Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Can no longer use ctrl + a to select all songs of a playlist/liked songs

[Desktop] Can no longer use ctrl + a to select all songs of a playlist/liked songs

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Operating System

Windows 10

My Issue

As of today there has been an update that has removed the ability to select multiple songs at once.

I've tried ctrl + a, left-mouse clicking a song and shift clicking to select a region, and ctrl + clicking. All of these worked the in the last update, but now none of them do.
Does anyone know of a new method to select all liked songs, or a way to revert to an older version?

Equally, a way to copy all of the liked songs from one account to another? - to do this I used to create a playlist of all of my liked songs (by selecting them all) and then copying the contense of the playlist to my new accounts liked songs.

Today I tried using spotmybackup (http://www.spotmybackup.com/), but that only works with songs available in America (I'm guessing, because a lot of songs that are available on my uk account, but not on my American account didn't copy)
Any other suggestions? Or are we just stuffed until Spotify does something about it? (Don't know if they've ever brought back a feature though, so I'm not optimistic)

Thanks for any help!

22 Replies

Hello,

I am not able to find a answer to your issues. I am here because I would like to know why it has been removed. I switched my Account today and wanted to copy my playlists to my new account...sadly it does not work anymore...

Well, I have the same issue on my PC. However, if you have a Mac you can go to the top whilst in Spotify and select all. I have managed to select all on my Windows version before, but it's   hit      and miss and I can't remember how to sorry 😕

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

We'd suggest you start off by restarting the device. Then you can log out and log back in to the account. 

If the songs are still not getting marked, you can check these steps and run a clean reinstall. That way you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing this issue.

You can also try marking all the songs with the steps below:

Mark first song >Scroll to the end >Press Ctrl+shift and click on the last song

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

still an issue for me too

Hi there @Waldov,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Just to confirm, did you follow the steps @Ver mentioned above?

If that didn't work, it's worth running a clean reinstall of the app by following these specific steps. This is more thorough than a regular reinstall and can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing trouble.

If the issue persists, could you let us know the make, model, and OS version of the device where you're having this issue, along with the Spotify version you're running?

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi there!

I've been having the exact same issue too for about a year now (which is slowly driving me insane).

Just tried a fresh install as suggested above but to no avail.

Using Desktop Windows 10, spotify version: 1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7 (Microsoft Store version) - previously I was using the version downloaded directly from the spotify website and that was exactly the same.

There's another thread showing the issue here. I've found that its completely accurate as only 100 songs max can be selected at once.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Windows-10-Can-t-select-large-amounts-of-tracks-in-...

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the problem!

• This is getting ridiculous. They updated the user interface but this problem still persists. Why is it so hard listening to your customers Spotify?

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

Just to clarify, tapping Ctrl + A does select 100 songs at a time, but you can continue tapping those keys and 100 more tracks will be selected (adding up to the ones you had already selected), so you can select more than 100 songs at once.

We understand how important this option would be for you. We recommend taking a look at this idea and adding your +Vote and comments to show your support. You can also Subscribe to it to be on top of any new updates we share about it.

We really appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve the app and the overall experience.

You can read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hey,

We’ve tried what you’ve suggested to a complete no avail despite the maximum effort put in trying it every possible way we can think of. With the goal of copying 3195 songs from the liked playlist to a new playlist. Reason being is the liked songs doesn’t say the total amount of time it would take to listen to the entire playlist. There’s no checkboxes next to the song or anything physical to actual check off the songs and no apparent setting option to allow that privilege. Right clicking doesn’t show a menu option to select all. Shift clicking selects the songs in chunks that vary in size; same as ctrl+a. Same with the mobile app.

Fresh install didn’t help either.

Please advise on how to proceed.

P.s you should be able to ask Siri to add a song to a playlist.

It unfortunately isn't working for me. I can't even use ctrl+a to select the at most 100 songs; it just ends up selecting the column text and text from other random places. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app a few and also restarting my laptop and just isn't working. Please help.

got it figured

no it effen doesnt... you are just flat out wrong.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your posts here.

We were not able to reproduce the situation you're describing, just on the contrary we were able to use the Ctrl+A functionality in the desktop app with quite large playlists. For your assurance we also include a video of the test below.

Also keep your apps up to date and use always the latest version available. If in doubt that you're having the newest one, it's always helpful if you perform a clean reinstall of the app, as this is more thorough than the normal one and ensures that no cached data will cause interference with the new installation of your app. 

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator

Mark first song >Scroll to the end >Press Ctrl+shift and click on the last song

Same issue. This doesn't work either. 

Hey @TheOneWhos,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

Just to confirm, did you already try what was suggested by @Kiril? If not, we recommend you perform a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your computer to see if this makes a difference. You can find out the steps to do it here.

If this doesn't do the trick, can you check if this is happening on another computer? It’d be awesome if you could check. You can ask for the computer of a relative or a friend to open your account and check.

Finally, is this happening over WiFi? 3G/4G? Both? Do you notice any difference if you switch the internet connection you're using?

We'll keep an eye on your response! 

AlejaRModerator

Ctrl-A and click-shift-click a list and click-ctrl/shift-click are not working for me. I have curated the most perfect collection of circa 200 Liked songs. I must find a way to share for opinions as soon as humanly possible.

Hey @hiya_dave,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

In this case, can you share with us the troubleshooting you've already done? If you haven't yet, you can start off with a clean reinstall of the app on your device to see if that makes any difference. 

On another note, as mentioned before, did you notice if this is happening on another computer? It'd be awesome if you could check. 

Is this happening on a different account? You can ask a relative or a friend to open their account on the affected device to check if the inconvenience persists there. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. 

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Hi, I am having this problem on my work desktop PC via the Spotify website opened in Microsoft edge. The only troubleshooting I can do is also try in chrome browser, which I already did and it doesn't work in chrome too.

For everyone asking, it did not work for me on the Web browser but it did on the windows app. In fact, it selected all of the songs rather than 100 by 100 souse the app and not the webpage

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

We can confirm that selecting all songs within playlist using Ctrl/Cmd + A is only possible in the desktop app. If that doesn't work, please let us know so we can investigate further.

Take care,

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts