Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Give us your feedback - 0.9.0

Solved!

Give us your feedback - 0.9.0

Hey everyone,

Following on from our previous thread on 0.8.8, we've started up this thread to gather feedback from you on 0.9.0.

We want to hear what you love, what you hate, and any other emotions you have towards the app.

You'll find a list of everything that's changed in the app in our release notes hereAnd we'll be keeping this post updated with the changes we're making, along with where you can give us further feedback.

What we've changed:

1. The app should be a lot quicker now. So if you were affected by any slow behaviour previously, this shouldn't be an issue any more.

2. Clicking anywhere in the Now Playing box, rather than just the album art, will bring you straight to the song. This was reported here.

Where you can give us further feedback with your comments and kudos:

1. Change the white interface [we're currently reaching to users about this directly]

2. Changes to the activity feed -

i. Bring back the old activity feed

ii. The Favourites feature

iii.Greater control of content in the feed: 

3. Bring back the total playlst length:

4. Filter option on artist pages

5. Go back to the old artist layout 

6. Ability to view all Facebook friends in the Follow tab:

7. View all playlist followers

8. Block/Remove followers 

9. Separate artists and friends

10. Remove 'who to follow'

11. Revert the font back to the original size (or provide an option to do so)

12. Restore 'View as Album List'

Thanks for all your support. We appreciate that there are a lot of changes going on at the moment and it can be a bumpy road at times. But we're confident that you'll like where we're going.

All your opinions matter and go into making Spotify the best product it can be. Keep it coming!

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
920 Replies

Nothing like a bit of Spoti-crapness to get this thread going again.

Like everyone else mine keeps crashing today, not sure how often since I'm not actually using it, just leaving it open and checking occasionally.

I don't want to be too hasty and assume this is another attack, it wouldn't be the first time Spotify's had a few hours of recurring crashes. I think after The Event a couple of weeks back its clear that Spotify can do more than just make 0.8.5 close occasionally. I've noticed the whats new page has been problematic over the last couple of days too. I'm reluctant to go down to 0.6 since i use Soundrop a fair bit so i'll just wait this one out and see how it is tomorrow.

As for Google, well its not in the UK yet and from what i can tell its browser only and white in colour. I also expect the catalogue will be significantly smaller, especially with non-major labels. Spotify's head-start means it already has established deals with all the independent distributors, there's a hell of a lot of good music available that I don't expect to see on newer competitors for some time. Has sound-quality/bitrate or gapless playback on Google been mentioned yet?

I guess I'm sticking with Spotify for now whatever happens, not that I'm necessarily happy about it.

Smash Up The Dancefloor (Drum & Bass)
Fluid Mechanics (Chilled)

@SevenL

It's amazing how clean the old UI is. And how speedy Spotify is. I can't get over how nice this old version is. Did I mention how fast it is? 😉

I can clearly see the goodness in the older clients that olejon and Stupify and others have mentioned in the past from time to time.

Well I'll be flogged and damned. That version 0.6.5.2  works smooth as glass, I wonder what possessed spotify to change from such a wonderful desktop app version like this one and insert so much web elements and remove other needed and wanted options that I have posted about previously. I guess I will use this version until spotify forces a total system wide use of the 0.9.0 versions, the only set back for me now is I can not use the custom skins that I had for the 0.8.5.1333 version I was using to match spotify color scheme with the windows 7 theme I am currently using.

And I also can not believe how smooth the cd artwork loads on the 0.6.5.2 version. I did not have one error loading the proper cd artwork with the artists playlist I have, none of the cd artwork is grayed or blanked out.

@AbsolutelyNoFB wrote:

@SevenL

It's amazing how clean the old UI is. And how speedy Spotify is. I can't get over how nice this old version is. Did I mention how fast it is? 😉

I can clearly see the goodness in the older clients that olejon and Stupify and others have mentioned in the past from time to time.

Yes, it's so much faster. My laptop is old and a bit slow and cranky, and the new artist pages the latest couple of updates introduced, they were a nightmare. My laptop despised loading them. Whenever I was scrolling through an artist with any significant back catalogue of albums, the scroll bar would have to freeze at the bottom for a few seconds for the next section to load. Also I got a weird bug where if I clicked on an artist page, then clicked on another artist, it would show me the albums from the PREVIOUS artist page. 

Why are you doing this to us spotify? if I want to downgrade, let me for **bleep**s sake

I think that as soon as Google Play Music All Access arrives, I'll cancel my subscription

too much bull**bleep**

Thanks for the tips on 0.6.5.2 guys - rocking it now and it's running smooth so far.  This must have been made before all the web BS was added.

@SevenL

Yes, it's so much faster. My laptop is old and a bit slow and cranky, and the new artist pages the latest couple of updates introduced, they were a nightmare. My laptop despised loading them. Whenever I was scrolling through an artist with any significant back catalogue of albums, the scroll bar would have to freeze at the bottom for a few seconds for the next section to load. Also I got a weird bug where if I clicked on an artist page, then clicked on another artist, it would show me the albums from the PREVIOUS artist page.

The scrolling they put in the latest update(s) is "broken by design". It doesn't even work well on a screaming fast machine. The Spotify developers should know better. It's hard for me to believe that the same developers who built the old client versions would make something so dysfunctional. Hence my theory that many of these developers don't work at Spotify anymore.

Having used the v0.6.5.2 client for a while... I am sticking with this version. It's so fast and smooth. Songs load faster. Artwork loads faster. The "What's New" page actually works (well, it updates) and it displays very fast... maybe 1/4 second.

Seeing all this goodness, it shocks me even more to see the gross mismanagement of the desktop clients over time... all so Spotify can try new harebrained schemes to monetize their free tier of users. What a bunch of idiots.

There is only one slight small issue with the version 0.6.5.2 this version does not rememeber or mark where one leaves off from within a playlist and always reverts back to whats new each and everytime the app is closed, or even when one logs out and logs back in. I have not tried staying logged in and just shutting down the player and starting it again to see what it does then.

I still have issues with related artists. Whenever I look into related artists, check out their music and want to go back, Idont go back to related artist but to "overview"of the previous artists, which makes me need to go back into related artists and scroll down to wherever I was. So goddamn irritating, and it's been an issue for a long time now and I seen so many complain about this. Will this be fixed soon in a new rollout? 

-Bernt

@luciantenebrae wrote:

There is only one slight small issue with the version 0.6.5.2 this version does not rememeber or mark where one leaves off from within a playlist and always reverts back to whats new each and everytime the app is closed, or even when one logs out and logs back in. I have not tried staying logged in and just shutting down the player and starting it again to see what it does then.

Seems like it doesn't work for me either. When I quit and restart Spotify it puts me on the What's New page. Maybe one of the old-timers knows how to fix this. It may be that deleting one's settings is necessary when downgrading. When I click on the "now playing" album, it seems like the client wants to do something.

ah yes, but AERO SNAP works with 0.6 🙂

if you've not done so, try it:

WIN+(left arrow) or WIN+(right arrow) to snap to each side

@nk wrote:

ah yes, but AERO SNAP works with 0.6 🙂

if you've not done so, try it:

WIN+(left arrow) or WIN+(right arrow) to snap to each side

This is beyond irony. Yes, Aero Snap works fine in the 2011 client. Which means they have the code for Aero Snap, but they refuse to put it back into the latest client versions. If I weren't a Spotify customer, I might find this perversely funny.

0.8.5.1356 is suddenly force closing many times a day. Rocking Windows 8 x64. 

Any others had the same problem?

What client version do you guys reccomend for me regarding STABILITY? I really like the playlist folder function, but not necessary. 

@o-l-a-v

It seems most, if not all, v0.8.5 users on both Windows and Mac aren't able to keep the client going for long without it crashing/exiting frequently.

I upgraded to version 0.6.5.2 earlier today and haven't had any further issues. This is on Windows 7 x64, though. I don't know how things will go on Windows 8 x64.

The only downside of v0.6.5.2 is that it doesn't remember what you were playing when you quit/restart Spotify. Otherwise, it seems really nice for my rather basic needs.

I'm trying to get 0.6.5.2 aswell, but it won't start Compability mode doesn't do sh!t either.. About upgrade blocking, same procedure as with 0.8.5?

Edit: And 0.8.4 get forced updates. Great

IM SO F*CKED UP WITH YOU SPOTIFY!! I'm this || close to cancel my subscription you f*cking talentless idiots!

I'm so looking forward to the new Google music service. Rdio or Deezer if that doesn't turn out great. 

@o-l-a-v

Upgrade blocking is the same as v0.8.5. When I installed v0.6.5.2, it left my auto-update-prevention files in place. I installed right over v0.8.5, and v0.6.5.2 started fine. However, it might be worthwhile uninstalling v0.8.5 manually and seeing if that helps.

It would seem that verions of the 0.8.5 are having issues with spotify today. I had the version 0.8.5.1333 but like many here after I had logged in spotify would shut down or play music for about 10 minutes and then shutdown on it's own. AbsolutelyNoFB posted a quick fix about downgrading to version 0.6.5.2 which you can find the information here a couple of pages back. If you so choose to though I think that version is for windows only and has a slight issue with remembering where a user left off in their playlists when logged out and the client shutdown. I did a clean install after uninstalling the spotify client and I also deleting the folder in my C:\Users\"yourusername"\AppData\Local\Spotify\ titled spotify in windows 7, and just for good measure I restarted to remove anything sticking within the windows cache before reinstaling version 0.6.5.2. You can try that version of 0.6.5.2 if you wish to, be forwarned all of the newer web elements and even some of the following options like people following your playlists will not show on that older version when it is used.

@AbsolutelyNoFB

I've tried that too. Uninstalled with "geek uninstaller" which remove all traces. No luck. 

And spotify web does not support 320kbps streaming yet, + gui in general S*UCKS a$$. God d a m n..

@nk

The older client seems to load songs way faster than v.0.8.5. I can navigate randomly through my playlists and click on songs and they load quickly and without the funny network issues that seemed to crop up with v0.8.5 and later clients. Do you notice anything similar?

The songs also seem to sound slightly better... almost like a small amount of jitter in the v0.8.5 client is not there in the v0.6.5 client... but this maybe just my belief that Spotify makes everything worse with every new version of the client 😉

0.6.5 works fine (thanks for the tip), but it seems to lack gapless playback. Does anybody know if there's an old version that works and has gapless?

Suggested posts