Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to play local files

How to play local files

Hi There

I've just signed up for premium and installed the Spotify app (v 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7) and trying to play some local .mp3 files on my Windows 10 PC. Spotify can see the files but when I click play it says 

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it"

I'm a bit of a newbie so my first time with Spotify. I've looked at some other posts with similar issues and have tried reinstalling both from the Windows store and from the download on the Spotify website all without success.

It says the app is supposed to play .mp3 so not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it's some bug so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Peter 

3 Replies

Hey @Palace99, help's here. 

We first suggest that you do a quick reinstall for a fresh start and to ensure that you have the latest Spotify version. This means that you'll have to re-download any music you've saved for offline use.

After that, check out this help article to check out the most common criteria for using local files on Spotify.

If that doesn't work, try putting the file in another folder and use that folder as a source for local files from your app's settings. Rename the files if necessary to something that only contains letters and spacing, without any special characters.

Let us know how that goes! 🙂

Hi Jemi

Thank you for the reply. You might have missed where I said that I had already installed both from the Windows store and the Spotify website without success. Maybe it's the way I've created the mp3. I've got music created by my daughter which I've made into an mp3 and also some songs I've ripped from a CD. Is there some special requirement for an mp3 that spotify won't play? Do I need to add tag's or anything? 

I've already tried moving the files out of My Music to another folder, also without success.

Cheers

Peter

Hey @Palace99.

Thanks for gettingback to us.

We are aware of an issue with the app and are currently investigating it. Feel free to contribute in this topic where we gather information from affected users and keep everybody up-to-date. We'll get this sorted as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Suggested posts