Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot view all Local Files in A-Z sort.

Cannot view all Local Files in A-Z sort.

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Desktop - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX with 64.0 GB

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 19042.685

My Question or Issue

__

This issue appears to be a bug in how many files the Local Files view can display at once. This is not an issue adding or playing local files.

I have ~25K local files appearing in Spotify. If I sort songs by title (A-Z), I can only see A-ST. If I sort Z-A, Spotify only displays Z-CO.

I can replicate this behavior in all sortable columns.

I tried to report this bug through chat support, but they would not let me do so without dragging me through their support scripts. 

Screenshot 2020-12-29 073430.png
Screenshot 2020-12-29 073647.png
Screenshot 2020-12-29 073522.png
8 Replies

Hey there @jasonvelocity,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

Can you perform a clean reinstall? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this. 

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Did a clean install, waiting for local files to complete indexing. Spotify has crashed twice so far?

I can currently see A and Z, but I suspect those will disappear after I exceed the magic number. 

Update #01: I am currently at ~%30 of my library loaded. 
Update #02: I am at ~%40, but it's a slow go as Spotify keeps crashing. Once it completes scanning, I expect it will stabilize. 

Screenshot 2020-12-30 085054.png

OK, reindexing complete.  It took about three hours and I am back where I started with the same issue. 

Screenshot 2020-12-30 113019.png

Hi @jasonvelocity

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Could you log out > restart your device and your router > log back in and check if the issue persists?

Additionally, we recommend trying with a different network, for example creating a hot spot on your phone and using that - if that's possible.

Let us know how it goes! 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have already performed a clean install, which meets the same goals as your request.

I would not expect network changes to effect how Spotify displays local files. As this is a desktop system, connecting to a hotspot is not available, but disconnecting the ethernet is. I was able to reproduce the issue without a network connection. 

I replied yesterday, but I don't see the post now. I was finally able to get a support case opened. 

Video of issue:
https://youtu.be/5fzP_sq_INE

Hi there @jasonvelocity,

Thanks for getting back to us.

There is a limitation to how many songs can be displayed in a playlist at any given time depending on the user's system and the specific files, as some tracks have more metadata than others and when you have them in huge numbers it will affect the app's performance.

What we'd recommend is uploading your files partially and splitting them into playlists by artist/album. Then you'll have an easier time managing them and adding them to other playlists.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

That will not work for two reasons:
#1: You cannot break up Local Files into playlists and still have all of your local files.
#2: I did that for a different reason and ended up with four useless playlists. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Your-Music-Add-LOCAL-FILES-to-Your-Music/idc-p/5100172/h...

Spotify is investigating the issue, which is all I was asking for.

Hello Jason, Thank you for this video. We have alerted our developers to this issue and they are investigating on this matter. We appreciate your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward, although please be aware we’re not able to confirm if or when your specific request involving how Local Files are handled will be addressed. We recommend keeping the Spotify app updated to guarantee you’re enjoying all the latest features. Also, let us suggest to keep an eye on our Community where we share details on our new releases and any other announcements. You can also submit feedback and suggest new features there. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. All the best, Andrea Escalations Team - Spotify Customer Support "One of the great things about music; you can sing a song to 85,000 people, and they’ll sing it back for 85,000 different reasons." - Dave Grohl Did you know we have an extensive help section on our website? This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged. It is intended only for the recipient(s). If you have reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please contact the sender immediately and delete the e-mail from your computer. ref:_00DD0pxIW._5002o2ch9pt:ref

Suggested posts