Free

Australia

Device:

iMac (Mid-2007)

Operating System:

Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

My Question or Issue:

Hi,

I recently updated Spotify to the latest version, and since then the app will not start up any more. Actually, when I open Spotify, the black screen appears for about 2 seconds and then the app crashes. I have done a clean reinstall, but to no avail. I will really miss having Spotify on my computer if this cannot be fixed.

Cheers!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Hockeycatcat,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and for the troubleshooting so far. 

As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently and you mention that you can log in on other devices, we feel this is most likely isolated to your device or specific setup. We recommend keeping an eye out for future updates to the app, but can't set a specific timeframe for when this issue will be fixed. For now, we recommend contacting the device manufacturer for further help.

Keep us posted. The Community is here for you if you have any questions. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hey @Hockeycatcat,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend the steps in that guide, as they’re very thorough and make sure no damaged leftover files remain. It's a good idea to also make sure that the app is authorized to run without restrictions and is excluded from your firewall and antivirus software. 

If that's the case and the issue remains, you should also check your host files. Even though it was written for another topic, this page has instructions on how to do this. ​​​​​

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Mihail Moderator

Hi @Mihail and thank you for replying.

I had done a clean reinstallation with a different method before, but I just used your method with no luck. There were also no host file issues. My firewall and antivirus already had Spotify excluded, it just suddenly started crashing yesterday after I updated it. I'm sorry to be a pain.

Cheers,
Hockeycatcat

Hey @Hockeycatcat,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Does this happen when connected to a different internet connection? How about when logging in on a different device?

If you could ask a friend or family member to log in to their account on your Mac and see if the issue comes up there as well, that would be a great help.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

Hi @Mihail

The Internet connection is not the problem, it's the app itself. I can log in fine on other devices. If I were to try to get someone else to log into Spotify on this Mac, they wouldn't be able to because the app will crash before you even see the login screen.

Cheers,
Hockeycatcat

Hi there @Hockeycatcat

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Would you mind checking if the OS of your PC has any pending updates?

On another note, could you let us know how much storage space does your device have available?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni,

My computer does not have any pending updates because it is obsolete. I currently have over 90 GB of free space remaining, but Spotify has worked in the past when I only had 5 GB remaining.
Marked as solution

Hey @Hockeycatcat,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and for the troubleshooting so far. 

As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently and you mention that you can log in on other devices, we feel this is most likely isolated to your device or specific setup. We recommend keeping an eye out for future updates to the app, but can't set a specific timeframe for when this issue will be fixed. For now, we recommend contacting the device manufacturer for further help.

Keep us posted. The Community is here for you if you have any questions. 

Mihail Moderator

Thank you, Mihail.

I will most certainly try again in a month or so, when an update is probably out. I will use the Web version for now! Thank you again for your help, Mihail and Eni.

Cheers,
Hockeycatcat

Suggested posts