Video ads way too loud

Solved!

Re: Video ads way too loud

donovan67
Casual Listener

Just want to second this.  It's causing a lot of inconvenience for me at work.

For what it's worth, the problem varies from one ad to another.  Not all of them are equally loud.  The one that is causing me, by far, the most trouble is an ad for Spotify Premium.  It features a female voice and starts out with something about slow internet "got you down?"  Sorry, cannot remember the exact wording.  Whatever happened, it hasn't always been this way.

Anyway, I may have to stop using Spotify at work.  I know signing up for Premium would solve the problem but I'm not paying money because the free version is suddenly not usable in my office.

Nokaoii
Casual Listener

I just gave up and switched to Google Play Music.

They had a free 6 month trial with Youtube Music combined and now they've announced their Free ad support version I will use afterwards.

This long without Spotify even acknowledging that this is an issue that they will investigate or one they know about and are working on is way too long for me.

Done with Spotify.

Good luck.

donovan67
Casual Listener

Follow-up post.  The ad I mentioned just came on again.  It's for the "Get three months of Premium for $0.99" promotion.  It starts with a female voice saying "Got no Internet?"  Not only is the ad much louder than the music, the voice is somewhat piercing and really exacerbates the issue.  That ad has come up twice in the last 30 minutes.  :(

Edited to fix a typo

donovan67
Casual Listener

In the Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due department, the ad I posted about yesterday appears to have been fixed.  It's come on three or four times and the volume is right in line with the music.  I held off posting to make sure it wasn't a fluke but this ad is not an issue anymore, at least for me.

There are others that are still much louder than the music stream, however.  I wonder if this is something they can fix across the board or if we have to flag each ad on a case-by-case basis?  That would be a little disappointing but worth the effort if it gets quick results.

donovan67
Casual Listener

Nevermind what I posted last week.  The offending ad is back to its former (way too loud) volume.  And there are some new ones that are even worse.  Since no one at Spotify seems to be paying any attention to this thread I see no point in continuing to post.

Tonst3r
Casual Listener

Paying Pandora for my music services going forward.

How long does it take an incompetent team of asses to fix this volume problem.

Never paying such a trash company again. Shame, prefered it to pandora, but now I have no choice. Literally cannot listen to music when theres a random 400000 decible ad throughout the day. 

Spotify... you are seriously dumber then a sack of rocks for letting this go unfixed. Imagine how much potential revenue you'd get if someone over there did their darn job.

DividingByZero
Casual Listener

I am having the same darn problem.  I know for a fact that this isn't a technical issue, it is a marketing tactic.  Just like television ads pump up the volume over the actual shows, they think we will listen more if they blast it.

Now - I know this is a side effect of using the free version - but I do think it is bad practice.  Not to mention it literally hurts my ears - I have the music at a good (safe) level and wear earbuds.  All of a sudden I am getting blasted (at unsafe sound levels)  that Public Enemy has a new album.  I will go as far as suggesting that there could be grounds for a lawsuit due to the unsafe sound levels.

I have been using for years and I am constantly sharing music links (Facebook, Twitter, etc...).  I will probably stop that if they continue this practice.  Eventually I will be done altogether.

twhittet

New user here, thought I'd try it out coming from Pandora.  With my full stereo I can crank it up high enough for music to be "clear" but I wouldn't say loud.  Then the ads come on BLARING.  With a tablet I can barely hear the music (Pandora plays nice and loud - as well as using ads at the same volume).

Also assume this is a marketing trick developed by a 10 year old.  I'm certainly not going to pay for premium because I doubt the normal volume with be any more useful, making it impossible to use on tablet or phone, and barely usable with a full system. 

rdmickey1989
Casual Listener

Wanted to update everyone - It had been one month after my last post and we have had yet another Spotify update. 

• Loud ads continue several times an hour utilizing spotify installed on my computer. I have tried everything I know to adjust and nothing works. 

HOWEVER

• Spotify web player in Chrome still works GREAT. The ads play...but at the same volume as the music. It is the only way I listen at work now. I have been using it this way for a month. Consistent volume. 

Try using the spotify web player !! 

https://player.spotify.com/

DividingByZero
Casual Listener

Just got blasted again with a REALLY LOUD ad for Public Enemy (it seems to be only some ads, this one is the most common to be too loud).  And when I say "REALLY LOUD" I mean so loud that I can still hear it perfectly clearly even with the volume down to 1% - so when it is up at my normal listening level of about 45% or so (spotify at 45%, computer main 75%) it is blaring.   

It is crazy that this is allowed, and might even be illegal (not sure if the same rules apply that do on TV commercials).  At a minimum you are actively damaging people's hearing, which is just bad business.

I see another user said that the web player doesn't have the same problem, I may check that out - but I much prefer using the dedicated app instead of having to leave a web browser window open.

SUGGESTED POSTS