Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't uninstall Microsoft Store version manually or with tools

Solved!

Can't uninstall Microsoft Store version manually or with tools

I have a Windows 10 with the Microsoft Store version of Spotify installed, and I can't uninstall it. It appears in the Windows' "Add and remove programs" list, but clicking Uninstall only makes it disappear from the list, and when you click the Desktop shortcut (see attachment), Spotify opens normally and reappears into the app list.

When Spotify is in the Window 10 add/remove programs list, running a stand-alone installer says you have a Microsoft Store version installed, and prompts to uninstall it. If Spotify isn’t visible in the apps list, running a standalone installer opens the Microsoft Store version that hasn’t really gone anywhere.

I have tried the following:

• Uninstalling with the Windows 10 native tool, see above.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling without a network connection, see above.
  • Trying to uninstall it with IObit UnInstaller and CCleaner, but it’s not visible in either of their list of apps, irrespective of whether it’s visible in the native Windows 10 uninstall tool or not
  • Removing it manually, using PowerShell to delete every file, directory, et cetera that has something to do with Spotify, followed by deleting every mention of Spotify from the Registry, either manually one by one using Regedit, or with CCleaner.

I need to install the stand-alone version because Airfoil requires it, but the Microsoft Store version is as easy to get rid of as Jason Voorhees.

Capture.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

...aaand of course I figured it out right after posting this. The Revo Uninstaller got rid of it, and presumably IObit Uninstaller might have as well, had I checked the list of Windows Apps instead of normal apps. 🙄

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

...aaand of course I figured it out right after posting this. The Revo Uninstaller got rid of it, and presumably IObit Uninstaller might have as well, had I checked the list of Windows Apps instead of normal apps. 🙄

Suggested posts