Duo Plan with Alexa - PC - Android and Apple Phones

Solved!

Duo Plan with Alexa - PC - Android and Apple Phones

Plan

Duo 

Country

US 

Device

Windows desktops, Iphone, Samsung Galaxy and an Alexa. 

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

I added my husband to Spotify with a Duo account. I typically control Spotify through my laptop and play on Alexa. The Alexa app is on my Samsung Galaxy phone and under my email. I can't figure out how to connect his computer so he can play from his Spotify account to Alexa.   When I look at his instance of Spotify I can't even figure out how to connect another device. I see Google cast, this PC, TV, etc. but no way to add another device. Is this a duo limitation? I DID see some articles about this topic that said you couldn't have different accounts connected to Alexa but they were a few years old and I thought maybe that had changed.

Another piece of info -- we are NOT tech-savvy. I got lost just following some of the threads on this so I'm really looking for the SIMPLEST path. I noticed someone mentioned just using one account and both of us logging in and honestly -- I'd even be happy to pay the duo license fee -- not trying to rip anyone off. But is that really the simplest solution?  Thanks  for any help! 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @barbpf,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

We'll do our best to help so that you and your husband can enjoy Spotify on the Alexa device.

The way Spotify is designed is that one account can play only on one device at any given time. So what you need to do is create a separate Amazon account for your husband and link that one to his Spotify account 🙂

Here how it's done:

1. To get started, log in to alexa.amazon.com.
  2. As soon as you have signed in, go into the settings.
  3. From settings, click into Accounts.
  4. From this list, choose the one that says Household Profile.
  5. From here, everyone who intends to use it will need to set up their own account with Amazon. Don’t worry. This doesn’t take all that long to do.
  6. Once all potential users have set up their accounts, you will need to add these new accounts to the “household.”
  7. Next up, these new accounts will need to be linked to their own Spotify accounts using their own version of the App.
  8. Then, from then on out, when you want to switch accounts, all you will need to do is give the command “Alexa, Change to [name]’s account.” Then, whoever’s account you change to will automatically have their Spotify linked to it.

I know it seems a bit of a long process, but it only takes a few minutes to set up.

Let us know if you have any questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey @barbpf

Thanks for letting us know. We're glad to hear that now it's working as expected 🙂

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

Have a nice day!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @barbpf,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

We'll do our best to help so that you and your husband can enjoy Spotify on the Alexa device.

The way Spotify is designed is that one account can play only on one device at any given time. So what you need to do is create a separate Amazon account for your husband and link that one to his Spotify account 🙂

Here how it's done:

1. To get started, log in to alexa.amazon.com.
  2. As soon as you have signed in, go into the settings.
  3. From settings, click into Accounts.
  4. From this list, choose the one that says Household Profile.
  5. From here, everyone who intends to use it will need to set up their own account with Amazon. Don’t worry. This doesn’t take all that long to do.
  6. Once all potential users have set up their accounts, you will need to add these new accounts to the “household.”
  7. Next up, these new accounts will need to be linked to their own Spotify accounts using their own version of the App.
  8. Then, from then on out, when you want to switch accounts, all you will need to do is give the command “Alexa, Change to [name]’s account.” Then, whoever’s account you change to will automatically have their Spotify linked to it.

I know it seems a bit of a long process, but it only takes a few minutes to set up.

Let us know if you have any questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

That worked! With a few extra steps. I had to install Alexa on his phone and then sign in and agree to the terms. And interestingly - I don't see Alexa as a device on his phone but when I switched accounts and asked for his playlist I got it! So now we'll see how we like it. I think the ideal for us might be to just share Spotify and have all our playlists in a single account and ONE account on Alexa so we don't have to switch back and forth but maybe not.  We're going to give it a try and see how it works. I so appreciate your solution! Thank you!! 

Marked as solution

Hey @barbpf

Thanks for letting us know. We're glad to hear that now it's working as expected 🙂

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

Have a nice day!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts