Getting the regular Spotify, not the Windows 10 Store version

Highlighted

Getting the regular Spotify, not the Windows 10 Store version

Regular

Plan - Premium

Country - USA

Device - Windows Laptop w/ Fulla2 DAC/AMP2016)

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro x64

My Question or Issue - I run an addon for Spotify that requires the actual software, not the Windows 10 Store version. I have tried several things to get the "pure" version, but every time it pops up with the Win10 Version. I've done:

• Complete uninstall of WIndows 10 Store version of Spotify, deletion of folder from %AppData%, reboot, reinstall with pure installer.
    • When I do this, it does ask me if I want the original Spotify or the store version. I tell it the original, but it still gives me the Store version.
  • Copy a good "pure" install from a Windows 7 machine and drop folder into %AppData%. Run from spotify.exe and it still reports as the store version.
    • Launching the pure version on my Windows 7 machine launches the pure version, not the store version.

This is getting annoying, because I am unable to use Equalify on my laptop, which sucks when you have money invested in good headphones, a good DAC/amp combo (Schiit Fulla2), and can't get all the benefits because I am unable to use Equalify to tune to my liking.

16 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Getting the regular Spotify, not the Windows 10 Store version

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Hi @theNeonHomer and welcome to the community! Sorry to hear you're having trouble downloading the version of the software you are trying to access. Just to be clear, have you tried downloading it from this page? When I visit that, I automatically get a dialog to download the desktop installer, and there is a separate link for those who prefer the Windows Store version. Does the page look like the attached screenshot when you view it?

Windows Installer Page.png

dinomightRock Star 10
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

Regular

Yes. I get that view... and I have downloaded that file before. I run it and get the Windows Store popup, and tell it "Continue installing from outside the store".Capture.JPG

It goes and downloads the files, and then I sign in to Spotify, and when I check the version, it says:

ICapture1.JPG

Highlighted

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Thanks for those screenshots! Those help a lot as I wasn't totally clear on what point in the process this redirection was occuring. Could you please let me know the exact version of Windows 10 your computer is currently running, and then I will see if I can get some more info or potential solutions for you to try.

dinomightRock Star 10
Highlighted

Regular

It tells me:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1903

Installed On: 7/27/2019

OS Build: 18362.267

It is the 64-bit version...

Highlighted

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Thanks, I will be back to you as soon as I get more information on what could be causing this and/or any possible solutions!

dinomightRock Star 10
Highlighted

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Hi @theNeonHomer, thanks for your patience with this. After seeking some assistance regarding this issue, I've been advised that the Windows store version is the supported version, and that's it's highly recommended that you use that one.

That said, due to your particular use case scenario with the other software you mentioned requiring the desktop version, you would need to contact Microsoft for further assistance, as this appears to be a configuration issue with the PC and not an actual Spotify issue, and unfortunately we can't really resolve that type of situation in this community.

dinomightRock Star 10
Highlighted

Regular

Is there no way to force an older version to run? This is going to become an issue as most of my computers are all Windows 10. I have only one Windows 7 machine, and it's a server...

Sounds like Spotify needs to beat Equalify to the punch and design their own in-app equalizer.

Thank you for your help.

Highlighted

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

I'm honestly not sure what could be preventing you from running the standard executable file, as from my own experience I've never had an issue like that on Windows 10 and am able to install either the store or standard version without issue; however, I'm running the home version not the pro version like you, so it seems likely there's just some configuration option specific to Windows 10 Pro that may be redirecting you to the store. You might try on another machine just to see if the same thing is happening. Hopefully, it's at least contained to the one machine.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more assistance on this one, but definitely seems to be something beyond what I could recommend through standard Spotify settings or installation procedures.

dinomightRock Star 10
Highlighted

Gig Goer

The problem is that Spotifys installer detects that the store version has been installed at one point and auto migrates back to the store version if you install the desktop version.

Its done this since the store version was first released. 

Once installed its a massive pain to get rid of it, and the only way that has consistently worked is to.
* uninstall store version of spotify
* copy spotify install folder from another machine that has the desktop version of spotify installed (pref a win8+ machine)

* and run spotify

If they just disabled the auto migration on first run after install everything would be solved and people could decicde themselves if they wanted the store version or the regular desktop version. 

Equalify developer/owner
SUGGESTED POSTS