Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Video ads way too loud

Solved!

Video ads way too loud

Listening to my music at a reasonable volume and then all of a sudden a video ad will come blaring on, seemingly at least twice as loud as my actual music volume. Loud enough to ****ing literally hurt my ears. This needs to fixed immediately. This latest update is just a mess. The lead developer and anyone who OK'd the update should be fired. The update should be rolled back until someone competent, and who also values user experience, is put in charge.
193 Replies

Number 1 was already enabled and the ads are still entirely too loud.

Number 2 isn't an option for me.

Why are the ads so loud? They haven't been loud for a while and all of a sudden they are today. They are blasting my ear and I'm not a happy camper. Why did it change? It's illegal for ads to be louder than shows on TV so I imagine it's illegal to do so on the internet.

That didnt help at all 😞

I have the playback option of all songs being the same volume, but it doesnt help with your video ads, so Goodjob on making that actually work 😄 

I realize that this topic was initiated quite some time ago, and more than once in the past four years, but I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring.

My first thought, upon reading the complaints above, is that Spotify knows exactly what it is doing. Threatening a company that you will stop using their free service isn't exactly a solid tactic. 

My second thought: my ears still hurt, despite agreeing with Spotify's methods. I am perfectly able of fixing this (either use a different free service or pay up to receive a better service), but in playing ads so loudly that a person's first reaction is to violently throw their buds out and immediately resent the ad, its content, and its creator, perhaps Spotify is doing a disjustice to the respective ad companies that are paying good money to advertise with them. 

Thus, I suggest, my dear comrades and mutually maimed, that we voice our concerns to the ad companies and not to Spotify. Let the advertisers know that Spotify plays their ads in such a way that it completely ruins the purpose of the ad and effectively wastes their money. Also, don't swear. It makes you sound thick and weakens your argument. 

Soren

Marked as solution

I listen to Spotify on various computers and my mobile smartphone using the app on each device. I noticed that on one computer at work, the volume of the adds was a lot louder than the music. I started looking for a solution as the noise level from the adds was seriously annoying in an office environment.

I searched for a solution but did not find anything online that actually worked for me. I started comparing my Spotify settings on each device since I only experienced this issue on one computer. Turns out you need to leave the volume level in Spotify on full and instead control the volume via Windows or from the speakers or mobile device volume control. On this particular problem computer, I had lowered the Spotify volume to about half level. So when the adds played, they ignored the volume setting in Spotify and instead played like it was set to maximum. However Spotify cannot override the volume settings in Windows or on your speakers.

Sorry, that's not a solution. The problem is they have the dang ads WAY
overly compressed so the average volume is MUCH too high. I really can't
listen at all. There is nothing more obtrusive and deafening than some
bimbo voice talent screaming in my headphones about some genre of music 360
degrees away from what I was listening to. Or some stupid hiphop beat so
compressed the high hat is deafening, not to mention the bass blowing out
my headphones. I really can't listen at all without my hand on the mute.

This needs a fix, before my speakers are blown due to the fact of insane ad volume. 

Trying this out today. So far so good. Thank you for your cleverness.

The problem here is that Spotify ad production teams aren't mixing in at the same levels. I find specifically the Spotify ads are WAY higher in volume than most other ads, and the mash-ups during the ads very annoying to listen to. Perhaps, this is just a strategy to get listeners to give in for 10$ a month

Honestly, it makes sense... For Spotify, anyway. If I were a company
advertising through Spotify, being promised a certain sized audience for my
money, I'd be more than upset to learn that Spotify actively alienates a
chunk of that audience I'm paying for.

Also - as previously suggested, I've been trying out the "max Spotify
volume, reduced system volume" method, and it works well.

Soren

😞 This problem still hasn't been fixed... even when trying both methods, the ads are extremely louder than the songs even with the "same volume for all songs" option, you guys need TO FIX THIS PROBLEM INSTEAD OF GIVING PEOPLE "SOLUTIONS" THAT DON'T EVEN WORK.

Less than a minute after posting a message... I saw your message, I agree we shall go complain to the advertisers.

*gathers comrade*

*complains*

This issue is clearly not "solved" xD

I listened to music at 10% because I had other audio running primarily. I tryed to tab on my desktop and land on spotify my mouse cursor randomly lands on the ad video and all hel l breaks lose. You can advertise as much as you want but dont frakking hurt our ears or our hardware with that..

Their never going to solve it I swear it's been a common problem for months now and still they haven't done anything to fix it, my frigging headphones might go out because of them.

Maybe a class action lawsuit is in order? cause it is very damaging to ears.

Yes it's damaging to my ears as well as my headphones.

Yes it's damaging to my ears as well as my headphones.

Tinnitus damage.

Tinnitus damage.

This solution doesn't help I'm ready to dump spotify before I go deaf 

Suggested posts