Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

CPU usage

CPU usage

Hi, 

Experiencing high usage of the CPU (much more than ordinary). Normal values ranging between 1-4%. 

My plan is premium, platform windows-10. 

This occured sometime late last week. 

AndreasH1_1-1594034991755.png

17 Replies

i have same thing in my macbook pro, i am thinking last update cause high cpu uses.

Hey @AndreasH1 and @volkanozenc,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind checking if you have any hardware-acceleration feature (or similar) active at the moment? If you do, deactivate it and the CPU usage should be back to the ordinary values. 

Let us know how this goes. We'll be here if there's anything else we can help with!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

here is my new open topic with this problem. I try deactivate hardware acceleration. Read my topic...
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/MacOS-App-High-100-CPU-Use-After-Lastest-Version/m-p/49...

Hey Mario, 

Thanks for the quick response. 

I can only talk for myself, but I don't have any active hardware acceleration features at the moment. I have even turned it off in the settings to see if that helped, it did not. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for the quick reply.

@AndreasH1, do you still experience this after a thorough reinstall of the Spotify app and restarting your Windows 10?

@volkanozenc, thank you for sharing your post and the useful info. Would you mind logging in to your account using a different MacBook Pro 2019 13' to see if you experience the same? At this point, in order to find a solution we should see if this is an issue and if/how can be reproduced and this test would be very helpful. 

We'll look out for your next reply and be available to help with anything else as well in the meantime!

Mario Moderator

@Mario

I also try logging diffrent macbook pro 2019 13' but the problem high cpu use is continuous in lastest version macOS app.

Hey @volkanozenc,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

It'd be great if you'd share some screenshots/videos about the different devices you tested (besides what you already shared). 

We'll keep looking into this and address it accordingly if it turns out to be a wider-scale issue.

Thanks for your collaboration and patience so far!

Mario Moderator

thats the other device i am logging in with my account. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 15.53.36.png

Hey @volkanozenc,

Thanks for replying and the required info. 

At this point, would you mind confirming 1) the exact MacOS verion for both devices and 2) the exact Spotify version for both devices? 

We'll take it from there and keep you posted.

Mario Moderator

Boths devices running latest macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and using latest Spotify version 1.1.36.734.g8731c306

Hey @volkanozenc,

Thank you for another quick reply and the info.

We'll be in touch as soon as possible regarding this. 

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime!

Mario Moderator

thanks for everything Mario ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Mario,
I did still experience it after reinstalling the app, but after restarting windows it seems to be back to normal.

Hi,
I have the same problem. It appears when Iโ€™m playing music on my playlists (also generated for me), when I start listening to playlists created for my friends, or listening to the song itself from the artist, the problem disappears.

1.1.36.734.g8731c306 (Microsoft Store)

Windows10 1909

i7-8700K

Hi, 

After some further testing it appears this is the case for me as well, i didn't reflect that I tested with another list yesterday, but testing now with one list generated for me the issue reappears, but on a self-created list the issue doesn't exist. 

Spotify-version 1.1.36.734

Windows 10 Pro 1903

i7 7700

I appear to be experiencing the same issue (or at least the same symptoms). I have tried restarting Spotify, restarting Windows and disabling hardware acceleration, but no improvement. I also find that sometimes starting a song playing makes the CPU usage drop back to normal, but eventually it will go back up again (with music still playing).

Details are:
Spotify version: 1.1.36.734.g8731c306
Windows version: Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.330

I haven't tried a full reinstall yet, but I will do. It sounds as though others have found this does not help in this instance though.

At the moment I'm using Spotify nearly every day and I've only noticed it today due to my laptop's cooling fans going crazy.

Any questions, just ask.

OK, I have the same problem. After some time Spotify locks CPU at ~100% and vents go crazy. This happens on my Dell laptop and desktop PC. I tried even with HW acceleration set to off.

wth is wrong with Spotify developers (if they are developers at all)?

Suggested posts