Premium

Country

Australia

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have not left Australia at all or used any VPNs, but for some reason in the last couple of days my spotify has shut down on my PC and gives me error 17 if I try and open it and error 17 if I try and reinstall it. I can use my premium spotify account via the web player perfectly OK, I can use it on my iPhone perfectly OK, but for some reason I can no longer access it on PC.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared it via my firewall, there is no spotify info in %AppData% for me to wipe fresh, I don't understand wth is going on with the **bleep** software. When I try and go to spotify.com.au, for some reason it takes me to spotify.com/is/ - the only thing I can think of is that recently I started to follow some Icelandic music playlists and your stupid software has determined I'm overseas based on that and has locked my access to the PC app?!

3 Replies

Hey @esperai

I don't think you were locked out. Spotify would lock the user out of all clients, not only the desktop app. Also you're Premium and the lock-out only affects Free users who have been aboard for longer than two weeks (in a country not matching one set on their account).

I'd suggest to uninstall Spotify, restart your PC and try this full installer, maybe that helps. 🙂

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Sebasty

I just tried that...I still get error 17 on your full installer. I've restarted my PC, I've deleted all %AppData% details, I've even gone into my registry and deleted all traces of spotify, rebooted, temporarily turned off my firewall to install, none of it works.

I've been a non-stop premium user since 2011 and suddenly my spotify is completely disabled and now I can't even reinstall it without getting error 17.

@esperai

That's pretty weird.

Have you tried the Windows Store version of Spotify?

If that doesn't work, try checking the hosts file - follow this Answer article on how to.

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts