Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I search only my own music?

How do I search only my own music?

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When I search in Spotify it searches the whole wide world and I only want to search my own music.  How can I tell Spotify to search only in my own library?

20 Replies

Hey @VincentWansink!

By "own music", do you mean music you've uploaded as an artist onto Spotify or music you've hearted?

Let me know.

Felix

I can't speak for the OP, but I have the latter question.

Hey @abcdefg!

You can browse through all of your hearted songs by clicking on "Liked Songs" in the "Your Library" tab. To read more about Your Library, click here.

I hope this helps, let me know. 🙂
Felix

Not browse. Search. I might be able to get by if the liked songs list is alphabetized, but I can't figure out how to do that either. Thanks for the quick reply though.

I mean music in my library.  And I've not hearted all the music in my library so that's not a solution either.

Hey again @abcdefg.

Gotcha. The Liked Songs list lets you filter artist, song and album names just as any other playlist. More on that here. If you want to sort the Liked Songs list (or any other playlist) alphabetically, you'll find how to do that here as well.

Let me know if I could answer your question properly!

Felix

Hey @VincentWansink.

Just to clarify, do you mean music you've listened to in the past but haven't playlisted nor hearted?

Kind of but not necessarily all songs I've listened to in the past.  I mean any song that's listed in "My Library".  When I go to my library, I can group by playlist, artists or albums.  Not every song I have in my library is in a playlist or liked, but I do want to be able to Shuffle Play my entire music library without having Spotify play songs that I've never heard before nor requested.

Maybe I'm confused because I'm coming from the Groove Music world (which is now dead, unfortunately) and all my songs from my Groove Library were automatically ported over to Spotify when Microsoft surrendered.  So now I have all my songs in my Spotify library, but Spotify doesn't seem to work the same way as what I'm used to.

On the Groove Music app I used to be able to find a song in their catalogue and "Add to my library", without adding it to a playlist or liking it.  It doesn't look like Spotify has that same option, which might be the reason for all this confusion, and which might explain why I have songs in my library that are not in a playlist or liked.  Do you guys not have such songs in your library?

When I do a search for a song, I want to be able to choose to search only within my library or to search Spotify's entire catalogue.  Also, I want to be able to "Shuffle Play" my entire library without having to choose a playlist, and without having to first "like" every single song in my library.  Is this even possible with Spotify?

Hey @VincentWansink.

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

I haven't heard of a feature called "My Library" before, could you send over a screenshot? That should help me understand what you're talking about.

And I'm afraid Spotify doesn't have such a feature as Groove Music did. You can either put music in playlists and sort it that way, or you go to "Your Library", where you'll have different tabs, e.g. Artists, Albums or Liked Songs.

However, feel free to create an Idea on that, if you deeply care about it. Perhaps it becomes a feature someday. More on that here.

Best,

Felix

When I say "My Library" I'm referring to what you referred to as the link labelled "Your Library".

Ah, okay! Yeah, unfortunately you aren't able to play all music from your whole library without switching to the different tabs and clicking on the playlists/songs.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you to find the solution you wish to have. However, if you still have any questions, don't hesitate to come to the Community.

Have a good weekend,

Felix

Thanks for your effort Felix.

No worries, I'm always here to help!

I have a similar problem: I have a vast "Your Library" and want to search just in that for one composer. When I do a search it throws up EVERY album in the Spotify catalogue for that composer, not just the one I'm looking for.

Hey @ajbloor73,

If you go to Your Library > Albums > you can filter out the albums of that composer by writing his name in the Filter search bar.

Then you'd only get the albums you've followed from that artist.

You can do the same for playlists.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sadly not. I use the web based W teen (can’t download the app / desktop player as I have a managed device) and there isn’t a search bar at the top of the anima page… unless I’m missing something.

I found the perfect solution.  Switch to Amazon music.  I made the switch shortly after I started this thread and never looked back.  Amazon music allows me to do everything I want, the way I want.  I like it a lot better than Spotify to be honest.

Hi @ajbloor73

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Currently, there's no option to filter by the composer in the app/web player.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

You can also have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion. If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea so that other users can also support it. The higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

We'll be right here, if you have any other questions. 

Have a good one!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

For a use case and the problems with this:

1. Situation: I remember a song's name and the artist - it's a remix, that I know too. I can't find it on spotify, even using "See all" for the song results in the search.
  2. If you go to "your library" and any section and go to the search, you search in that section only and I presume only the names showing up in that very same view. So "search in playlists" unintuitively means searching in playlist names only.
  3. I use the general search function looking for the artist and keywords like "remix" and "mix". None of this yields the result.
  4. Spend half an hour searching around the internet, at some point I think that a name sounds like the one I'm looking for.
  5. Entering this search string in the general search in spotify, I actually find it.
  6. I try to add it to a playlist - spotify tells me it's already in the list...uhm...what? Why didn't it show up in any of the other searches? A function allowing to search content in "your library" I assume would have made this easier and given me the right result.

It makes no sense to have search but specifically not one that allows users to search through things they've collected in their library.

Suggested posts