Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps skipping

Solved!

Spotify keeps skipping

Every since I installed Spotify on my computer, it keeps skipping every few seconds with practically every single song. I tried re-installing but still experience the same problem. Not really sure what else to do, but it's pretty annoying.

228 Replies

Itunes is definitely not the issue, I also have itunes on one machine and not on the other and for me it skips on the one without itunes

I found a solution: Go to Edit > Preferences > under 'local files' uncheck iTunes.

Spotify may not be able to see the files you have in iTunes, but you will be able to play from Spotify without the skipping.

After reading through many users issues with the skipping I realized that I had started skipping right after I got my new Iphone and installed itunes on my machine.  After some trial and error, I found that after  I UNCHECKED ALL LOCAL FILES ON THE PREFERENCES PAGE (WINDOWS MUSIC LIBRARY, DOWNLOADS, WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, AND iTUNES) THE SKIPPING STOPPED!!!!!!!!  I hope this is of some help.  Happy listening.

Skipping was also fixed for me by unchecking every source from the Local Files section in preferences.

I have figured out the culprate.

I noticed the skipping recently and just figured it ws a cache error or something with connectivity.
Well, It's not. What it is, Is that Spotify was picking up the music files I already had on my pc and replacing the spotify song with the version on my computer. I assume this is  so that it could cut streaming times or something like that. I know this is the problem because I had a unfinished torrent of an Incubus discography also, while I had been trying to play Incubus from my spotify playlist. It skipped. I did everything I thought would fix the skip. It didn't. I then remembered how I had that unfinished torrent. Well, If you deal with torrents then you know that an incomplete one can still play as it is being downloaded in bits. Therefore if you were to play an incomplete song it would result in skipping. 

So, yes the problem is having every source from the Local Files section in preferences checked. 

Spotify takes your music files on you pc and will play those over the spotify version. Therefore if you have any messed up songs, incomplete songs, etc, etc delete them or uncheck those sources in the Spotify preferences.

Whatever the issue is, it needs to stop. I unchecked all the local sources, and even before that it was happening with songs I dont even have in my library.  After removing the local sources in the preferences, it still skips and gives me connectivity issues with the newest version. I updated Spotify and this happens now. I PAY MONEY TO USE THE SERVICE AND WILL BE CUTTING IT OFF AND GOING BACK TO YOUTUBE PLAYLISTS IF THIS CANNOT BE RECTIFIED. It is beyond ridiculous that paying customers get the crap service while the people who illegaly download the files have no issue. This is a poor business model if you have no plans to fix this or update/expand your servers.

EDIT: AFTER 7 RE-installs it works perfectly, even with all the stuff checked and acceleration on. So it's just the install is rather shotty Mr Spotty-fy.

I think an issue might be doing an update while the program is running. I kept trying to install, and the program was hidden in the background running (not in my toolbar or taskbar). Did a complete uni-install and then re-install. Hope this helps anyone else.

I have no local files on my main Spotify machine and Spotify will randomly stutter, skip and stop playing momentarily. This is with the older Windows client, v08.5.133. I've come to believe that Spotify's P2P system that they use for music delivery on desktop clients just doesn't work from time to time.

That said, there are also issues at times in the mobile client for my iPhone (I also have Spotify on Android but it keeps logging me out so I don't use it that much). I think the issues are because Spotify doesn't prefetch enough of a song and subsequently buffer more intelligently. So if there's the smallest glitch in the wifi, i.e. contention on a public wifi, the music stops/pauses/glitches.

i have unchecked local files as well - hopefully that will solve the problem. 

i dont think its a caching issue for streaming - as i've tried downloading tracks first and still have had the same problem. 

honestly i think its a bug in the spotify client itself - it doesn't manage its memory (RAM) resources properly. 

literally as i type this after unchecking local files i get yet another blip in the audio stream.  

i DO notice that when i have other applications running that activity, such as scrolling in a web window, will kick that off.

i wouldn't think an app like this needed that much memory - but its possible it works like firefox and just eats up ram for lunch. 

i would highly suggest the developers and maintainers of this app take a much better look at this problem b/c its obvious from reading these posts that subscribers just can't tolerate that kind of blip in their audio stream - i know it drives me absolutely bonkers - like the illuminati are ruining my music bliss or something 😛

re: RAM usage - i see the client is using 185M - the most of any app currently running, last runner up is an instance of chrome @ 135M (probably the spotify website LOL).  

MEMORY HOGS!!!!!!!  🙂  

fix that sh$%T!

i have a laptop running windows xp and no itunes and it skips like mad

@cmscode wrote:

i have a laptop running windows xp and no itunes and it skips like mad

Have you tried unticking Enable Hardware Acceleration from Preferences? That often helps with performance issues on Windows XP.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

thanks for the update - yes i have tried that, but, i noticed that it has reverted back.  i unchecked it again, and if i continue to have the problem i'll check and see if its re-enabled itself.   

and if that's your actual house in the photo - that's a pretty sweet view. must make the commute to (sweden?) hard 😛

no skipping - i would suggest that anyone that has tried this and it continue to skip, see if its getting reset when you re-open the app, i suspect that's part of the problem - if it is could you guys (ze spotify folks) check it out. 

thanks so much! no skipping === :>)

I had the same problem when playing this through my HDMI cable, when i used my speakers it stopped.  So check you HDMI

Thank you so much!!!  This solution worked for me!  

Nothing so far on this forum did anything and it kept skipping.  For the record, I do have iTunes on this computer, but as soon as I unchecked the boxes the songs stopped skipping 🙂  

Maybe it has something to do with how spotify checks for local songs?  I don't know...either way, this worked 🙂  

Thanks Baresmarts!

This solved my problem on my windows desktop.  Can't find the counterpart to solve my problems on my iphone.  Thanks Baresmarts.

More than disappointing that Spotify doesn't have post that addresses this or notifies users of this.  I pay them a monthly stipend.  Their service should cover informing users how to avoid this common problem.  If they want to survive they need to step up their game.

If you have issues with your iphone, post details in the iOS section and I'm sure folk will help you.

@BENLEO56 wrote:

This solved my problem on my windows desktop.  Can't find the counterpart to solve my problems on my iphone.  Thanks Baresmarts.

More than disappointing that Spotify doesn't have post that addresses this or notifies users of this.  I pay them a monthly stipend.  Their service should cover informing users how to avoid this common problem.  If they want to survive they need to step up their game.

Hi guys, I want to play local audio files on my computer. The local audio files are not available for streaming via Spotify.

If I uncheck the local files how can I play them without skipping. Only the local files currently skip and it seems to be a spotify bug with local files. Can we fix that regardless of the file source there is no skipping what so ever?

Please let me know.

Thank you!

What OS are you using? Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in spotify's preferences?

@chromoprinter wrote:

Hi guys, I want to play local audio files on my computer. The local audio files are not available for streaming via Spotify.

If I uncheck the local files how can I play them without skipping. Only the local files currently skip and it seems to be a spotify bug with local files. Can we fix that regardless of the file source there is no skipping what so ever?

Please let me know.

Thank you!

Thank you for your reply Jwylot,

I'm running Mac OS X 10.8.4 Spotify v. 0.9.1.57.ge7405149

I have tried turning off  and on the gapless playback and crossfades as suggested.

I have cleared the cache folder as suggested and restarted Spotify.

I have opened the files in other applications as suggested and they are working fine.

I thought it could be a RAM issue considering I work in Photoshop and Spotify at the same time.

However, I tried the same playback using iTunes while working in Photoshop and there is no skipping.

In my opinion, there seems to be an error in how Spotify is reading local files from the hard disk and caching them.
If this can be fixed or resolved I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Suggested posts