Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

Rorey
Spotify
Spotify

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

Diegokooks
Regular

I understand that the messenger system will take a large part in hand work, but your service with this new Disability that you add to the platform is going to remove Popularity and Followers, keep it for sure .... you are making your platform a Incomplete site, (it's unfortunate) Greetings to nonconformists and One not very co-ordinated to Spotify .. If you want money exchange of what you do you should add, there is no subtract possibilities

blahsi
Roadie

Notifications probably would have had more engagement had artists been utilizing it, and if new music notifications hadn't taken hours/days to appear... after you'd already discovered them on your own. Also, I mainly used the notifications for when friends sent me messages (another feature you recently removed). To get more engagement, its responsiveness needed to be tweaked, not fully removed.

khardman51
Regular

Spotify officially turning into hot garbagel; removing your most uniqure and loved applciation features left and right. Who are your business analysts, they need to be fired.

some_yuppie

I thought you were in the business of adding features, not removing them. Eat a bag of dicks.

MasterBleepBoop
Casual Listener

HURRY TF UP SPOTFY and give the users that give you revenue , what they want,back.

tripwired
Gig Goer

Spotify, cmon, ffs, just bring the desktop bell back or give us a new system that works.

An artist called David Maxim Micic released a new album today and I received no push notification to my mobile, despite me having the following option:

New Music

Fresh tracks from artists you follow or might like

PUSH: ON

and of course I didn't get notification in the desktop app because you removed the bell. I only know about the release because a friend told me. This is the same for all artists. I don't want to use Release Radar, and that doesn't provide the same functionality anyway. I want individual notifications for new album releases from artists that I follow. Simple. 

You removed the desktop app 'bell' and push notifications to mobile don't work, just fix it. Removed for costs reasons? Increase your price then. Removed for some other cryptic/business reason? Tell us why. Keep us in the dark? Drive us to another service.

trippca
Casual Listener

This was an excellent (albeit buggy) feature that really set you guys apart. Please reconsider doing away with messaging. 

julieemmrich

I have allowed push notifications on my phone for Spotify, but do not get any. 
I also want to mention that I really miss the notification Bell Button on the desktop app. I browse through new music and messages on my computer, not on my mobile phone, I only use spotify on my mobile phone when I am mobile, so I don't have time to browse through new music when I am mobile. Furthermore I am mostly offline on my phone.

Please just find a better solutions to share news, also on the desktop app.

_dan_mooney_
Regular

Fellas, 

Any news on when the push notifications are going to be implemented?

discover weekly and release radar are **bleep**. 

Still not seeing all new releases from artists we're following. 

These lists seems to be what Spotify wants us to listen to. 

How are we meant to know when a playlist is updated? These aren't included in the relsease emails (which aren't very useful either).

Checking each playlist every day is tedious. 

Can we at least get an 'albums coming soon' link? 

Anamon
Roadie

@_dan_mooney_ wrote:

How are we meant to know when a playlist is updated? These aren't included in the relsease emails (which aren't very useful either).

Checking each playlist every day is tedious.

Release Radar is updated every Friday at 00:00, and Discover Weekly every Monday at 00:00. I believe that's tied to your time zone, although it might just be exactly midnight for me because I'm in the same time zone as Spotify HQ.

I agree, though, that Release Radar is no replacement for release notifications. It wouldn't be even if it was implemented properly, which it is not. I follow about 100 artists, and my lists usually contain none of the new tracks by any of them, while consisting mostly of tracks by artists I don't even like.

DenialOfFate

Are you guys planning on brining back the notifications, or what? You know, the particular function was one of the best things with Spotify; that you easily could see when your favourite artists had released a new album or whatever.

Removing the notifications was not only stupid - it was retarded. Aren´t your trying to be user friendly?

Oh, wait, I used to work for Spotify - I know you´re not user friendly. 😉

joe_rtaylor
Casual Listener

So this is why I haven't been notified when my friends updated the playlists I follow, or my favourite artists released new material. All you have done is made it more difficult to discover new music through your platform, and with the consequent removal of the messaging feature, to use spotify in a social sense. Way to kill off some of your best USPs. I honestly do not understand these decisions. Seriously reconsidering my subscription.

user-removed
Not applicable

Still dont understand why notifications / the bell was removed. One of the best features in my opinion was getting notified when a playlist you follow added fresh new music, or when an artist I like/follow posted new music.

Killmarth
Regular
I talk with a friend who runs a label about the notification and his explanation was simple. If, as an artist, you want to receive more views, more notifications, you must pay. I think that's why, they drop the general notification service for another system. Money rules the world!

duncanish
Regular

I don't buy it. I don't see any artist, even the rich ones, buying notifications priority. 

gareth8
Roadie

@duncanish wrote:

I don't buy it. I don't see any artist, even the rich ones, buying notifications priority. 

You'd think not, wouldn't you, but in the news today:

Spotify has confirmed it is experimenting with allowing music labels to promote songs by adding them to users' playlists as sponsored content. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40343385

Which is the way many have suspected is the direction they're moving.

Follow me

makanimike
Music Fan
Ugh! I just got a stupid pop up/ overlay on my Android app pushing Lana del Ray on me! STAHP!

duncanish
Regular

To add insult...

I was just playing my usual playlists and was surprised to hear 'recommended' songs added that I didn't select.  

Spotify, you dare suppose that your additions are better than mine for my own perosnal playlists. The audacity. 

Anamon
Roadie

duncanish schrieb:

To add insult...

I was just playing my usual playlists and was surprised to hear 'recommended' songs added that I didn't select.  

Spotify, you dare suppose that your additions are better than mine for my own perosnal playlists. The audacity. 

At least that one you can disable. Go to settings and disable "AutoPlay". No more random ish cluttering up and disturbing your end-of-playlist experience. I personally can't stand features like that either – there's a reason why I add some tracks to a playlist, and not others. But it seems to be the current way to do it, looking at sites like YouTube and Soundcloud doing the same thing.

For the notifications, however… there is no replacement or workaround within Spotify. It seems that back when they promised to replace it with a new way to be notified of new releases, they were actually seriously considering that Release Radar is a suitable alternative. Nobody who ever listened to music can have been part of that decision-making process.

duncanish
Regular
Thanks for your reply. I'll switch it off yesterday.

Yeah, they are dropping the ball on newer artists and supporting the status quo - labels, already-established trendmakers, and money. A lowest common denominator approach that afflicted Clear Channel and late 90's/2000's radio. Uggh.

rednblu
Roadie

>>>>  dropping the ball on newer . . . . .

May everyone find what they like when they find it . . . .   How to search . . . .  ?

SUGGESTED POSTS