Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Connect To A Device Not Working

Connect To A Device Not Working

Plan

Family Premium

Country

Canada

Device

PC/Razer Phone 2

Operating System

Windows 10/Android 9

My Question or Issue

Spotify "connect to a device" isn't working at all. When I'm on my PC and try to switch the audio to my phone the phone will display for selection, however, after connecting to the phone it doesn't continue to play the audio even though the PC shows the song as still playing. 

If I try to switch back to PC audio using either my Phone or PC I still get no audio and get a message saying, "Spotify can't play this right now" while trying to pause/start or pressing the next button.  After this happens, I'm also unable to regain any audio on the PC until I manually switch a song that ISN'T part of my current queue. This can be pretty disappointing as it causes me to clear my queue each time and pretty much renders the "connect to a device" functionality useless, if not a burden.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:
- Restarting both devices
- Updating the app on both devices
- Reinstalling app
- Both devices are on the same network
- Clearing cache

Also just wanted to add that this functionality did work for me in the past and this issue started occuring about a couple months ago here and there but I could still get it to work sometimes. Now it pretty much never works.

3 Replies

Hey @Wezus,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

Could you try with another network to check if anything changes?

In case you're using an SD card, you can remove it, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD. Sometimes the SD card can lead to issues with the cache.

If the issue persists, it's a good idea to try with another account on the same devices. That way we can check if it's an account-related issue.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

hey there! from nepal 

i have a premium account and my connect to a device is not working. my phone is not showing up when i try to control spotify from phone when i am using it on laptop. can you please help me??

Hey there @Aaryapoudel

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Just to confirm, do you want to control Spotify from your phone while you're listening to music on the PC? If so, could you let us know if you're able to see the currently playing song on your phone?  

On another note, we suggest that you try reinstalling the app by following these steps on both devices to see if that makes the difference. 

If this doesn't do the trick, would you mind trying with a different internet connection to check if the same happens?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts