Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Connect] Remove the facebook panel

Solved!

[Desktop][Connect] Remove the facebook panel

This is now mandatory for people who aren't interested in using it. Clicking the button opens a facebook login page which facebook uses to track, even if you are not a facebook member.

My idea is to remove this forced feature from spotify. At the bare minimum make it opt-in only. When we first open the app, ask if we want to connect to Facebook in the pane, then have the pane go away if we decline. In the options have a setting for facebook login that will re-enable this pane if anyone wants to use it.

SpotiFace.png
64 Replies

Hey @sweeth0lic,

Thanks for posting on this thread. We're happy to help.

That's odd. We can confirm that it has worked in the newest UI, as shown in the screenshots sent in this thread. Try logging out and back in after you've toggled the option See what your friends are playing off. Any changes?

If the Friend activity column remains there, could you send us a screenshot where we can see your app's settings under Display? We'd also like to know the make and OS version of the device where this is happening.

Keep us posted. We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

On my desktop app I had to go to 'view' and uncheck 'friend activity'. 

Meant to attach this screenshot

Screenshot (44).png

Hey @largejaroalmond,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots. 

Some users will find those helpful 🙂

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

same here.  I'll reboot my computer this evening to see if it takes it off, but I've closed the app at least 3 times and opened back up and the FB panel is still there.  Quite annoying and disappointing to have to spend time searching for a solution.  It should really be removed especially for customers paying premium amounts to avoid ads.

and yes, changed the settings.

Hey there @antoinetteayers

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

If the Friend Feed is still showing up after rebooting your computer, could you send over a screenshot where we can confirm that the setting is toggled off?

It would also be helpful to know the exact app version you're currently running. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

1.1.58.820.g2ae50076-a

Hey @antoinetteayers

Thanks for this info. 

Could you send over the screenshot where we can confirm that the settings are correct?

If possible, could you ask a friend or a family member to log in to their personal account using your device to see if they can replicate this?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator

Yeah! Brexit, Trump, Russia? Now force selling our behavioural data to F-book! NO THANK YOU!

Thank goodness I came across this thread.  It worked for me too.  Just as a bit of feedback, it would be nice to add an "X" or something to dismiss this sidebar and not bury an option in the settings.  That would probably help avoid this level of frustration.  

If I couldn't get rid of that sidebar, I was going to switch to Apple Music... Yes I hate Facebook that much and a huge "connect to Facebook" button there at all times would drive me insane.

This [cynicism on] addition to improve my user experience [cynicism off] really made me angry.  What did Facebook pay to add there Spyware at your front page?

Instead of enjoying music it took me 10 angry minutes to remove**bleep** from the home page.

It makes me wonder whether I should stay at Spotify or go to one the many other streaming services available

It real simple - turn this off by defualt. Seriously spotify, why would you affiliate yourselves with the worlds leading privacy dumpster fire, let alone force an interface option on us? Any answer you have provided is just rhetoric - sounds nice, but if you meant what you said about testing, you would have ASKED us first. I just want my music, not to be presented with alternative revenue sources and interface options that only benefit spotify. 

Saw this. Felt it was appropriate. Hope it's okay, Mods~♥

ofapFIx.jpg

I am having trouble with the same notification. I do not want to connect with facebook but i do want to see what my friends are listening to. The friends that I choose to follow. 

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Custom Desktop, Intel i7 CPU, Nvidia GPU, Solid-state hard drive

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have canceled my premium membership because the Facebook panel on the desktop was too f’n annoying. I f’n hate facebook.

Signed up for premium. Less than half an hour later I was canceling. I wanted music, not f’n Facebook.

Hey there @DanielAlejandro

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community 🙂

We're sorry to hear that you feel like this. Keep in mind that you can hide the Friends Activity tab following the steps you'll find here.

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator

**bleep** thank you so much

Marked as solution

Also you can remove the Facebook frame here:

1.png

[...] > [View] > [Friend Activity]

Just to be clear, this does work but I assume I am not the only person who likes seeing with their friends/followers IN Spotify are playing, but do not want to be pestered to connect with facebook..

Given the very well documented ways Facebook abuses ANY data they are given I am baffled that people not wanting this 'feature' is a surprise. Please give the ability to remove this while retaining the ability to view friend/follower activity with other spotify users.

As I said in another thread, some people WANT to see activity from friends/followers we have IN Spotify, and do not want to have to turn that completely off just to get rid of this Facebook prompt.

Facebook is WELL documented at abusing data they have access to, no one should want them to have even more information about them, and we should be able to opt out of that without impeding other functionality.

Suggested posts