Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Enable Spotify in Chrome?

Enable Spotify in Chrome?

I've been using Spotify webplayer at work for the last couple of yeas (we're not allowed to download the app to the computers) but suddenly today it won't allow me to log in on Chrome. It says "Enable player in your browser", and I followed the instructions. I have already allowed access to protected content on chrome. 

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Windows Computer

Operating System

Windows 10 

My Question or Issue

15 Replies

This also happened to me within the last week.

Hey @altesien and @fezesarecool

That's strange!

Does wiping your browser's cookies and cache do anything, as well as using the incognito window?

Keep me posted 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have the same problem. Incognito doesn't work and not deleting cookies and cache either.

Unfortuneatley due to working in a school we can't use incognito windows. I've tried to clear my cache and cookies, but this morning it is still showing as "Enable Player in your browser"

Just noticed the school computers have a new google chrome extension called Impero Education. I feel like this might be blocking Spotify from being used. Which is annoying. Not sure how to get around it. 

@fezesarecool

This add-on might be the culprit indeed. From what I learn, it seems to be quite a powerful tool, complete control over network and classrooms.

You can try if you can open the web player on other computers on the same network, if it causes the same message, then this tool is most likely doing something.

@LinusNorenIs this happening in a work or home network? Also, could you try the web player in other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Edge)?

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

It's a work network for me. It worked on Friday but not today.

Tried it in Edge and that worked. 

Same here. Started giving this error one week ago.

Not working either here, even in incognito mode

I've got exactly the same problem. Using the web player at work (in Chrome) has worked fine for years but since last week or something it stopped working. 

Tried installing Firefox which resulted in the same error. 

Hey, all!

Is the web player working when you try it at home?

For example you're able to bring your work laptop home, or with a hotspot made with mobile to try another network?

Also, is Edge working you as well (if you can use it, that is)? 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

No, it doesn't work from home either when i use my work laptop. 

I am unable to try this in Edge. 

I have attached the console log from Chrome and the error message from Firefox. 

Error-Chrome.PNG
Error-Firefox.PNG

@MattePatte

At this point I suggest taking a look into your hosts file. 🙂
You'll need admin rights for this:

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

Without admin rights you can view the file, but you can't edit it. So if you don't have admin rights, you can still open the file to see if there are any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. If yes, these are the most likely cuplrits.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Nope, nothing related to Spotify in the hosts file. 

It's blank except for the comments (the rows beginning with #). 

Edit: Thanks for trying to help out. 😉

My bet is that this is related to the Spofity Web Player. Do you have access to the changelog? 

Soundcloud works fine btw. 

@MattePatte

I don't have access to the changelog myself. I also don't have any issues with the web player on any devices.

Could you open Firefox and type the following to the address bar:

about:plugins

This shows all plugins installed on Mozilla. The Widewine plugin should have 'enabled' state.
What does it look like for you?

Soundcloud doesn't use Widevine as far as I know. Netflix is a bit closer to what Spotify's web player is. 🙂

I would definitely suggest checking your antivirus and firewall. Work computers often have a bit more powerful antivirus programs in use, I personally had lots of trouble with Panda.

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts