever that means on desktop)? For who is this now simpler and improved?

How will we be kept up to date until that "new way" is deployed? How long will that take? How many notifications will we miss? Here's a hint: complete that work and tell us what it is and let us use it. Then, and only then, would it be a good time to replace an old feature with a new and tested one.

Christ, you really need some new product managers. Remove used feature -> limbo -> implement different feature = disastrous user experience.

- - -
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
- Jorge Luis Borges

wesjuhdabomb
Casual Listener

Well if the windows phone app would have notifications... But it doesn't have. So now I have to re-enable e-mails to get these notifications with all side-effects as mentioned in previous posts.

It was working great so why remove it?

FloDer
Music Fan

Ahoy there! Please. Give me back my bell. As it's the only way I use to get to the new music the artists I follow create. Thank you ❤️

PJEC
Roadie

NEWS FLASH: Email notifications are so 2003...

PJEC
Roadie

Given the feedback you've received I highly suggest you rethink that decision.

deandob
Regular

Dumb move. This was a useful feature and not everyone lives on their phones for listening to music.

I work in the software industry and constantly scratch my head about how spotify does software development, it seems there is very little community engagement on ideas to get feedback. This is the third instance now where the desktop client has gone backwards in features:

1) Removal of 3rd party add-ins (eg. equalizer, visualizations)

2) Removal of option to turn off volume leveling (which reduced the audio quality). Later reinstated but took a while & lots of complaints.

3) Now removal of in-app notifications which means it is now not as easy to know when your favourite artists have released new material available on spotify.

Do the Spotify developer team ever consider the end user impact when making these changes? Especially when the feature is already in the application (ie. likely more work to actually remove it rather than just keep it there)?

srikant96
Casual Listener
thanks god . its still available in Web player

sparkinspace
Music Fan

It seems that the only purpose of my account here on the Spotify forums is to log in once a year to complain about something this team has removed. And lo and behold, one of my most used functions of Spotify was completely missing this morning!

Last time it was the friends activity feed, how long before that came back?

I woke up with 11 emails this morning about new songs, I opened Spotify to listen to them, which is usually just one click on the notification bell and another to start the new song that I want to play. Instead, I have to pull up my email account and go from there, for every song.

I pay a lot of money for this service, as does everyone else here. The last thing we should be getting for our money is less than the month before.

If there are no plans to bring this back, I will definitely be exploring other music services. A blow like this every year is enough to make me not miss losing 5 years of my music history. As primarily a desktop user, I couldn't care less about push notifications on my phone. Those clear after a glance while the notification section of the app served as my go-to place each time I start Spotify. Its own list that auto-updated based on the new music from artists I like.

I'd like a response from the team as to whether or not this function is coming back.

tubbybubby

I woke up with 11 emails this morning about new songs, I opened Spotify to listen to them, which is usually just one click on the notification bell and another to start the new song that I want to play. Instead, I have to pull up my email account and go from there, for every song.  

That comment there says everything. I work at a software company and making users open two separate applications for ANYTHING should never happen.

NauseaNervus
Music Fan
I think it's getting more cleary every day, that this is about business politics: Spotify wants to have people to listen to their own playlists and their algorithms prefer "their music". Spotify is owened by big record companies and their interest is at they artists. Bring back the bell and make some sense, dammit!

nickbishop
Casual Listener

This is f**kin ridicolous...this feature was fully functional and used thoroughly...the notification feature on your web page has NEVER sent me an email or push (I don't even use Spotify on my phone!) about a new album release.

I will give Spotify a few more weeks to fix this problem or else I will switch provider, this is seriously the most aggravating way to treat your customers.

lugarshz

This is crazy.

SUGGESTED POSTS