Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Computer crashes when spotify is opened

Computer crashes when spotify is opened

Hey. For the past week my computer crashed 3-4 times a day. Yesterday I found that spotify was causing the computer to crash. I saw some other threads about this problem but I couldn't fix it. I tried reinstalling spotify and installing the pc version (I was using the windows 10 store version) but that didn't help. Thanks in advance!

4 Replies

Hey there @aimdeep

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall instead of the regular one? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. This tends to solve issues with the app's performance on Windows 10.

Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app.

It's also a good idea to log in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Hey @Ivan. Thanks for replying!

I just did a clean install but I didn't find any folders in appdata. I will post after I use spotify for a while.

After using spotify for a week the computer is still unstable. I'm now using the spotify web player but the app was faster (I think it saves the most played songs in the temp or the local folder for quicker play). I'm thinking about joining the windows insider program. If I join I will try again. Maybe windows is causing the problem.

Hey there @aimdeep!

Thanks for keeping us posted.

It might be a good idea to try some more troubleshooting steps here.

We can suggest that you try updating your computer's drives to make sure you have the latest version.

It's also worth trying to disable hardware acceleration in the app:

1. Click Edit in the menu bar. Select Preferences.
  2. Scroll down and uncheck Hardware acceleration.
  3. Restart Spotify.

We hope this helps. We'll be here if you have any updates or questions  🙂

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts