Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to stop Spotify from changing its playlist based on my listen history?

Solved!

How to stop Spotify from changing its playlist based on my listen history?

I've been listening to the playlist "idk." which is made by Spotify, and over time, I noticed I kept hearing the same songs despite the playlist constantly updating. I checked, and the songs in that playlist are different when I listen to it using my account and when I log out. Is there any way to stop Spotify from modifying the playlist? I like the style of music, but I don't want to listen to the same songs over and over again. 

Playlist when I am logged in.PNG
Playlist when I am logged out.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Weirdo2006,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Keep in mind that the way some of our Spotify-curated playlists work is that they are personalized according to individual users' tastes and listening habits. The songs within them are collected from a pool, curated by our editors.

In practice, this means that the same Spotify playlist can contain different songs depending on the user who is viewing the playlist and can change for a specific user over time.

If you want more variety we recommend that you expand your library in order to give the algorithm a little boost. Alternatively you can start a playlist-based radio.

Hope this answers your question. We'll be here if anything else comes up 🙂

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Weirdo2006,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Keep in mind that the way some of our Spotify-curated playlists work is that they are personalized according to individual users' tastes and listening habits. The songs within them are collected from a pool, curated by our editors.

In practice, this means that the same Spotify playlist can contain different songs depending on the user who is viewing the playlist and can change for a specific user over time.

If you want more variety we recommend that you expand your library in order to give the algorithm a little boost. Alternatively you can start a playlist-based radio.

Hope this answers your question. We'll be here if anything else comes up 🙂

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

You suggest expanding one's library in order to get a greater variety of songs in Spotify's curated playlists, but the way many people discover new music is through these playlists. Starting a playlist-based radio won't work either, because I get recommended the same ten songs on every playlist I make. The level of personalization on Spotify has rendered my song radios and Discover Weekly playlists iron-clad echo chambers that do not facilitate branching out. I would appreciate a feature that would allow users to choose which aspects of the app they want tailored to their personal taste and which they want left alone.

I could not have said it better myself! They need to make an option similar to the "exclude from my taste profile" feature so we can exclude a playlist from over-personalization. Sometimes I'll find a new Spotify-curated playlist that is a breath of fresh air from the same stale songs that get placed into every one of their playlists but, by the time I revisit it, those same songs are already rotated in. If this solution won't be implemented, then, at the very least, Spotify needs to have a longer-term memory. I try hard to listen to different genres and music to break the echo chamber mold they've set me into, but then they just forget everything I've previously built-in, and I find myself in a new echo chamber. I just don't want every playlist to be the same exact one at the same exact time!!!

What I do is make my own playlist and copy all 50/100 songs from the curated one into that playlist and name it the same thing + the date I made it and then you can preserve that exact set of songs before spotify starts altering based on your listening profile. 

Suggested posts