Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Connecting to Chromecast from Windows Desktop Client

Solved!

Connecting to Chromecast from Windows Desktop Client

When I want to use spotify connect to connect to my chromecast, I need to use my android phone/tablet versionn of spotify to connect first, then take over that connect session from my desktop client. It's imposible to directly connect to the chromecast from my desktop client 

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start Spotify on phone
  2. Connect to my Chromecast
  3. Start Spotify on my desktop. It automaticly connects to the connect session between my phone and Chromecast
  4. Kill Spotify on phone
  5. Use desktop client to control Chromecast

What steps you’ve tried already:

No devices are shown in the "choose device to play to" button on desktop client. Chromecast is found on phone

Your device and operating system (e.g. MacBook Air, 10.10 OSX)

Windows 10 I7 based computer / Samsung S6 android smartphone

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium):

Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using:

1.0.15.133.gf21970bd 

Best regards 

Jan Skrubbeltrang

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Good news!

You can now find Chromecast in the connect "devices available" menu in the Spotify desktop app and browser web player. Now you can cast your music to Chromecast from the desktop app without having to use the iOS or Android app.

Make sure your Spotify desktop app is up to date

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

136 Replies

Experienced exactly the same problem and workaround solution with recently purchased Chromecast Audio.

1) Chromecast Audio not working with Spotify on Windows Desktop Client - Chromecast not available in Devices.

2) Chromecast Audio working great with Spotify on Android - Chromecast available in Devices as intended.

3) If Chromecast playing initiated with Spotify on Android, Spotify on Windows Desktop Client then able to control music playing on Chromecast plus Chromecast now available in Devices.

4) If stop playing and restart Windows Desktop Client the Chromecast is again not available in Devices, unless first initiated on Android.

All seems a bit odd and not quite there on Spotify Window Desktop Client yet - is this a known bug or by design?

Jason

Me to. I think i will change to Google play music if they don't get this fixed real soon.

I'm using the 1.0.15.137 on Ubuntu.

And also i cannot control the volume through desktop, i need my phone to adjust the volumen.

Same deal for me, in fact thats how I found out it even streamed to my chromecast from my desktop is that I had it playing from my phone and then opened the desktop app and it automatically connected.

However, now that I am running the desktop app, I dont see it as a device to connect. However, I do see my "Fire TV" that I have in a different room and that plays fine.

Why the chromecast discrimmination?

I wrote then aasking about when, and got an anwser the basicly told me they have no plans to support it:

I'll try using the webplayer and cast from there, it work ok.

Spotify for Chromecast is currently available only on mobile phone devices. We can’t say now if or when it can be used on your Linux, but as soon as we've got something to announce, we'll let everyone know on the Spotify blog.

More information regarding using Chromecast on your Desktop device, you may contact Google. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

I have the same problem on my Moto-G3. To make my Moto-G3 phone work with spotify using  chromecast audio, I have to use my Nexus tablet. More here.

'Spotify for Chromecast is currently available only on mobile phone devices. We can’t say now if or when it can be used on your Linux, but as soon as we've got something to announce, we'll let everyone know on the Spotify blog.'

This seems a somewhat backward stance, and sort of negates my reasoning for purchasing the chromecast audio...wished I'd have know about this before buying one. I bought it for streaming from my windows desktop, with the idea I could use spotify to 'cast' my local tracks as well. If you've to use a mobile device for spotify I see little point, might as well just plug the phone/tablet directly into the speaker itself.

I use chrome, the webplayer and cast the tab with Googles Chromecast extension, there's not much difference from the desktop client.

It's a reasonable solution, that works fine.

It's like Spotify sabotage the Chromecast setup, in fear of that people buy the chromecast, they will start using google play music instead of spotify, not realiing that their are now forcesing us over to google instead.

I think you should all write spotify and complain about their stupid stand on this issue, it will help in chaning their minds.

support@spotify.com

I think this is true. It only works on iOS and Android.

I found a conversation about it on reddit too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/3peqqg/spotify_works_on_chromecast_from_phone_and_table...

The reason is that Google hasn't made an SDK available for desktop yet. 

However, if you start playback from the mobile app and select the Chromecast, then it will show in the desktop app that it is playing on the chromecast. It doesn't show the chromecast icon next to the device, but it does show a TV screen and you can control it from the desktop app. 

Maybe Spotify can get around this limitation in a future update to the desktop app, but as of version 1.0.16 of the the desktop app, you will have to start the stream to the chromecast from the mobile app.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It's not Spotify, it's Google.

Like the thread has concluded - Chromecast support does not yet seem to be implemented in the desktop app. The workaround I use (with emphasis on workaround, not a solution) is to use a mobile device as a "proxy":

Open Spotify on your mobile device and connect it to your Chromecast, then open the desktop Spotify App and select your chromecast device which will now be listed through your mobile device.

In the attached image  "CCAudio" is my Chromecast Audio chosen as playback device in my Desktop Spotify app.

Not super pretty, but it does the trick.

ccaudio.PNG

Thank you! Works great!

Another suggestion is to use the Spotify web player, in Chrome browser, and then cast the tab with the web player. Works great!

Same issue !

Yep, that's how I use it 🙂

Hi,

I want to buy a Chromecast audio for multi room and having less cables at my place but I'd really would like the integration to be done in the Spotify for desktop app.

If you want it too, vote here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Connect-Show-Chromecast-on-Desktop-s-Connect-device-list...

For the multiroom, any idea if it's possible to play the same music even if I have two Chromecast but connected on different wifi networks? My flat is big and I'm obliged to have a wifi extension but the name of the wifi is different.

Thanks for your help!

Did anyone tried the multiroom? How is it?

No real solution for now on Spotify desktop app, but you can vote for it here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Connect-Show-Chromecast-on-Desktop-s-Connect-device-list...

@fanteSmauet wrote:

Another suggestion is to use the Spotify web player, in Chrome browser, and then cast the tab with the web player. Works great!

This way you're stuck with lower quality audio though (if you're premium). Still can't raise quality settings in the web app, and I can't use it until they finally add this...

AFAIK this doesn't let you access local files (prety obvious), and it only streams 160kbps.

This is becasue Google seems to have a huge aversion to desktop operating systems.

If I could access my local files through the iOS app I would be fine with that.

If you use the in browser spotify, you can use the chrome chromecast extension to cast your music also, but once again, this is more of a workaround.

Suggested posts