Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Multiple Issues with desktop app

Multiple Issues with desktop app

Recently I've been experiencing a lot of problems with the Spotify Desktop app.

1. Playing songs I have not saved in my library or my playlists.

Problem: This sadly does not work at all. Before playing any song, I have to save it (not download it) after which it works. This problem includes putting songs in the waiting list. When playing a song and trying to play a song I have not saved, it just stops as if I wasn't playing anything.

2. Playing Songs

Problem: When I play a playlist or songs from my library, the Spotify desktop app plays the first song of the playlist or the selected song. After finishing this song or skipping the song Spotify stops in a similar manner to the first Problem.

I have found a workaround. If I play a Song and add the next to the waiting list, it adds the whole playlist and will let me play the playlist.

3. My library 

Problem: My desktop app does not synchronize the library with the ones on my other devices. It does Sync up playlists (Adding/ deleting playlists and songs to/ from the playlists) But not my saved songs, podcasts, albums, and artists.

4. Other connected Devices

Problem: The desktop app does not recognize any other devices playing songs or even just existing. It also does not recognize the web version even if used from the PC.

First Occurrence:

Sunday 17th of July

After moving my PC to a different location and booting it up. The PC started to Update. After this update (21H2) these Problems occurred. (My PC does not show any more Recent updates )

Things I tried before creating this Thread:

Rebooting;

Powering down, cutting the power, waiting (3 days), restarting;

uninstalling Spotify and reinstalling it (from the Spotify Website);

Deleting my Spotify folder (…\AppData\Roaming\Spotify) and reinstalling Spotify

uninstalling Spotify and reinstalling it (from the Microsoft Store);

Deactivating my Firewall.

Starting Spotify as Admin, and in compatibility mode (Win 8).

Updating a bunch of drivers

Plan

Premium

Country

Austria

Operating System

Windows 10 (21H2)

If you habe any Questions feel free to ask.

10 Replies

Hey @Judmaierm,  

Thanks for reaching out about this, and welcome to the Community 🙂   

We appreciate the detailed report and all the troubleshooting you have already tried. We can add a few more steps to make sure we've covered all bases. 

Would you mind logging out and then logging back into your account twice in a row? We know this sounds odd, but it will trigger a sync between your account and device. We suggest that you try this on all your devices to check if it makes the difference with the syncing issue.  

If this doesn’t do the trick, you mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one? 

On another note, we’d recommend checking if you have the Autoplay feature turned on to prevent the playback from stopping after every song.  

Regarding the issue with your PC not recognizing the available devices, we suggest that you give another internet connection a go to see if the issue persists. To check this, you can create a hotspot on your phone and try using that. 

Lastly, we’d like to know if these issues are also happening on the web player or if they’re just isolated to the desktop app.  

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I've tried the logging in thing but it didn't appear to work, but it did offer an update afterwords. After this it did sync up the Library. It also allowes me to play the next songs. 

I have tried something like the "clean reinstall" see: "Deleting my Spotify folder (…\AppData\Roaming\Spotify) and reinstalling Spotify". I tried agian following the description you posted, still to no avail.

I do have both autoplay features on.

On the account of connecting to a different network / internet connection, I have to say this is a desktop PC without wifi. so coneccting to another network does require a wifi USB stick (I don't know the english word for it).

Two things don't work which are, conected devices and playing unsaved songs.

The problems where all only on the desktop app. (I've been using the web player for the meantime and I discovered no issues)

Thank you for your swift reply.

Hi there @Judmaierm

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know. 

Could you try disabling any antivirus or ad-blocking software, and turning off any VPNs if in use? Also, please check your firewall and make sure Spotify is set as an exception.

If this doesn't do the trick, we'd recommend removing the hosts file. Head here to find out how.

Keep us in the loop.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thank you for answering even though it is a Sunday.

I got my PC to connect to my Smartphone hotspot (that did not work)

I disabled all antivirus software (for the mean time). I don't currently use ad-block and neither do I use a VPN. I have created an exception in the firewall for Spotify, but this does not fix the problem.

Regarding the hosts file I did not find "any entries with Spotify or Fastly in the address". Since I'm not fully sure what this host file does, I'm against removing it.

Thank you anyways for the suggestion

Kind regards Judmaierm

Hey @Judmaierm,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info shared.

To keep investigating your case, include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running on your device.

Also, let us know if you're using the version downloaded from the Web Page, or the Microsoft store version. In case you haven't tested this yet, please download the other version and let us know if the issues persist.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sorry for the late response. I have tried to douwnload the MS Store version but this did not fix my problem.

My current spotify version is 

Spotify für Windows
1.1.90.859.gf1bb1e36

i have same problem.I do not have a connection with other devices and put it in the computer version of the program. And if I have not saved the song, then I cannot listen to it from the artist on the page, or in the album. And the link to the discord does not work either.

Hey there,

Thanks for the replies.

Have you tried using a different Spotify account to reproduce the issue on the affected devices?

If you're using a VPN connection, we advise you to turn it off.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Hi,

I have tried my dad's account which didn't change anything (all the same problems as before).

I'm not using a VPN.

Thanks for the reply!

Hey there,

Thanks for the replies.

Could you check if you're able to get the web player to work on the affected device? This way we can exclude network related issues.

It's also important to check if the desktop app would behave as expected in the Safe Mode of Windows. If it does, it means, that some other software is interfering with the app. Have you installed anything new recently?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Suggested posts