Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discover Weekly Doesn't Update (Remote Computer)

Discover Weekly Doesn't Update (Remote Computer)

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Multiple

Operating System

Multiple

My Question or Issue

I have a particular setup in my home office. I have a tiny, Windows 10 Home, headless PC that runs Spotify and is connected to a nice sound system. I control Spotify on this PC using my main desktop (Windows 10) or my iPhone. For the most part, this works great. I can easily listen to great, high-quality tunes through Spotify. But there is one, ongoing, persistant issue.

Every Monday when I have a new Discover Weekly playlist, I cannot play that playlist on the remote PC. For example, I'l go to Spotify on my main desktop, select Discover Weekly, click "Devices Available", select my remote Spotify player, click "Play" and... nothing happens. It doesn't matter if I select the Spotify player first and _then_ click Discover Weekly. It also doesn't matter if I try to play the Discover Weekly playlist on my iPhone (or other device). No matter what I do, the Discover Weekly playlist (and _only_ the Discovery Weekly playlist) will not play on my remote PC.

The problem is that the remote PC won't load the new tracks for the Discover Weekly playlist when I remotely ask it to play that playlist. So here is the workaround: the first time I ant to play my Discover Weekly playlist I have to use TeamViewer to manually control Spotify directly on the remote PC. This is how I noticed that the tracks aren't updating. The Discover Weekly on my remote PC always has last week's tracks in the playlist. Not the new ones. So I shut down Spotify and then restart it. Then I click on Discover Weekly and Spotify downloads the tracks. Then I disconnect from TeamViewer and from that point on I can control the Discover Weekly playlist on my remote PC as expected. You know... until next week.

This isn't the worst thing in the world. I've even got TeamViewer on my iPhone now so that I can start up the Discover Weekly playlist on Mondays without logging into my main desktop if I don't want to. 

But it would be nice if I didn't have to use a work-around.

Also: I think there's the same problem for the Release Radar playlist on Friday.

Thanks!

7 Replies

I use Web Player and Android app. I've deleted app and also cookies and site data from Chrome. It didn't update since Monday. Also I can't remove Discover Weekly from my library.

Hey there folks,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

@nathanielgivens have you tried preforming a clean reinstall of the app on the remote PC? Usually this solves such issues. You can find the necessary steps here. If that doesn't do the trick, could you let us know if the issue is resolved when you use the web player on the remote PC via Connect and not the app? 

@fluodtine keep in mind that the Discover Weekly playlist updates once per week. If it did on Monday, you'll get a brand new version 7 days later. If it didn't it's a good idea to log out and back in to you account, so it syncs with our servers. You should also see the option to remove the playlist from your library by right clicking on it. You can achieve this by also tapping the heart-button. If that's not the case, it's possible that some of the apps files have gotten corrupted. This is usually solved by a clean reinstall. Keep in mind that you cant remove the Discover Weekly playlist from the Browse or Made for you sections.

Hope you find this useful. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the exact same problem. I can not start the Discover Weekly playlist on my computer from my phone once it has been updated. When I start playing the weekly playlist on my phone and try to send it to my computer it just stops, nothing happens. The only way I have found to work around this issue is to login to my computer and start the weekly playlist in the Spotify app on the computer then it works just fine and I can control it from my phone until it is updated again next Monday. Everything else is working just fine I can start any playlist or artist radio from my phone and control the playback on my computer. 

Hey @jeeloo,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Have you tried the above proposed solution steps by @Mihail? Let us know if they were helpful or not 🙂

Also, aside from trying the Connect functionality via the web player on your PC, make sure you also run the latest versions of the Spotify app on all of your devices.

Do keep us posted!  

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have the same problem - and no the steps describe have no impact.

I believe that spotify is not updating discover weekly unless you are interacting with the app on the remote computer - for me (and I suspect the other posters) the remote computer is headless connected to an audio system.

I've always had the same problem described here by others. Really annoying.

The audio source for my whole-home audio is a headless Mac running Spotify and Airfoil.

I control the music from my phone using Spotify Connect as a remote control only. I control which rooms the music from my phone using Airfoil Satellite. 

The problem is that whenever the Made For You playlists update on the phone, I can no longer play music remotely. I have to log into the desktop machine and click through the Spotify Made For You playlists to get them to update.

It seems clear that the desktop app doesn't update its playlists in the background. I believe if it did this would solve the problem.

Hi @128632743,

Thanks for your reply in this thread and for the detailed explanation.

Personalized mixes (Made For You) are updated regularly and it is expected for what you're experiencing to happen. This is because each device must load the updated playlist before being able to play it. In this case, to avoid this from happening, we'd recommend interacting with the app and the Made For You playlist first, before trying to play it via Connect with your setup.

Nevertheless, we appreciate you taking the time to share this report with us and will make sure to pass it on to the right team. We can't confirm when or if this will be fixed, but we'd recommend keeping the app and the device's OS up to date so you don't miss out on any possible fixes or improvements. 

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Susan_GPModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts