Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Support for mouse back/forward button

Solved!

[Desktop] Support for mouse back/forward button

Can we have support for the Back/Forward button found on many mice? I find it rather cumbersome to move the mouse to one of the 2 little arrow button on the top left part of the desktop application when you want to go back/forward.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

My hacky work-around:

sudo apt-get install xautomation xbindkeys

edit/create ~/.xbindkeysrc and add:

# fwd/back to work in spotify
"xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'key Left' 'keyup Alt_L'"
  b:8

"xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'key Right' 'keyup Alt_L'"
  b:9

Then run xbindkeys   (which starts itself in the background)  

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Updated: 2015-10-11

Hello!
Could you explain your idea a bit more?

I take it it's a normal mouse for desktop/laptops where the mouse buttons don't work?
Mine work just fine on a Logitech mouse, what brand are you using?

A little insight would be great 🙂

Hello,

I have a Logitech mouse too, with 2 small buttons on the thumb side of the mouse. They work as Back/Forward page buttons in almost any browser and I use it a lot to minimize moving the mouse around the screen. Using Linux I am used to shortcut keys while using my PC. I would never buy a mouse again that hasn't these little nifty keys. See attached picture.mouse B-F buttons.jpeg

I would love to have this option in the desktop application for users that have these buttons on their mouse.

Thanks,

I've moved it over here since it seems to be a bug with a specific mouse model.

My logitech back/forward buttons on the side work fine on the desktop version.

To see if that's a known issue, I would need a bit more information:

• Your operating system (Windows, OSX, etc)
  • Your Spotify desktop version (Spotify Menu => Help => About Spotify)
  • Model name of the mouse

Then I can escalate it to the right team, to check what's the issue. Thanks! 😉

I am running Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela 64-bit, Spotify version 0.9.17.1.g9b85d436, Logitech M705.

I'm afraid Linux is not officially supported by Spotify, therefore I can't escalate it.

It's a side project by dedicated Spotify devs.

Could you try updating to the newest version and see if it works there?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Linux-users-important-update/m-p/115...

I'm already using the latest version of Spotify for Linux. Sorry to hear that Linux is not officially supported. I refuse to pay for an OS that invades your privacy. But thanks for the reply.

Thanks to all the dedicated Spotify devs that push the Linux client forward!

It is unfortunate that there is no way for you to escalate this.

I believe that the dedicated Spotify devs would like to know what features their users want. Perhaps you could create a "Help / Linux" section, so the devs could measure demand for certain features of the Linux client?

Basically what I'm saying is this:

- keep the "not officially supported" label, but

- enable closer communication between the "dedicated Spotify devs" and their target audience

Thanks again!

Cheers

Felix

PS: I really want that feature, because my default workflow is: do stuff, hit "mouse back", repeat

I have a wireless mouse and Spotify. When you are using Spotify some mouse buttons (as the scrolling button or 4 and 5 buttons) may change to control Spotify instead of controlling the PC scrolling up/down or back/forward. I found that if I press for 3 seconds the DPI button on my mouse it continues to control normal the PC functions. 

If I press DPI button again for 3 seconds it changes again to media mode and continues to control Spotify. 

Marked as solution

My hacky work-around:

sudo apt-get install xautomation xbindkeys

edit/create ~/.xbindkeysrc and add:

# fwd/back to work in spotify
"xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'key Left' 'keyup Alt_L'"
  b:8

"xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'key Right' 'keyup Alt_L'"
  b:9

Then run xbindkeys   (which starts itself in the background)  

Suggested posts