Is it possible to use spotify with a 5.1 setup?

Solved!

Is it possible to use spotify with a 5.1 setup?

Swindle

Tried googling and looking over the forums however I can't seem to find an answer/solution.

I have a 5.1 speaker setup (5 speakers + a sub) however spotify sounds only use 2 speakers + the sub. This is natural for most audio files, however I was wondering if there was a way of converting it to 5.1.

I usually use a program called Foobar which converts mp3 files into 5.1 when you play them, making sound come out of all speakers, however there is no option for this within spotify.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: Is it possible to use spotify with a 5.1 setup?

remusjohn
Casual Listener

Hey everyone,

I think i found the solution to the problem wherre "speaker fill" does not help.

you can force the spotify app to ignore it's own audio settings by adding "--disable-audio-output-resampler" to the shortcut path"

go to the properties of your shortcut of spotify (on win 8, you can find your shortcut in C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)

add quotationmarks (") at the begin and the end of the path than ad a space and "--disable-audio-output-resampler"

apply and exit.

this should, in combination with speakerfill, enable all of your speakers by some version of virtual surround.

greetz

David

Solution!

thomasb2602
Gig Goer

I have found a fix for mine!

Download Voicemeeter:

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

then install it, and reboot your pc.

go to playback devices.

And set up the vooicemeter app as 7.1, but untip the side pairs if u have 5.1 . See photo

fix2.PNGfix3.PNG

And just click next, next, finish.

Then setup your speaker in Voicemeeter. See photo

fix.PNG

Now we need to let it start every bootup, so we need to put a shortcut in the startup map.

Goto Start (windows logo)

All programms

Go to the Startup map, and right click than click on open.

Than go back to all programs, and find a map called VB Audio.

Open the map, also the voicemeeter app.

Copy the app called, Voicemeeter, in the Startup map that we just opend.

DONE! I hope it worked!!

Solution!

thomasb2602
Gig Goer

Sorry for my late response but, does this work?

I have found a fix for mine!

Download Voicemeeter:

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

then install it, and reboot your pc.

go to playback devices.

And set up the vooicemeter app as 7.1, but untip the side pairs if u have 5.1 . See photo

fix2.PNGfix3.PNG

And just click next, next, finish.

Then setup your speaker in Voicemeeter. See photo

fix.PNG

Now we need to let it start every bootup, so we need to put a shortcut in the startup map.

Goto Start (windows logo)

All programms

Go to the Startup map, and right click than click on open.

Than go back to all programs, and find a map called VB Audio.

Open the map, also the voicemeeter app.

Copy the app called, Voicemeeter, in the Startup map that we just opend.

DONE! I hope it worked!!

49 Replies

neo-x
Community Legend
Spotify doesn't support it. Usually the computer has the possibility to route the sound accordingly. I myself use an amp and my computer is connected to it via HDMI. HDMI delivers the sound to the amp directly from the computer. Majority of the apps only send out 2 speaker signals. Only specific software like Cyberlink PowerDVD can use it through SPDIF and use the full range speakers. I bet Foobar also can handle the requests and the speaker configuration and route the sound accordingly.

I'm not sure if there is an idea open about this to modify the app to support multiple speaker setups.

My 2 cents.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

hinezee
Music Fan

Music is traditionally stereo. if you listen to music from a CD then it will play by default in stereo. I'm not sure if music is recorded in 5.1 as it would need to be adjusted at production I think.

I listen through a Denon amp and that has plenty of options to play in 5.1, 7.1 omouse all 8 speakers equally.  The input source is still stereo so it's the amp that does the work of making it sound 5.1.   

webste58

Yes You are correct in some way.
There is music recorded in 5.1 format. Pink Floyd and other grat artist release DTS CDs, there are also some concerts released in DVS CD  audio like Nirvana Unplugged or Mike Oldfield Milenium Concert.

Spotify can only output stereo, there is no other way :/ Foobar on the other hand can use Matrix plugin or other surround audio plugin to output 5.1 as well as play DTS content, i'm using that setup at this particular moment.

There is some solutions for Spotify

- Output 2.0 audio to amplituner (usualy some Home cinema set like Herman Cardon AMP)  and there change matrix settings to say 5.1 surround
- Use Boxee to output sound to AMP and change matrix - same like above
- Instal virtual audio output. If You change virtual audio calbe to be the only one then it becomes systems default (Used by Spotify) You can then redirect this virtual cable to some kind of filter with 5.1 matrix compatibility like ffdshow or AC3 matrix. There is some mystery to me how to sustain this filter as active process when it need to be loaded by other software (player) but somewhere out there in deeph ot the interent must be as anwser to this question as well :)

moon_t

I don't have a solution, but do have a workaround I use if I want to listen in surround. Spotify Web Player takes on the characteristics of the browser, so in my case if I use Firefox which is set up as surround configured, I get surround output.

As I say not a solution, but a workaround that's good for me until something better comes along.

wOhst
Regular
You just need the right software or hardware! Depends on if you want it for free or want to upgrade your gear. I love to listen Spotify on my HiFi-System where I can choose from different surround functions. Often I just enjoy it in stereo, how it was mixed in the studio ;) . I use a 5.1 System on my Onkyo 7.2 AV-Receiver (with BiAmping).
Highlighted
Solution!

remusjohn
Casual Listener

Hey everyone,

I think i found the solution to the problem wherre "speaker fill" does not help.

you can force the spotify app to ignore it's own audio settings by adding "--disable-audio-output-resampler" to the shortcut path"

go to the properties of your shortcut of spotify (on win 8, you can find your shortcut in C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)

add quotationmarks (") at the begin and the end of the path than ad a space and "--disable-audio-output-resampler"

apply and exit.

this should, in combination with speakerfill, enable all of your speakers by some version of virtual surround.

greetz

David

Wizzard005
Casual Listener

This worked for me on windows 7 x64 with X-Fi, however its not a true bass re-direct, but it works better than 2 channel only.   I have Mackie studio monitors and powered mackie sub..

judeno
Casual Listener

Where exactly do I enter the "sentence"?

StBBrad
Casual Listener

I have entered the sentence, but my Realtek drivers and the destop app still refuse to play using the rear channels or subwoofer. The web app uses all channels. 

SUGGESTED POSTS