Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Dislike button has no effect on radio playlist

Dislike button has no effect on radio playlist

I've hit the dislike button about 5 times now on Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Higher Ground" and still it's showing up in my radio for my main playlist.

I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be happening.

15 Replies

I've never really understood the thumbs system on the radio, from my experience thumbs downing a track will stop it from playing but is used to "improve the playlist" which I am guessing has some effect on the radio algorithm in the background. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Nah, those thumbs are just there to make us feel we have some control 🙂

See, that's my guess.

Disliking a track should cause it to never play on Radio again, at least until after a certain amount of time so that way if your tastes have changed, you could like the song if you're now into that kind of music.

This is the 5th time this week I've had to dislike the same track though.

It makes no sense.

@user-removed wrote:

See, that's my guess.

Disliking a track should cause it to never play on Radio again, at least until after a certain amount of time so that way if your tastes have changed, you could like the song if you're now into that kind of music.

This is the 5th time this week I've had to dislike the same track though.

It makes no sense.

If it was the same track you can't dislike it more than once, since thumbs aren't editable. Therefore, that track is actually a duplicate in the Spotify catalogue meaning the system doesn't "know" you thumbed it down already since it will have its own unique track ID. 

Peter

Peter

Why then does Spotify have the same remaster of RCHP's song 5 times in their system?

Which song, I'm interested to see if that is the case or not?

Peter

Peter

I just checked. It isn't.

It's Higher Ground on the album: "Mother's Milk".

There's only one track of Higher Ground

Yes, however the same track (but not the remastered version) is also on at least 4 other albums I can see at first glance. 

Do you always get the remastered version? 

Peter

Peter

Yes. Always the remasted version.

Always from that CD too.

Next time it happens, would you be able to grab a screenshot and post it here? 

Peter

Peter

...1, I totally didn't mean to click the "Accept as solution" button

2. I've been at it for an hour and it doesn't seem to want to show back up.

I am having the same issue with a particular artist - that consequently has NO business being in the category of artists I am listening to on Radio - I thumbs down the artist EVERY TIME, but it shows up every 3-5 songs...any idea why or how I can fix it???

I'm getting the impression that this only works on the specific track and not on the artist level. I guess, once you've thumbed down his entire spotify catalogue, he won't appear unless he releases a new album.

I've noticed that every time I close Spotify, it will forget all my dislikes. They play again with no thumbs down.

Sometimes I will dislike a song and it will play again a few songs later. I initially thought there was more than one version of the track on Spotify. Sometimes this is the case, sometimes it is not. Seems pointless to have the button if it essentially does nothing.

@AshMarie wrote:

I've noticed that every time I close Spotify, it will forget all my dislikes. They play again with no thumbs down.

Sometimes I will dislike a song and it will play again a few songs later. I initially thought there was more than one version of the track on Spotify. Sometimes this is the case, sometimes it is not. Seems pointless to have the button if it essentially does nothing.

What operating system and version of Spotify (Help/Spotify > About) are you using? 

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts