Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot use local files

Solved!

Cannot use local files

I have a folder on my desktop for music i would like to add to spotify. Now when i have it selected in my preferences it still won't show up. I downloaded it from google, disabled the security on it and it still won't work

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@Joshua36

I don't think the location where you obtain the files matters at this point. 🙂
You can try wiping your Local File cache, maybe this will clear things out a little:

0. Close Spotify.

1. Go to %AppData%
2. You'll fid yourself in Roaming. Find the Spotify folder and enter it.
3. Go to Users, click on your user folder (looks like 1234557-user).

4. There is a file called local-files.bnk. Delete it.

Now when you open Spotify, it will start looking up your local file storage again.

I doubt tags matter here as well. I asked Spotify to find my local files... Some of the files have no artist and album info (despite the fact they actually do). Just in case you should try playing the files on your local media player.

The files should not be DRM-protected. Info about this should be visible when you check the file's properties (Details) in the file explorer.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hey @Joshua36

First of all, I need to know what OS are you running. 🙂
Let me know what format the files are in, too!

I'd recommend putting the folder into 'My Music' library, which you'll find in the file browser. Spotify should have no problems picking the files up from there. You can keep a shortcut of this folder on the desktop.

If the songs are in lossless format (.flac, .wav, .aiff or other), they are not supported.
If the songs are in .aac or .m4a format, I recommend updating Quicktime.

SebastySpotify Star

I am running windows 10. the files are in mp3 format. I have put the file into every music library i have on this computer and i still can't get it to work. 

Also i downloaded it from google, could that be a problem? i just went and downloaded a NCS song and it worked perfectly fine.

Marked as solution

@Joshua36

I don't think the location where you obtain the files matters at this point. 🙂
You can try wiping your Local File cache, maybe this will clear things out a little:

0. Close Spotify.

1. Go to %AppData%
2. You'll fid yourself in Roaming. Find the Spotify folder and enter it.
3. Go to Users, click on your user folder (looks like 1234557-user).

4. There is a file called local-files.bnk. Delete it.

Now when you open Spotify, it will start looking up your local file storage again.

I doubt tags matter here as well. I asked Spotify to find my local files... Some of the files have no artist and album info (despite the fact they actually do). Just in case you should try playing the files on your local media player.

The files should not be DRM-protected. Info about this should be visible when you check the file's properties (Details) in the file explorer.

SebastySpotify Star

My spotify folder has disapeared... It also says i have no valid profile now. Any idea why?

Edit: I just re installed spotify and its back to normal, and i tried your suggestion and it didn't work. if it helps here is the song:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6PvYYfiTdX9SHF2RXZ2eWk0QkU/edit

@Joshua36

That was an interesting glitch. Glad you got it sorted!

About the file: it appears to be a .wav file. 16-bit lossless audio file equivalent to cd quality. Spotify doesn't support .wav files. 🙂

If you wish to have this file on Spotify, you'll have to convert it to mp3. You can do it in any audio editor program (such as Audacity) as well as foobar2000 (my default media player. it needs a codec for converting to mp3), but you can also choose something from here. Do make sure to read carefully what each of them have to offer, some have limitations in various forms. I'd recommend some online converter just to avoid installing stuff. 🙂

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

SebastySpotify Star

how do i do this?

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

Suggested posts