Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Help - Clearing play queue of automatic songs and playlists.

Solved!

Help - Clearing play queue of automatic songs and playlists.

Hi,

Sorry I'm new.  I realise this problem has already been posted before, but I've not found the answer that I'm looking for!

Basically I've double clicked a song instead of adding it to the play queue.  This has now added the whole back catalogue to the play queue.  'No problem!' I think, I'll just skip though all the songs and when I get to the end the play queue will be clear... This used to work, but now when you skip the last song in the queue, it re-queues up the whole back catalougue AGAIN.

Another thing I used to do is skip to the last song then queue a song after it.  After the chosen queued song had been played the play queue would be clear. This doesn't work anymore either.  Once the last song has been played it yet again queues up the whole back catalogue for the artist you double clicked.  This could have been days ago, or weeks ago.  Why does it remember? I've tried restarting Spotify, but it's still there, all queued up.

My currently bug bear is the Foo Fighters.  A friend came over ages ago and instead of queuing a song, double clicked it instead.  Now I have the whole of Foo Fighters constantly in my play queue and there doesn't seem to be anything I could do about it.  Today I've cleared though all the songs and then queued up some other music I wanted to listen too.  I had about enough time to listen to 10 tracks.  So I queue up 10 tracks assuming that when it got to the end of the list the music would just stop, but no.  After the last song Foo Fighters starts playing again.  I notice that another Foo Fighters track has been automatically added to the end of the queue.  I skip this hoping for the list to clear and then the whole Foo Fighters catalogue is queued up AGAIN! It's getting very frustrating.

Some suggestions I've seen include double clicking another artist or play list.  This does clear what's being automatically queued, but the cycle continues.  Whatever you have double clicked now automatically queues up again instead. It's like theres no end to music once it is being played.  It's the same for playlists.  Once you've got to the end of a playlist it automatically queues itself up again even if you don't want to listen to it.  You manually queue up more songs, but Spotify will automatically start playing the last playlist you've clicked once you get to the end of your play queue.  It's absolutely ridiculous, and sometimes embarrassing when a song not in the style of what you've been listening to suddenly comes on and there's nothing you can do about it.  I just want a clear queue, that I can start afresh from whenever I log in.  When I finish a playlist I want it to be finished not just automatically be queued up again.  All previous tricks as described above seem to have stopped working.  Even re-starting Spotify/logging in and logging out doesn't seem to work.

Please help!

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Selecting the empty playlist and hitting the big green play button seems to work for me. Gets rid of tracks on my play queue completely. Hopefully it will work for others.

View solution in original post

29 Replies

The way the queue work was changed some time ago, due to popular demand. For now if you want to clear your queue you can always play another context (another playlist, album,...) and the queue will be replaced by the new one. Then the queue will be cleared.

There is a workaround for clearing the queue completely (apart from the song currently playing) though. Create a new empty playlist and, when you want to clear the queue, right click on the empty playlist and select "choose as current playlist". You'll get an error which you can dismiss and the queue will be down to the currently playing track.

Unfortunately this solution doesn't seem to be working anymore. It used to, but at some point very recently, possibly the last week or so, it has ceased to be effective. By selecting the empty playlist as the current one, I get the error message, then the queue appears to be clear - yet when the current song finishes, spotify just moves onto the next track of the respective album of the last played track regardless and queues up the rest of the tracks. This is ridiculously annoying and needless. Please tell me there's another way to get around this or that it will be fixed.

Does that still happen if you manually queue something? The client appears to have been edited to re-fill the queue when it gets emptied with whatever was playing previously now.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Has anybody come up with a solution? Selecting empty playlist to clear the queue was a hack but at least it worked.

Now it looks like it's impossible to clear the queue without restarting Spotify and that is even more stupid and annoying than choosing empty playlist. Queueing more tracks manually changes nothing, it continues with the current neverending playlist when the manually added tracks are finished.

I can't believe I have to ask a question as stupid as this, cluelessly I thought that repeat button is the one controlling, you know, THE REPEAT.

Tl;dr

How to make Spotify stop playing playlist when repeat is off and playlist ends.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of another work around now, unless you made a playlist with a track that was super short the just silence (if you could find one).

Peter

Yeah, well that would kind of work, but then it would end up in my last.fm and stuff. So I guess we have to just deal with it for now.

Marked as solution

Selecting the empty playlist and hitting the big green play button seems to work for me. Gets rid of tracks on my play queue completely. Hopefully it will work for others.

"choose as current playlist" doesn' t seem to work anymore. Now you have to go to your empty playlist and press the green play button on top. After that the queue is cleared again.

Thank you, this worked!

I can't get the green "Play" button to work anymore.  Why is Spotify doing this to people?

Have you tried using Choose As Current Playlist on the empty one which you will see a blue banner error?

I used to do that, but it stopped working.  Then I found I could click the Play button on my blank playlist, but that now no longer works.

Ok try this add a really short song to that blank playlist a single or double digit seconds song. I usually use a short timed punk song since there are several of them available to me. Then click the play button on that original blank playlist and all the songs will flush from the queue and only load that one short song.

Just noticed they disabled the play button work around in the update I just got. 😞

Peter

hmm yes 😞 but why? what 's wrong with this workaround?

I just managed to empty the queue with a new workaround, but I am not sure if I can reproduce it again.

Ok, the way I'm getting through it now is to create a new playlist with one track. Select the playlist with one track as the current playlist. Then delete the playlist as it plays. Hitting next to skip the remaining tracks in the play queue will once again clear it completely. Hope again that this works for others. It does mean you have to create and delete a new playlist everytime you want to clear your queue, but it shouldn't take long.

Has Spotify ever explained why they're being such dicks about this?  I'm a subscriber and this behavior is really pissing me off.

I don't know, but it's not a smart thing to have as a problem for this long.  I was thinking I'd introduce some of my older relatives to Spotify because I know they'd enjoy all the music.  But with this problem the program has now, I just know they'd be confused and frustrated and never touch it again.

Exactly.  I suggested Spotify to my wife and that's the first question she had.  I told her about the empty list workaround.  Now that doesn't even work, so she's frustrated with it.

Suggested posts