Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Install & Launch Errors: Error Code 53, Error Code 17 & This program is blocked by group policy

Solved!

Install & Launch Errors: Error Code 53, Error Code 17 & This program is blocked by group policy

There have been dozens upon dozens of posts relating to the dreaded 'error code 17' and equally dozens of proposed solutions.

One that stands out is written by one of Spotify's own, Peter, titled '[Tutorial][Windows] How to Fix Error 17 (Installer)'.

It's a great write up, but I hope I'm not the only one that thinks rebooting into Safe Mode to install an application is kinda ridiculous.  But hey, if it works, it works.

Note: Under normal circumstances, it is not recommended to install/uninstall applications from Safe Mode.  One of the biggest reasons is because the Windows Installer Service (MSIService) isn't running and it takes a little work to get it started.

Like others, I've run into this problem and wanted to do my part by adding some hopefully helpful information.

Standard Disclaimer:

Neither I nor Spotify will take or otherwise accept responsibility if you break something on the computer you're doing this on.

Use and proceed at your own risk. 

So if you've run into any of these errors, please read on.

SpotifyError5317.png

(images courtesy of me)

SpotifyGPO.png

(image courtesy of Google and Spotify!)

IN SHORT

On the surface, it seems that both Error 17 and Error 53 appear to be caused by the same root problem, and moving the Spotify directory in %AppData% to someplace else like

• %ProgramFiles% on 32-bit systems or
  • %ProgramFiles(x86)% on 64-bit systems

Should resolve both errors for you.  Should.

You can accomplish by pasting the command in the gray box below into the Start > Run box accessible via the Windows logo keyWindows logo key+R:

32-bit Windows users can use this one liner:

cmd /k move "%AppData%\Spotify" "%ProgramFiles%"

SpotifyMovex86.png 

64-bit Windows users should use this one liner instead:

cmd /k move "%AppData%\Spotify" "%ProgramFiles(x86)%"

SpotifyMovex64.png

After executing the command above, check the command (cmd) prompt window (the black window that shows up) for any errors or warnings.  If everything looks good, close the window.

NOTICE: IF you have User Account Control (UAC) enabled, (WHICH IS ENABLED BY DEFAULT ON WINDOWS VISTA AND HIGHER) the process WILL FAIL.  You will need to do one of the following:

1. Run the command (cmd) prompt with administrative privileges then type or paste the command in the elevated command prompt.
  2. Enter the command in the 'Search' box on the Start Menu and execute it with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER and click 'Yes' when prompted to elevate.

If this is something people need help with, I'll document that process and update the post

Detailed screenshots of these steps are further down.

SPOTIFY OFFLINE INSTALLER DOWNLOAD LINKS

As of 8/25/15, the following links work and provide what appears to be the most recent version of the Windows Spotify Offline Installer:

These links also work but provide slightly older versions:

Mac users don't run into this problem, but in the event a Mac user is looking for an offline installer, the only offline installer I'm aware of is: http://download.spotify.com/Spotify.dmg

Please note: Spotify may change or remove these links at any time, and its possible there may be a delay between when Spotify updates the offline installer after updating the web/online installer.

IN LONG: Technical Deep-Dive Explanation

For whatever reason, Spotify is a little heavy handed in that it doesn't prompt for an installation location (e.g.: C:\Program Files) and by default plants itself in "%AppData%\Spotify".

• On Windows XP I think its: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR-USERNAME\Application Data\Spotify
  • On Windows Vista & higher (7 / 8 / 8.1) its: C:\Users\YOUR-USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

Note: Arguably it would be more efficient if it were installed in a location that's available to all users of the system (e.g.: C:\Program Files). Fortunately though Spotify is fairly lightweight, weighing in at about 80MB on a fresh install, so its not massive amounts of 'wasted space'.  But that's neither here nor there.

My environment is fairly locked down which breaks a lot of things.  We have a policy that prevents the execution of various file types (*.exe, *.com, *.bat, *.cmd etc.) in locations where applications tend to not be.  One such location is of course %AppData% which is problematic because, well, people can't run Spotify anymore!  (Hence why being able to choose the installation path would be handy!)

Fortunately since I'm the one responsible for locking things down, I know what's changed, which gives me a very good idea of where to look when something breaks.  Of course, it also means I know how to circumvent some policies too.  Call it a fringe benefit.

In this environment we've seen three specific errors as it pertains to installing and/or running Spotify:

• Error Code 53
  • Error Code 17
  • This program is blocked by group policy.  For more information, contact your system administrator.

ERROR CODE 53

We tend to see this error when a user downloads & runs 'SpotifySetup.exe' which is the Spotify installer that's presented by default when you visit https://www.spotify.com/us/download/windows/

The user downloads the web installer file (SpotifySetup.exe) and runs it.

The web installer file begins downloading the core installer file (SpWebInst0.exe) and saves it to %AppData%\Spotify

Once the core installer file has been downloaded, SpotifySetup.exe tries to run the core install file but fails miserably with: "The installer encountered an unknown error.  (Error code: 53)

The web installer then deletes %AppData%\Spotify (and thus everything in it)

ERROR CODE 17

This error is typically seen when a user has downloaded & run the full offline installer.

The user downloads the full offline install file and runs it

It begins the installation, and at the end fails miserably with: "Spotify could not be started. (Error code: 17)

Its important to note that in all the situations I've seen, Spotify has been successfully installed.

However, since the installer is unable to launch Spotify at the end of the install, it throws this error.

THIS PROGRAM IS BLOKED BY GROUP POLICY.  FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR.

This error is caued by a Group Policy we've enforced which, as I mentioned above, prevents file types from being executed from specific locations.  So with Spotify volunforcing us to install to %AppData%, its also committing application suicide.

Workaround / Solution?

The number one solution is for Spotify to allow us the option to change the installation path; just like every other application out there since time immemorial.  (Pretty please Spotify!)

Another potential reason this is failing is due to problems within the %AppData% directory.  As far as I know, the group policy we have in place is the only thing that causes these errors.  So while I haven't extensively tested what could potentially cause this problem, I have not been able to reproduce it without this policy in place, which gives credence to the idea that its a permission/execution issue.

But other potential causes include, but certainly aren't limited to

• Invalid, Incorrect or Insufficient permissions on "%AppData%" or specifically the "%Appdata%\Spotify" directory (e.g.: read-only, no write access, no execute file permissions etc.)
  • Insufficient administrative privileges
  • Other?

IF SPOTIFY IS NOT INSTALLED AND YOU'RE GETTING THE CODE 53 ERROR 

When the web installer fails to complete the install, it deletes the core install file SpWebInst0.exe and the Spotify directory in %AppData%.  This happens so quickly that there's really no way to use whatever has already been downloaded in an attempt to Spotify manually.

Unfortunately, due to the way the web installer works you'll have to use the full offline installer so...

1. Download the full offline installer (see links above)
  2. Install Spotify using the offline installer
  3. Then move onto the 'IF SPOTIFY IS ALREADY INSTALLED AND YOU'RE GETTING THE CODE 17 ERROR ' step IF you are getting the CODE 17 or GROUP POLICY errors!
  4. If you're not getting that error, Spotify should be working for you and you can stop here.

IF SPOTIFY IS ALREADY INSTALLED AND YOU'RE GETTING THE CODE 17 ERROR OR THE GROUP POLICY ERROR

To get around these errors we have to move the %AppData%\Spotify directory someplace else, like "C:\Program Files", or for those running 64-bit Windows, "C:\Program Files (x86)".

This is super easy, takes very little time and gets you back to your tunes quickly.

So very brief high-level instructions for Windows 7 people on how to do this:

1. Just make sure Spotify is closed and there are no Spotify installers running
  2. If you have a Spotify shortcut on your Desktop, Start Menu or Taskbar, get rid of it.
  3. Go to your Start Menu
  4. Type the following text exactly as written in the 'Search programs and files' box: %AppData%
  5. Press return or click the 'Roaming' folder that appears at the top
  6. Look for the 'Spotify' folder
  7. Right click on it & choose 'Cut'
  8. Go to your Start Menu again
  9. Type the following text exactly as written in that search box again: %ProgramFiles%
    • If you're running a 64-bit version of Windows, use this instead: %ProgramFiles(x86)%
  10. Press return or click the 'Program Files' folder that appears at the top
  11. Right click on any blank space within the 'Program Files' folder and choose 'Paste'
  12. Within a few moments, Spotify is moved to that location - YOU'RE ALMOST DONE!
  13. Open the new 'Spotify' folder in C:\Program Files and you should see 'Spotify', 'SpotfyLauncher' and some other stuff.
    • If you're on 64-bit Windows, go to C:\Program Files (x86)
  14. Right-click on 'Spotify' and choose 'Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)' from the right-click menu
  15. Go to your Desktop, launch Spotify and you should be all set.

A little note about the various Windows editions:

• Windows XP: You need to upgrade to Windows 7.  Seriously.
  • Windows Vista: The instructions above should mostly work for you
  • Windows 8/8.1: Since the Start Menu is gone, you're better off, you're better of opening an Explorer window (e.g.: Browse your C drive), clicking into the into the bar at the top that says 'This PC' or 'Local Disk C' then type %AppData% and press the Enter key to get into that directory.  From there, pick up from Step 6 above.
  • Windows 10: The process is the same as above.
  • If all else fails: Press the Windows logo key Windows logo key+R, type %AppData% and press enter and pick up from Step 6 above.

If you're not interested in doing steps 3 through 12, I offer you one line of code that does the bulk of the heavy lifting.

You still need to do steps 13 through 15 but its less work.

32-bit Windows users can use this one liner:

cmd /k move "%AppData%\Spotify" "%ProgramFiles%"

SpotifyMovex86.png 

64-bit Windows users should use this one liner instead:

SpotifyMovex64.png

After executing the command above, check the command (cmd) prompt window (the black window that shows up) for any errors or warnings.  If everything looks good, close the window.

NOTICE: IF you have User Account Control (UAC) enabled, (WHICH IS ENABLED BY DEFAULT ON WINDOWS VISTA AND HIGHER) the process WILL FAIL.  You will need to do one of the following:

1. Run the command (cmd) prompt with administrative privileges then type or paste the command in the elevated command prompt.
  2. Enter the command in the 'Search' box on the Start Menu and execute it with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER and click 'Yes' when prompted to elevate.

If this is something people need help with, I'll document that process and update the post

You can run this code via Start > Run:

32-bit Windows:

SpotifyMovex86.png

64-bit Windows:

SpotifyMovex64.png

Or via a command window

SpotifyCMDOneLiner.png

You can also run it from the Start Menu Search box like so (this is an example for a 32-bit Windows installation):

SpotifyStartMenuOneLiner.png

To be sure it runs successfully, use CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to execute the installer.

While I hope what I've shared here solves your issues, if it doesn't, I at least hope it gets you closer to the root cause so we (the community) can help you find a solution.

Also note to Spotify:

I'm joking around a bit here trying to keep it light despite potential Spotify-user frustration.  Not trying to poke a bear.

I quite enjoy the music, the app is pretty slick and the community forums are neat.  So all that to say: Great job!

But seriously, you should really consider maybe changing this up a bit:

• Install the application to C:\Program Files (or let the user choose)
  • Store user-specific data in %AppData%\Spotify

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

77 Replies

Alright my friend came over and he figured it out then installed a program called Ninite to Auto update for me so I don't have to do what he did. Thank you for your help!

Thank you sir.....only took me an hour to find this post after encountering this boondoggle thats been going on for HOW FRIGGIN LONG???? Again, most helpful, detailed explanation and fix I saw. Gracias.

Any luck finding an updated installer? The solution worked perfectly, except for the fact that it is an old version of spotify, and is unable to update

@mrotten12I reached out to a 'Spotify guy' twice, but he hasn't responded and may not ever respond.  😞

I've updated the original post with all the links I could find and the version of the installer associated with the link.

As far as I know, the first two links provide the latest and greatest version of the Spotify installer.

That could change at any time and keep in mind there emay be some lag time between when Spotify updates the web installer and the offline installer.

As I get some appreciable information, I'll update the post.

Thanks so much! The updated offline installer worked perfectly

@PrillDub: The reason this didn't work is because User Account Control is enabled and this action requires Administrative privileges.

For those in the same situation, you can try two things:

1. Open an Elevated Command prompt then paste the move command in the elevated command prompt, OR
  2. Paste the command in the Start search box and execute it with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER then click yes when prompted for elevation.

@PrillDub: Ninite is a great little application! Glad its working and thanks for the update!

ERROR CODE 53

After updating my pc to windows 10 i found that it no longer had spotify installed, because of getting a free trial i thought i would install it again only to find that i got an error code 53. I searched everywhere to find a fix for this but i tried multiple things like running in safe mode, turning windows firewall off, and using the command to change it from appdata file to a different one so it would finish installing correctly and download but i had no luck.

After a while i decided to just find the file...

Drive c > users > your username > appdata > roaming

I then cut the whole spotify folder to documents and i double cliked on SpotifyLauncher and FINIALLY it opened spotify! I am confused as to how it did that because it would not install as it said when i got the error but obviously it somehow did in the process of doing all of that.

I hope that this may help someone because its so fustrating when something does not download!

I am sorry of any spelling mistakes or mistakes of names but im sure it is easy to get what i have done 🙂

I'm on 64 bit, and running the command

fixed it for me,, once run, i then went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Spotify and ran the file from there, and all was well

I found a solution for error 53, Go here to fix error 53.

Thank you! This worked!!!

Thanks for sharing that link slobodannn.

I want to clarify something for potentially would be viewers:

• The error 53 in that link is an iTunes error, NOT a Spotify error.
  • Specifically, the error 53 in that link is encountered when attempting to restore your iPhone with iTunes.

Although that's potentially useful for those with that specific error in that specific situation, it falls outside the scope of the Spotify forums.

I would argue that someone with that error in that situation wouldn't even be in the Spotify Community forums but rather the Apple iTunes Community forums.

Aside from the fact that the error code also happens to be 53, purely a coincidence, there's no connection.  That error code is merely a number, not a specific universal error code.

Thanks for the update kelieff!

Its always good to receive feedback, especially when its positive!

I'm happy its working again for you.

Cheers mate!

I'm on Windows 10 x64. When I try to install the lastest windows client version 1.0.21.143 of Spotify I get the following error:

WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS THE SPECIFIED DEVICE, PATH, OR FILE. YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE PERMISSIONS TO ACCESS THE ITEM.

In my case the problem wasn't Spotify's fault. It was an issue related to Windows itself. I kinda found a way to fix it. It's here = https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/45to0g/windows_cannot_access_the_specified_device_path/

Hey there FernanDK, thanks for the message.

That's a really trucky issue indeed - thanks for sharing.  As we migrate to Windows 10, I'll keep an eye out for that and post my findings.

What build of Windows are you on?

Are you a Windows Insider?

im sorry but none of this made any sense to me

No worries. Are you experiencing either error?

So, I've been encountering some weird problems with Spotify lately. When I got the "Blocked by group policy" message, I did the instructions that you sent for moving the program from AppData to Program Files (x86). That worked, but then after some attempts at uninstalling, Spotify is just completely broken on my PC now.

It opens on start-up, but the shortcut on my taskbar is a broken program symbol (I think that's what it looks like) but it still works. I've tried using the full installer and the web installer, and no luck. I uninstalled it, like I said, I've removed the AppData from both local and roaming, as well as removing the Program Files directory, and it still won't install. I just want a fresh, newly updated version of Spotify! I'm OK with Spotify working on the current version if I have to be, but I'd really love to get the newest version!

Let me know if what I asked makes sense. Basically, in a shortened version...

Got the blocked by group policy message - Moved from AppData to Program Files - "Uninstalled" from Windows, it didn't fully uninstall - Now I have a rogue Spotify that still works and still creates AppData, and still exists in Program Files - I want to remove these completely, and get a fresh install, but I'm still getting the Error 53 message. Any solutions?

My company has just blocked us from the desktop Spotify after a virus attack. We now get the Group Policy pop-up. I can still listen to music with the webplayer, but it sucks huge monkey balls. I feel kinda bad paying Premium for that. Spotify needs to get its act together and improve functionalities 'cause it is making me and my colleagues crazy.

Since I don't have admin rights, I cannot do anything to get my desktop up and running again?? I tried following the steps, but cannot move my already installed Spotify to Programfiles(x86) because it asks for an admin password, obv.

Thanks!!

excellent, all working . top bloke.

Suggested posts