Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Turning OFF "Publish my new playlists on my profile" does not prevent playlists from going PUBLIC

Solved!

Turning OFF "Publish my new playlists on my profile" does not prevent playlists from going PUBLIC

My Question or Issue

Every playlist I create goes PUBLIC to my profile by default regardless of the selection of the "Publish my new playlists on my profile" config in Settings under "Social".

I have logged in an out of Spotify Mac Desktop App and toggled the configuration on and off. As you can see from my example playlist screenshot created today, the playlist is public and I have the option to set to "Private", but it should be set to "Private" after creating because of my Settings.

Plan

Premium

Country

Usa

Device

iPhone 11 Pro & MacBook Pro 2021

Operating System

iOS 16.3.1 & macOS Ventura 13.2

Spotify Version

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.6.863.ge7902f05

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 10.29.16 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 10.30.00 AM.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @saturdaysage

This is expected behavior. The toggle you are adjusting determines if a playlist is automatically added to your profile, not if a playlist is automatically set to private.

A playlist can be public without being visible on your profile page. When a playlist is set to private, it cannot be added to your profile.

The screenshot you provided shows that the playlist is currently set to public, but other users would not be able to find it by clicking on your profile. Whenever you make a new playlist, if you wish it to be truly private, you will have to select the option each time.

Please read this article for more information.

If my answer was useful, don't forget to give it a 'Like!'

If my answer was the solution, don't forget to mark it as the solution!

Thanks! 😇

If you need anything else, please reply and ask,
or shoot me a Private Message!

Feel free to follow my Spotify or Community profiles! 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Spotify.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @saturdaysage

This is expected behavior. The toggle you are adjusting determines if a playlist is automatically added to your profile, not if a playlist is automatically set to private.

A playlist can be public without being visible on your profile page. When a playlist is set to private, it cannot be added to your profile.

The screenshot you provided shows that the playlist is currently set to public, but other users would not be able to find it by clicking on your profile. Whenever you make a new playlist, if you wish it to be truly private, you will have to select the option each time.

Please read this article for more information.

Thanks! 😇

Okay that makes sense then. If I have this setting toggled off, am I still able to add playlists manually to and off of my profile? Is there a separate article with how that works?

Thank you!

@saturdaysage

Yes, you can still manually choose which playlists are visible on your profile.

Here is a thread that explains the difference between public and private.

Thanks! 😇

Suggested posts