Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Keyboard media key 'Stop' issue

Solved!

Keyboard media key 'Stop' issue

I've had Spotify working flawlessly with my media keys on my keyboard. With the latest update Spotify messed up.

The play, rewind and forward still work, but whenever I press the 'stop' button, the music doesn't stop. Instead of stopping the music, Spotify decides to show some quickmenu on the top left of my screen. That's not what I need or want, when I press stop I expext my music to stop.

A hotfix would be appreciated. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okay, so I found the solution.

Within Spotify, go to 'Options' and disable the 'Desktop overlay when using media keys' feature. With the overlay disabled all keys seem to work again.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hey @Serellyn!

That is strange, it's working on my end. How about trying a clean reinstall? First delete Spotify completely (Configuration screen>Programs>Spotify>Delete) then click here to reinstall it. 

Yeah I've tried this a few times to no avail. The stop button just shows the quickbar.

Marked as solution

Okay, so I found the solution.

Within Spotify, go to 'Options' and disable the 'Desktop overlay when using media keys' feature. With the overlay disabled all keys seem to work again.

THANK YOU so much. I had a button on a remote for answering Skype calls that hits the media "stop" key and it stopped working after one of the recent updates.  The pause button won't work the same (it starts playing music if I had it paused for some other reason).

This helps me so much, you have no idea.

I believe this stopped working after the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview update

EDIT:
Wait no my problem was that when Spotify was not in focus it would not respond to the play/pause/skip media keys

Reinstalling spotify didn't work (rest in piece several gigs of cache)

But disabling the overlay worked, I can't see what music it's playing now but whatever at least it responds to the keys

Hope this gets fixed soon

Having the exact same problem. Thanks for the work around, and I also hope this will be fixed soon!

It was fixed for me in some update few weeks ago

Suggested posts