Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Device not showing on laptop

Solved!

Device not showing on laptop

I have spotify Premium.

Playing from my Android phone, I can select all my devices, and all my Chromecasts.

Playing from my PC running the Spotify app, and win 10, none of my Chromecasts show. I have a chromecast in every room, and its a little anoying, that I have to start Spotify on my phone, in order to select the device. After the device is selected on my phone, I can control the playlist from my PC, just as I want.

Is there a fix to show all my chromecasts on my PC's ??

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @FrankBJensen,

Sorry for the late response. 

As you can see here, it’s currently not possible to discover a Chromecast device from the desktop app. Use a mobile/tablet to discover and launch Spotify on Chromecast. Once running Spotify Connect can be used to control playback from any device, including desktop.

Hope this helps!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Hi @FrankBJensen,

Have you tried the steps bellow?

https://support.spotify.com/uk/article/spotify-on-google-cast/

Also, you can use the Spotify web player, and just cast the tab with the chrome extension. 🙂

BittencourtSpotify Star

Yes, I tried these steps. And yes, I can use the web player.

What fails is this point 4: 

1. Tap the Now Playing bar at the bottom of the screen and select DEVICES AVAILABLE.

And what I find strange is

- On my cell phone I have my chromecasts available (amongst other devices).

- On my PCs running WIN10, I do NOT have my chromecasts available (Other devices are available).

What is the reason for this? Is it by design?

Marked as solution

Hey @FrankBJensen,

Sorry for the late response. 

As you can see here, it’s currently not possible to discover a Chromecast device from the desktop app. Use a mobile/tablet to discover and launch Spotify on Chromecast. Once running Spotify Connect can be used to control playback from any device, including desktop.

Hope this helps!

BittencourtSpotify Star

Okay, thats what I am doing already, just thought there was an easier way 🙂

Thanx for answer.

No problem, you're welcome 🙂

BittencourtSpotify Star

Any plans to add this functionality? The link in the reply here is dead now, and it's been almost three years since the feature was desired and not available.

Hey there @fronc,

Thanks for posting about that here in the Community!

Just to confirm, are you using a regular Chromecast device to listen to your TV or a Chromecast Audio to use as speakers?

Although it’s not possible to find a Chromecast Audio device from the Spotify desktop app, you can still use it to control the music - there's more info on this here

However, if you're using it to control a regular Chromecast device, we'd recommend taking a look at this support site article instead.

There's also an idea about this that you can add your support and feedback to. To find more info on how ideas get implemented, we'd recommend taking a look at this Spotify Answer.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Spotify, What are you doing with our money???

Does nobody even think about software there?  This is SO BASIC I can't believe it wasn't implemented on desktop at the same time as mobile.

Do the teams talk to each other? How about an Equalizer for the desktop app while you're at it.  YOU ALREADY HAVE IT. Just implement it there as well. 

This is just nonsense. The app is just glitchy. My Chromecast TV consistently shows up under Devices, but neither of my Google Homes nor my Chromecast Audio do. They will randomly show up, but there's no identifiable pattern and they disappear if I restart the app. 

Hey @Mendelj3,

Thanks for your post on the Community!

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with this feature, as stated in the status of the idea posted above, this should be available on all desktop devices. To help you out we'd need some more info, could you share the make, model, OS version and Spotify version of your device?  Also have you tried any troubleshooting steps, such as a clean reinstall of the app, switching to a different internet connection or resetting your Google Home and Chromecast devices?

The intermittent character of your issue points to temporary connectivity issues. These can be due to a multitude of factors but these troubleshooting steps are good point to start.

Let us know how things work out, we'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

Kiril Moderator

I'm using the latest version of the Desktop app from the Windows Store on a Dell XPS 13 (7390) running Windows 10. I have tried reinstalling the app.
It does not make sense that the issue is due to connectivity issues because all the devices are on the same Wi-Fi network, yet only the Chromecast TV shows up in devices menu. The TV is always there without fail, the other devices have only appeared once or twice, but haven't in at least a year. Furthermore all the devices consistently show on my phone.

Screenshot_2022-03-13-17-54-06-71_0438eb925998df20b3482ec25499d226.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-13 175326.png

Hey @Mendelj3,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you let us know if you can see more devices when using the WebPlayer on your computer, or is it the same as on your Desktop app?

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator

The Web player just shows one unidentified Cast device, which I assume is the TV

Mendelj3_0-1647755434094.png

Hey @Mendelj3,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Could you try clearing the hosts file with these steps to see if anything changes?

It's also a good idea to try downloading the app from our website to see if that makes a difference.

Just to double-check-can you see the devices when you log in to another account? 

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

I installed the version from the website and it didn't make a difference. There were no host files to clear. I don't have another account to check whether that makes a difference. 

Hey @Mendelj3,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you create a new free account for testing purposes and try to find the Chromecast devices on the desktop app with it?

Have you already tried resetting your router or connecting the PC through a hot spot on your phone? 

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator

As of the latest update (Spotify for Windows
1.2.0.1165.gabf054ab) this issue seems to be resolved. Hopefully it stays this way.

UPDATE: It is no longer working. 

My laptop correctly showing all devicesMy laptop correctly showing all devices

This is NOT true. I have ALWAYS been able to see ALL my Chromecast devices on my windows 11 laptop until Jan 3rd, 2023.

You're right, I just checked and my Google Home speakers are once again not showing on the desktop app. This is ridiculous. 

Suggested posts