Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Help with multiple artists on one local file?

Solved!

Help with multiple artists on one local file?

Hello all, I've been having an issue with some of my recently added local files. You see, in an effort to satisfy my constant need for categorisation and organisation, I decided to use Audacity to add proper names, artists, release years, etc. to the local files I have on my laptop, so they show up nice on Spotify. However, when I looked at my local files, I noticed that there were some strange things going on when there were multiple artists involved.

In the metadata, I added multiple artists with names separated by semicolons as the Windows metadata editing system seems to prefer. However, when I came to check Spotify, instead of the artists being listed and separated by commas (as is the standard for Spotify), it just takes the name with the semicolons and uses that instead. Is there another way I can separate the artists' names to make sure they are separated properly?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Charlie_P 

Spotify won't replace semicolons with colons, and it also doesn't make a link between the song artist and the artists profile on Spotify server. It used to, but not anymore.

However I would recommend using commas or & symbols, it will look much better. 😄

Windows is not very useful for editing tags, especially when editing something that's not a .wav or .mp3, and yes it forces to use semicolons which really makes no sense. Since you use Audacity for tag edits, you can safely leave out the semicolons, that won't break anything.

I use foobar2000 that is in itself a music player software, but it has potent metadata editing and conversion tools.

Let me know if you need more help,
have a lovely day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey @Charlie_P 

Spotify won't replace semicolons with colons, and it also doesn't make a link between the song artist and the artists profile on Spotify server. It used to, but not anymore.

However I would recommend using commas or & symbols, it will look much better. 😄

Windows is not very useful for editing tags, especially when editing something that's not a .wav or .mp3, and yes it forces to use semicolons which really makes no sense. Since you use Audacity for tag edits, you can safely leave out the semicolons, that won't break anything.

I use foobar2000 that is in itself a music player software, but it has potent metadata editing and conversion tools.

Let me know if you need more help,
have a lovely day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts