Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Mac desktop app not opening. Error Code auth 2

Solved!

Spotify Mac desktop app not opening. Error Code auth 2

Family Premium Plan, Finland.

iMac OS X 10.15 Catalina.

My Question or Issue is I can't open the Spotify desktop app.

I get the red boxed message:

The username or password is incorrect. (Error code: auth 2)

I hadn't changed my login details for years and they work fine on all other devices (phones, tablets, PC laptop). I've reset my password via the official link but still not working. 

I completely (all files) removed and re-installed the app but not working.

I set the proxy settings to no proxy but this didn't work.

The firewall is turned off on this computer.

I suspect the issue is that I recently updated to Mac OS X 10.15 from 10.14 and the Spotify desktop app hasn't been coded properly to work on this new OS. 

However, I'm really hoping someone has a workaround.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there folks,    

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!        

Make sure you perform a clean reinstall of the app on the device on which you can't log in. This will make sure you get the latest app version with all necessary updates, but also get rid of any corrupted files from previous installations. 

It's also a good idea to check if you need to remove some entries from your hosts file. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press Return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with "Spotify" in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with "Spotify", please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart the Spotify app

If you use Windows OS you'll find the steps for cleaning your hosts file here. When on mobile device, make sure to disable any power saving or data cleaning settings that might run active. 

Keep us posted. We'll be here if you have any questions.     

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Same issue here.

Been using Spotify for years on iPhone, iPad and Windows laptop.
Got a brand new MacBook Pro today (OSX 10.15.4, Catalina) and immediately installed Spotify app.
Won't accept my password.
Reset password via official link
Set up a 'device' password, whatever that is.
Can't log in to Spotify app on MBP using either my account password or my device password.

Red box as the message above:
The username or password is incorrect (Error code: auth:2)

Same exact issue. Anyone find a solution for this?

Marked as solution

Hey there folks,    

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!        

Make sure you perform a clean reinstall of the app on the device on which you can't log in. This will make sure you get the latest app version with all necessary updates, but also get rid of any corrupted files from previous installations. 

It's also a good idea to check if you need to remove some entries from your hosts file. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press Return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with "Spotify" in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with "Spotify", please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart the Spotify app

If you use Windows OS you'll find the steps for cleaning your hosts file here. When on mobile device, make sure to disable any power saving or data cleaning settings that might run active. 

Keep us posted. We'll be here if you have any questions.     

Yes it works for me. Thank you Ivan.

I followed the instructions on the clean install link you posted in your message and I now have a working Mac desktop app for Spotify.

Top job mate.

Check out Ivan's solution. It worked for me.

This worked for me! Thanks so much!

Suggested posts