Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Apps

Solved!

Spotify Apps

Hey all, 

Quick question: Do spotify apps (like Last.fm) still work on desktop?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spotify has discontinued apps.

You can read information about it here:
https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/apps/

You can still view lyrics by clicking on the "Lyrics" button in the bottom right corner.

Last.FM scrobble will still work if you have your details entered in the settings page.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

As of 1.0.1, apps are no longer being supported on the desktop client.
Marked as solution

Spotify has discontinued apps.

You can read information about it here:
https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/apps/

You can still view lyrics by clicking on the "Lyrics" button in the bottom right corner.

Last.FM scrobble will still work if you have your details entered in the settings page.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Matt, you keep posting that everyhwere, but how is that supposed to be an acceptable answer? We obviously KNOW that Spotify disconituned apps. The issue here is not confusion. The issue is ANGER at Spotify's decision. It makes no sense.

Creating an API for external sites to use Spotify for their own addon programs DOES NOT REQUIRE the removal of in-program Apps in Spotify.

Changing the X button to fully exit the program DOES NOT REQUIRE the complete removal of the minimize-to-tray option, which could stil be used with the Minimize button.

The recent changes have no logic or reason to them, they basically just remove features that PAYING CUSTOMERS enjoyed, and NEED in order to make Spotify worth paying for.

So, fellow Spotifyers, if you want your Apps back FOR GOOD, just follow the steps below to reinstall the previous version of Spotify and permanently block the forced automatic update! You're welcome! โค๏ธ

Windows:
1. Close Spotify
2. Go to "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Spotify"
3. Delete Spotify_new.exe if existing
4. Create a empty text document, rename it to Spotify_new.exe (if you don't see .txt etc. activate file extension's first).
5. Right click on the Spotify_new.exe and go to the properties, set the attribute Read-only.
6. Download old Spotify (by searching online for version 0.9.15.27 download!)
7. Install it.
8. Have fun.

Mac:
1. Go to your ~/Library folder - you can do this in Finder by doing shift+cmd+g and typing "~/Library" without the quotes and hitting enter
2. Go to Application Support/Spotify
3. Delete Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig (if they are there)
4. Make two blank text documents and save them as "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig" - without the quotes, the same file names as the ones you deleted
5. Right click each file and go to "Get Info"
6. Check the "Locked" button on each and close the info window
7. Download old Spotify (by searching online for version 0.9.15.27 download!)
8. Have fun

@zacharysettle 

In this case, the person asked if apps still worked. They didn't know apps were discontinued. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Suggested posts