Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to save artists

Solved!

How to save artists

After the new update I have a slot for songs, albums and artists. I have found how to save a song (the plus sign) how to save albums (go to the album page and click save) but how on earth do you save artists?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Ahh, I see. I was thinking Spotify was saving a reference to a Song, an Album, or an Artist rather than saving a list of songs and showing Albums and Artists from the list of Songs that have been saved. Kind of a bummer really. I think saving an Artist would have been handy. Especially considering the relatively low number of songs that can be saved (10k). 

Update:

Specifically, if you could save an Artist, it would be nice to have the discography listed dynamically so when a new album is released you don't have to go search for it to find it.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Try this to save an artist: play any song from an album by this artist, then click on the +-icon in the lower left corner where you find the album, artist and cover info (see attached screenshot). The artist is then added to your artists list and the icon changes appropriately.

View solution in original post

1.png
17 Replies

I was just digging to find that out as well. Logically, it seems like you would go to the artist's page and click "Save" but that doesn't appear to be an option. Maybe there's a bug with it and they have it disabled for now?

I don't thik the ability to save an artist was included, possibly because adding an entire discography wasn't something they thought people would want.

It's pretty easy to add albums from the artist page though. I see a load of album covers displayed and hovering over one of these reveals a checkmark for saving the album to Your Music.

Marked as solution

Ahh, I see. I was thinking Spotify was saving a reference to a Song, an Album, or an Artist rather than saving a list of songs and showing Albums and Artists from the list of Songs that have been saved. Kind of a bummer really. I think saving an Artist would have been handy. Especially considering the relatively low number of songs that can be saved (10k). 

Update:

Specifically, if you could save an Artist, it would be nice to have the discography listed dynamically so when a new album is released you don't have to go search for it to find it.

That is actually what I thought the whole point to be. Save an Artist once and whenever new music is released in Spotify your My music is automatically updated.

I don't know what I was thinking really. Spotify making a well designed software, only in my dreams.

Marked as solution

Try this to save an artist: play any song from an album by this artist, then click on the +-icon in the lower left corner where you find the album, artist and cover info (see attached screenshot). The artist is then added to your artists list and the icon changes appropriately.

1.png

And here's another good idea: http://blog.freeqnet.de/2012/03/13/spotify-erste-schritte-und-tipps-zum-deutschland-start/

especially the part titled "Artist-Playlisten als Schnellzugriff"

in essence he says: make a catch-all-playlist, save one song only for each artist, jump to artist by clicking on his name in that one saved song

If necessary, sort into more than one playlist and into playlist folder (file>make playlist folder),

This is how WiMP does it. It's super useful. It's funny really, using Spotify is like going back in time to the first WinAMP or something like that. It's like they look at how everyone was collecting and organizing their music and thought, "Hey, let's do the opposite of all that!"

A strange thing in this regard (or simply something I don't understand) is that the "Artists list / tab" seems to list the names of artists I'm following without me having used the latest "save function" to save their music. Therefore it would seem that it's possible to "save" artists (to the artists list)  by following them. However, on closer inspection some of the artists that I follow are missing from the artists list. Why some show up and others not is unclear to me. If anyone could shed light on that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! M.      

I found that 'following' an artist will automatically add them to your artists list. It doesnt show right away but will after a while. When you follow an artist you will be notified of their new releases.

Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 9.46.50 pm.jpg

Yes, I did some further testing. It seems the function is buggy. Most artists I follow show in the artists list, however, some of them not. So I unfollowed one artists that did show up and as expected it was removed from the artists list. Then I followed the same artist again and it showed up again in the artists list as well. Now I did the same with an artist that wasn't showing up in my artist list (but that I had been  following). After unfollowing and following again the artist still didn't show up in the artist list.    

I will make a new thread about this since it's getting beyond the scope of the original question. In regard to the orignal question it's safe to say that next to saving music, following artists is a good (although still buggy) way to add artists to your artists list.  

Hmm my Artists list is totally empty despite having "followed" artists a few days ago. Finding Spotify to be rather confusing/annoying to use overall.

Ok if you go to your profile (top right) you can actually view who you are follwoing there. So "Following" is not same as "Saving an artist" but seems you can't save artists from anywhere but the Discover section.

I found what you have to do is save a few albums or a few songs from an artist one is already listening to, and then the system will start to pull information from who you follow, music in user playlists. and so on. After I saved about 15 movie soundtrack albums, the system started adding artists automatically into Your Music under Artists based on who I was following.

@amparose
It's true that "following" is something different from 'saving an artist', but Spotify never lets you save an artist directly (see also the beginning of this thread). Even when you save in the Discover section you actually save music and not artists. However, Spotify will save the 'associated artist' for you in the same process, that's the same it does for 'following artists". So: although following is something different (indeed), Spotify saves the artist that you're following in the arists list as well (often). That is: mine does, yours obviously doesn't which completes the mystery! 

I've tested and documented the issue more in depth here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Artists-list-not-working-as-expected/m-p/...

Best, M. 

@luciantenebrae

Yea, but still it leaves out certain artists (that I follow). I've tested and described the issue in more depth here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Artists-list-not-working-as-expected/m-p/...

Thanks, M. 

True it did not pull every artist from ones I have listed as following which is over 400 but I was not expecting every artist to show at the first time setting it up and testing what the Your Music section does. The following feature took some time before most of it would show properly at least for me, I figure this will be something worked out over time.

inexcusable,,,cant save your favorite artists,,,,, sound quality is great,, but this could be a deal breaker,,,mog had this feature,,may go back to them,,, too bad...major flaw

Hello sailboy777, the bug that is described in this thread has been solved quiete a while ago, so now you can save artists without any hic-ups. Just follow the artists you want to save and they will appear under "your music" in "Artists".

Best, M.

Suggested posts