Premiem

Country

USA

Device

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

Operating System

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

My Question or Issue

Spotify will not close properly. It gets stuck every time I try to quit and always requires a force quit. Here is a video of the issue.

17 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

Keep me posted.

The clean install did not work and I’m already on 10.14.6. After reinstalling, the app quit properly the first time but now continues to freeze and require a force quit.

Hey @techno_telemann,

Could you try disabling Hardware Acceleration?

Just open the Spotify Menu in the Menu Bar next to the  logo and you can find it there.

Let me know how that goes 🙂

I disabled hardware acceleration, but the issue persists.

Hey @techno_telemann,

Try in Safe Mode, reinstall Spotify there to see if that makes a difference.

To enter Safe Mode first make sure Firmware password is off and just hold the shift key once you hit the button to turn on the Mac.

Let me know how that goes 🙂

Sorry for the very late response on this one, but installing in Safe Mode did not change anything. The app still requires a force quit to close.

Me too .. Been dealing w/ Spotify tech help and can't figure it out. Android Kyocera 

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you share more details on the issues you are having with the app on your device, are you also not able to close the app?

We'd also need more device setup info as brand/model, exact operating system of the device and the Spotify app version you're using. 

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Force Quit Spotify in Task Manager
1) On your keyboard, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc at the same time to open Task Manager. 2) Click Spotify and click End task. If you have more than one entry, please make sure you click all the tasks listed. Open your Spotify again to see if the problem is resolved.

Regards,

Will

My friend and I have also been seeing this issue on Win 10. Very annoying. He tried reinstalling and it did not fix the issue. 

Hey @thepaul1246,

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, we understand your friend has already tried reinstalling the app on their device, did you try it as well? If you haven't yet, we'd like you to try, a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app, so you can be sure the cache is not leading to this behavior. You can find out the steps to do it here.

If that doesn't do the trick, we'd suggest you give a try to what @William241 kindly suggested above. Let us know how it goes.

Lastly, can you share with us the exact Spotify version you have currently running?

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

I've also been having this problem on Windows 10 for the past few months.  

Current version:

Spotify for Windows
1.1.99.878.g1e4ccc6e

Here are the specifics:

• Spotify will get locked up or unresponsive.  The program will still minimize and maximize from the task bar but it is unresponsive to any actions within the program.  In the windows task manager (ctrl + shift + esc), on the "details" tab there are 6 different Spotify.exe "tasks" which all show "Running" in the "Status" column.
  • When I attempt to close ('X' at the top right corner of the window), Spotify "appears" to close but won't re-launch when I try to start it again.  In the windows task manager, the 6 different Spotify.exe "tasks" are still shown as "Running".  Sometimes I have to "End task" all 6 of them,  other times I will "End task" a few of them and then the rest will close.
  • Once Spotify has been force-closed through the windows task manager, I can re-launch it and it operates properly again.

I tried a full (clean) reinstall but Spotify still exhibits this issue about once a week.

Hey there @mrjim_com

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Could you please try running the app in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking to rule out any issues with your default Windows settings and basic device drivers? Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Eni, thank you for the response but unfortunately that's not a feasible test in my case. As I said, it does this about once a week or so and I have Spotify open constantly. I can't boot my work computer into safe mode for weeks at a time to see if the issue persists. The issue isn't repeatable enough to make any judgements based on a few "short term" Safe Mode boots. Do you have any other suggestions?

Hey @mrjim_com,

Thanks for getting back to us.

In this case, would it be possible to try and find a pattern i.e. a way to consistently reproduce the issue (running another program, using the search bar, playing specific content etc.), as we weren't able to on our end? That way, we can easily pass this on to the relevant team for further review. 

Cheers!

MihailYModerator

It still happens in macOS 14.2.1 and Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.26.1187.g36b715a1
I generally notice it when the system updater cannot get the system to reboot for an update because the Spotify app won't close. Pretty sure this happens every time. The other times the app locks up or the behavior of the full screen/expand button changes. It seems to switch between going full screen and just filling the window.

Hey folks!

For anyone still experiencing this issue, please go over the troubleshooting steps in the posts above.
Should the issue persist, please provide us with the following details:

• Your device & its OS version (see @brent_wilkins's post above)
  • Your Spotify app version
  • The troubleshooting steps you've covered so far
  • A summary of the errors you're encountering

Once we gather this info, we'll be able to alert the folks backstage and hopefully get a fix soon in case this is an issue on our end 🙂

Many thanks! We'll be on the lookout for new replies here.

VasilModerator

Suggested posts