Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Intermittent playback on high speed connection

Intermittent playback on high speed connection

Greetings, I'm on the premium individual plan in Denver, CO. USA. I have a high speed broadband 200mbps connection through Comcast/Xfinity which is working fine, verified with a speed test every time this has happened. I have the Spotify app on my Samsung UN55TU8000FXZA smart TV Tyzen OS wired CAT5e to an Asus AX-58U (AX-3000) router, my Onkyo TX-NR6100 AVR stock firmware also wired, my Dell Inspiron 15-7568 2 in 1 Windows 11 Pro laptop with Wifi 6 card, and my OnePlus Nord N30 5G Android 13 smartphone. All devices are updated as well as the Spotify app on all of them. This condition happens no matter what device I'm listening on and doesn't change if I switch between them.

My Question or Issue

After Spotify has been playing for a few hours, it starts "skipping", as if the internet connection were slow, however there is no issue with my connection speed. I have run speed tests while it's happening the past 3 times. It does it any time I play Spotify for more than a couple of hours, which is every day I'm home for most of the day. I work a full time job so it's usually only on weekends and holidays/vacations, etc. It doesn't help if I log out everywhere and start a new session either, it's still skipping when I log back in and start playback on any of my devices, which is a pain in the rear. I've also cleared the cache each time, also to no avail. If I leave it playing the skipping becomes so irritating that I just shut it down and listen to local mp3s on my laptop or stream from another service, however Spotify is the only one I pay for a subscription to and I do so because I can't stand commercials or other interruptions so besides a couple of genre specific streaming apps I have that are free, but which I have to be in the mood for one of those 2 genres I'm left with them.

So I'm at a boiling point here and need to figure out what's going on. I am curious to know if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so what remedies there are, if any. I'm not certain how long it has to be before it will resume normal playback because when I get irritated enough to shut Spotify down because of it, it's usually at least several hours to days before I will turn it back on again. When I'm home I listen mostly on the Onkyo for lack of interruption from my phone and so I can have either the laptop or TV on independent of the music as sometimes I will watch a video or football game without the sound while the tunes are on. All the devices can be used with the AVR as well so that I have sound throughout my apartment as I have multiple sound systems and speaker sets connected together. None of them are immune to this issue though, no matter how I am using them. Thanks in advance for any feedback on this and just FYI, I did do a search through the Spotify help pages and here and couldn't find any articles with a similar issue.

1 Reply

Hey @Dell_Ray,

Welcome to the Community! Thank you for sending over those details and good job for already trying some troubleshooting steps.

As the issue is happening on multiple devices and you've not mentioned it, we recommend also restarting your router to see if that makes any difference with the performance. It is a simple step, but worth trying in case the performance gets better. 

If that doesn't make any difference you can also create a new account - a test one so we can check if in this situation the issue is account-related instead. You can do so directly from our web-page here

Fingers crossed and if the issue persists, we'll keep investigating together 🙂

IvelinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts