Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to permanently uninstall Spotify on Windows 10

Solved!

How to permanently uninstall Spotify on Windows 10

I want to uninstall Spotify once and for all. I already tried on the Control Panel > Programs and Features but it just won't work. I've searched for other solutions in forums but none would work. Can someone help me? I'm totally not satisfied with the app and would like to remove it.

39 Replies

THANK YOU

I'm having the same issue and can't unistall Spotify from Windows 10, what does this mean and how do I execute it in order to delete program from control panel without having my internet connected???

Killed spotify.exe and spotify web connector

How do I apply this execution??? is this in the program folders???

please explain..

thanks 

No Andy, this does not help.  I'm happy that you were able to uninstall the way it is supposed to work, but most of us cannot do that, and we are not doing anything wrong.  Which is why this post exists in the first place.

It beggars belief that Spotify supplies code that cannot be easily removed. Now I have done so after lots of faffing about, I won't be using it again.

I just updated Windows 10 again yesterday (fall update) and had an issue with uninstalling as well. Its no longer control panel, you have to right click the "start button", then click "apps and features". Then search for the app, press uninstall. The computer would ask me permission to let spotify change settings on the computer. I said yes, but nothing happened. It wouldnt uninstall. Did this several times, but nothing. I restarted the computer. Still there. I disabled the task in task manager (and webhelper? Some task mentioned in previous post), still didnt work. I happen to dig more and right click the spotify icon on my desktop, and clicked "run as administrator" (even though i already am administrator but decided to try it anyway). After that it let me uninstall normal under "apps and settings" in the start menu. Laaaammmeee. But it worked. Ugh lol. Now it makes me believe if I have issues similar with other programs, i need to do this...but when it comes to a program that doesnt have a desktop icon....well that will be another internet search lol.

Hope this way helps for some.

Angelica

The unistaller crashes on startup and nothing happens, no error window or anything.

There are no running processes in the task manager related to the app.

@spbork Hey there, sorry you're having issues with uninstalling:

There are three troubleshooting steps which may help:

• Try running the uninstaller as an administrator.
  • Starting the computer on safe mode could help.
  • Manually deleting all the Spotify folders and files.

If you need help figuring out any of those steps, I can run you through it in more detail 🙂

didnt work for me.  I am getting 'Spotify failed to migrate some of your data' and spotify starts.

According to the win 10 control panel - unintsall a program I have spotify version 1.0.67.582.g19436fa3

The reason for uninstalling is that I am currently paying for a different music service (for some things that spotify didnt have) and didnt see the point in paying for 2 concurrently. I was going to swap between the 2 music services as the mood grabbed me but now ... I cant see myself re-installing spotify as turning it off is too hard.

@foo_downunder can you explain the troubleshooting steps you took? I'm trying to understand your problem specifically and why a cache error would have occurred.

History:
I was a spotify premium member having downloaded the spotify app. I don't
recall having downloaded a windows store app (though it is possible).
My PC was originally win8.1 but has recently (several months) been upgraded
to win10, (then an in place reinstall of win10)

I swapped over to another family music subscription service due to some
specific items other family members were interested in. (I had been happy
but *shrug*, there is a lot of obscure stuff out there)

Spotify premium would not automatically fall back to advert based, and I
could not be bothered changing the subscription.

So I tried to either stop spotify from auto launching, or uninstall it.

When attempting to uninstall Spotify, I get 'Spotify is unable to migrate
some of your data', and simply starts the app.
Spotify was auto starting when my pc starts and I want to get rid of it.

Google searches suggested
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/How-do-I-completely-uninstall-spotify/td-p/34087

I tried (as an administrator account):

*"Uninstall* *Spotify:* (Start > Control Panel > Programs / *Uninstall* a
Program > *Spotify*)" (spotify simply gave me the unable to migrate
message and restarted spotify)

restarting computer and trying again. (still giving the unable to migrate
message and restart.)

At this stage I looked at spotify settings and all I got were web proxy /
network connection settings.

There were 2 different spotifies to install. Given the above searches (and
others?) it suggested I had both the windows store and 'legacy' versions
installed.

Windows store does not give an uninstall option. (not spotifies fault as
far as I can tell, but grr at microsoft store)

I tried control panel based uninstalls in different version, with no
success.

As part of this I let spotify launch itself and used task manager to find
file location (D:\windowsapps\
I again used task manager to shut down all spotify instances, both in
'apps' and 'background processes'

I launched a command prompt as administrator and attempted to delete the
spotify folder in d:\windowsapps\. Permission was denied, and at first
glance at permssions, this folder seems tied down by windows.

I used task manager/startup to disable the spotify (and spotifywebhelper)
startup (if this would have worked from the app I would have been content
and not worried any further - the disk space was not a real issue)

I used recovery - advanced startup to launch a 'safe mode' (ish) command
prompt as my user, and deleted the
d:\windowapps\ option.

Since then I have also removed %appdata%/spotify
(C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Spotify)

I am already ill - disposed towards windows store applications, and this
has made me even more wary of them.

I have finally (I think) managed to disable and remove spotify, and do not
see myself going through this hassle again, nor will I recommend spotify to
anyone else.

If there had been an easier 'go away/dont magically startup' option, even
leaving stuff on the disk, I would not have bothered to go to these efforts
and would have continued to swap between music streaming services as needed
(and could have recommended others do the same). Instead I am now very
frustrated with spotify and would not like others to risk this pain either.

Your follow up email was a pleasant surprise, and I have tried to remember
the steps I took to troubleshoot and give meaningful feedback. It is not
enough for me to try spotify again.

@foo_downunder Sadly, errors can happen when interacting with other applications, especially when uninstalling and especially across operating systems. 

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration and am very glad to hear you managed to successfully uninstall Spotify. Thank you very much for putting the time in to recall the steps you undertook, it may prove very useful for a future user experiencing the same issue. All the best and I hope you enjoy the music whichever service you decide to use!

I was having this issue on 2 different computers (W10x64 and W7x86) - uninstalling from control panel didn't seem to do anything.. No errors, nothing. If I killed Spotify.exe and Spotify Web Helper in task manager before attempting uninstall, I noticed that Spotify.exe would appear in the task manager shortly after clicking uninstall, then disappear after a couple seconds, but Spotify still wouldn't uninstall.

Finally, I disconnected from the internet and I was able to uninstall it! I clicked uninstall, Spotify.exe appeared in task manager, then I received the prompt "Are you sure you want to uninstall Spotify?" Clicked OK and it uninstalled. Tested this multiple times and it uninstalled every time after disconnecting from internet (no need to kill any processes in task manager). Hope this helps! (although we shouldn't have to do this and Spotify should get this fixed)

Click on Windows Logo icon on the bottom of your screen. 
Don't type anything just look under the third column (Play) you should see Spotify. Right click and then uninstall. 
Problem Solved 😃

That did not work. Hence the more complicated stuff above.

@xbillyjean42x wrote:

I just updated Windows 10 again yesterday (fall update) and had an issue with uninstalling as well. Its no longer control panel, you have to right click the "start button", then click "apps and features". Then search for the app, press uninstall. The computer would ask me permission to let spotify change settings on the computer. I said yes, but nothing happened. It wouldnt uninstall. Did this several times, but nothing. I restarted the computer. Still there. I disabled the task in task manager (and webhelper? Some task mentioned in previous post), still didnt work. I happen to dig more and right click the spotify icon on my desktop, and clicked "run as administrator" (even though i already am administrator but decided to try it anyway). After that it let me uninstall normal under "apps and settings" in the start menu. Laaaammmeee. But it worked. Ugh lol. Now it makes me believe if I have issues similar with other programs, i need to do this...but when it comes to a program that doesnt have a desktop icon....well that will be another internet search lol.

Hope this way helps for some.

Angelica

This worked for me, thank you! Although I didn't have to go through all that trouble with the permission not working and having to restart the computer and everything, just searched for it in apps and programs like you did and it worked instantly. I had made sure before to turn off all running instances in the task manager.

There are definitely circumstances where Spotify will absolutely not uninstall. Every time I try to uninstall it from my PC, then it will automatically be immediately reinstalled onto my computer. I'm on my admin account, I've tried deleting the roaming folder, I don't know what to do.

This fixed my problem! Thank you so much

I experienced the phenomenom that I had uinstalled Spotify but it still launched at every login, despite setting Spotify to not start when loggin in to Windows. Well, it's not a Spotify-error. It's Microsoft error as per usual. If you have downloaded the Spotify app in Windows Store there's your culprit.Open the Task Manager, switch to the Startup-tab. Select both Spotify entrances and inactivate.

Skärmklipp.JPG

What if there's NO uninstaller in spotify folder?

Have you checked your task manager? CTRL+ESC then show more and tab Autostart. It's gonna be in there somewhere. I attached a photo which you might find usefull.

Skärmklipp.JPG

Suggested posts