Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Getting the regular Spotify, not the Windows 10 Store version

Getting the regular Spotify, not the Windows 10 Store version

Plan - Premium

Country - USA

Device - Windows Laptop w/ Fulla2 DAC/AMP2016)

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro x64

My Question or Issue - I run an addon for Spotify that requires the actual software, not the Windows 10 Store version. I have tried several things to get the "pure" version, but every time it pops up with the Win10 Version. I've done:

• Complete uninstall of WIndows 10 Store version of Spotify, deletion of folder from %AppData%, reboot, reinstall with pure installer.
    • When I do this, it does ask me if I want the original Spotify or the store version. I tell it the original, but it still gives me the Store version.
  • Copy a good "pure" install from a Windows 7 machine and drop folder into %AppData%. Run from spotify.exe and it still reports as the store version.
    • Launching the pure version on my Windows 7 machine launches the pure version, not the store version.

This is getting annoying, because I am unable to use Equalify on my laptop, which sucks when you have money invested in good headphones, a good DAC/amp combo (Schiit Fulla2), and can't get all the benefits because I am unable to use Equalify to tune to my liking.

19 Replies

Hi @theNeonHomer and welcome to the community! Sorry to hear you're having trouble downloading the version of the software you are trying to access. Just to be clear, have you tried downloading it from this page? When I visit that, I automatically get a dialog to download the desktop installer, and there is a separate link for those who prefer the Windows Store version. Does the page look like the attached screenshot when you view it?

Windows Installer Page.png

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yes. I get that view... and I have downloaded that file before. I run it and get the Windows Store popup, and tell it "Continue installing from outside the store".Capture.JPG

It goes and downloads the files, and then I sign in to Spotify, and when I check the version, it says:

ICapture1.JPG

Thanks for those screenshots! Those help a lot as I wasn't totally clear on what point in the process this redirection was occuring. Could you please let me know the exact version of Windows 10 your computer is currently running, and then I will see if I can get some more info or potential solutions for you to try.

dinomightSpotify Star

It tells me:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1903

Installed On: 7/27/2019

OS Build: 18362.267

It is the 64-bit version...

Thanks, I will be back to you as soon as I get more information on what could be causing this and/or any possible solutions!

dinomightSpotify Star

Hi @theNeonHomer, thanks for your patience with this. After seeking some assistance regarding this issue, I've been advised that the Windows store version is the supported version, and that's it's highly recommended that you use that one.

That said, due to your particular use case scenario with the other software you mentioned requiring the desktop version, you would need to contact Microsoft for further assistance, as this appears to be a configuration issue with the PC and not an actual Spotify issue, and unfortunately we can't really resolve that type of situation in this community.

dinomightSpotify Star

Is there no way to force an older version to run? This is going to become an issue as most of my computers are all Windows 10. I have only one Windows 7 machine, and it's a server...

Sounds like Spotify needs to beat Equalify to the punch and design their own in-app equalizer.

Thank you for your help.

I'm honestly not sure what could be preventing you from running the standard executable file, as from my own experience I've never had an issue like that on Windows 10 and am able to install either the store or standard version without issue; however, I'm running the home version not the pro version like you, so it seems likely there's just some configuration option specific to Windows 10 Pro that may be redirecting you to the store. You might try on another machine just to see if the same thing is happening. Hopefully, it's at least contained to the one machine.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more assistance on this one, but definitely seems to be something beyond what I could recommend through standard Spotify settings or installation procedures.

dinomightSpotify Star

The problem is that Spotifys installer detects that the store version has been installed at one point and auto migrates back to the store version if you install the desktop version.

Its done this since the store version was first released. 

Once installed its a massive pain to get rid of it, and the only way that has consistently worked is to.
* uninstall store version of spotify
* copy spotify install folder from another machine that has the desktop version of spotify installed (pref a win8+ machine)

* and run spotify

If they just disabled the auto migration on first run after install everything would be solved and people could decicde themselves if they wanted the store version or the regular desktop version. 

Equalify developer/owner

Yeah, I've tried the uninstall of Spotify, and then copying the install from my Win7 box, but as soon as it runs and I check the version, it says it is the store version.

Capture.JPG

This is the version I have installed on my Windows 7 x64 machine... I've tried copying the folder from this machine to my Win10 machine, and when it fires back up, it comes up with the store version... it almost acts like it's not even reading the old version...

@dinomight wrote:

I'm honestly not sure what could be preventing you from running the standard executable file, as from my own experience I've never had an issue like that on Windows 10 and am able to install either the store or standard version without issue; however, I'm running the home version not the pro version like you, so it seems likely there's just some configuration option specific to Windows 10 Pro that may be redirecting you to the store. You might try on another machine just to see if the same thing is happening. Hopefully, it's at least contained to the one machine.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more assistance on this one, but definitely seems to be something beyond what I could recommend through standard Spotify settings or installation procedures.

I do appreciate the help.

I believe my TV PC (the computer that I use with my TV because the TV is not so smart... LOL) is a Win10 Home box... I'll have to see if it has the same issue.

Hi all,

I've been through **bleep** and back with this. As several stated, once the store version is installed it's really hard to remove it. The APPDATA removal is only part of the issue.

So, what I did was:

* Uninstall from the Start Menu (search for Spotify, click Uninstall)

* Go to Add or remove programs in the Settings, search for Spotify (yep, still there)

* Select Move and move it to a different drive (if you have an empty USB drive, use it). Windows will create 3 folders. Delete them. If you have permission issues, take ownership

* Go back to APPDATA and enter Local\Packages folder. Delete all Spotify folders (I only had one)

* Reboot, enter flight mode and run the SpotifyFullSetup.exe.

I hope you guys can do it. 

Spotify about.jpg
Spotify about.jpg

I could do it, you have to go to "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\"  look for the spotify folder, change permissions to your user, then rename it to anything else, i couldn't delete it, but that does the trick. Then proceed to install with the installer from the website, that worked for me.

im having trouble, as when i uninstall spotify from the start menu, its not their anymore in the add or remove programs, and i cant access windowsapps either, any help? im trying to get the desktop version so my add-on for rainmeter works 

Hi yomamasucks,

Well, that sucks. Install it again and check if it's there so you can move it.

As for the appdata folder, you have to take ownership of the folder. Press right button, then Properties, go the security tab, advanced and change the owner to your user (it's probably the System account currently).

From here, continue with the steps I already gave.

Hope you can do it!

Regards

What I have found to work in my case, when I bought a new laptop that had the UWP version preinstalled, was to use a 3rd party uninstaller like "iobit uninstaller" or a similar program. Then install from the .exe and it should install as a true program.

Also check that you're not in S mode. Windows S mode only allows installations from the store. although i believe it comes with a popup if you try to install a .exe

Here's the official message from Microsoft Community:

BoscoChung_0-1598256721559.png

Hey everyone,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

Keep in mind that the version of the app meant for Windows 10 is the one from the Microsoft Store. That said, we'd be happy to help you get the version from our website. 

First you should give these steps a try and perform a clean reinstall. You can then head over to this page and download the full version of the Spotify installer from our website. Disconnect from the Internet and run it, that should do the trick.

If the issue persists, it would seem that the problem lies with the Windows configuration itself. In that case it might be a good idea to give the solution @BoscoChung proposed a try, or go ahead and contact the Microsoft Customer Support. You can do this here.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts