Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is there a way to tag my local files using Spotify's database of metadata?

Is there a way to tag my local files using Spotify's database of metadata?

I'd like to be able to re-tag some of my local files for artists that are currently missing from Spotify (but still listed in the DB) to match Spotify's data. This way I can be sure my local files are being linked to the appropriate songs in Spotify's DB.

What I mean is, if I could use a retagger application, but instead of looking the album on CDDB or Amazon, it would look in Spotify's DB and tag the tracks to match that info. Then, when these local files are imported into Spotify, they will surely be linked with the correct songs.

5 Replies

@Hush7 wrote:

I'd like to be able to re-tag some of my local files for artists that are currently missing from Spotify (but still listed in the DB) to match Spotify's data. This way I can be sure my local files are being linked to the appropriate songs in Spotify's DB.

What I mean is, if I could use a retagger application, but instead of looking the album on CDDB or Amazon, it would look in Spotify's DB and tag the tracks to match that info. Then, when these local files are imported into Spotify, they will surely be linked with the correct songs.

Hi, and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, this is not currently possible. Feel free to submit this to the ideas thread though!

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

You can actually right-click on a local track [or album or group of albums] and change the basic info.  However, its very rudimentary, as taggers go.

@Rollo_ wrote:

You can actually right-click on a local track [or album or group of albums] and change the basic info.  However, its very rudimentary, as taggers go.

I think what he meant was that he wanted Spotify to link a local file to a file in their servers i.e. when he clicked on a local file, Spotify would know what song that is in their database so it can play it through the servers rather than as a file. Not sure though, and you are correct in saying that 🙂

Anthony

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Actually I mean just changing the metadata of my local MP3 files to match the entries for those same tracks in Spotify's database. As in lookup an album in Spotify's database, designate a group of MP3s on my local drive that comprise said album, and have the Spotify app automatically fill in the metadata of those MP3s with data that matches their library exactly. This way, you wouldn't end up with some local files getting linked incorrectly (or not at all). The only time this would not apply is if the music was not in Spotify's database whether or not it is available for listening or not. Does this make better sense?

I realize I can edit each file manually from within Spotify, but it would be nice if this process was somewhat automated, at least for groups of tracks that comprise albums.

For anyone coming to this topic via a Google search:
I've always wanted to create an application that lets you tag your local mp3 files with Spotify metadata and now I got the time to do so:

https://github.com/dargmuesli/spotitag

Some background info why it took me so long: The tool is written in Kotlin and uses the Java library https://github.com/spotify-web-api-java/spotify-web-api-java/, which I became the maintainer of to get it up to date again. Yeah, that took a while 😉
If your prefer a Python-backed CLI, you may be interested in https://github.com/radusuciu/id3spot/.

Suggested posts