Premium

Country

Europe

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

So I have one modem/router, and then a Google Wifi system. Now with phones and tablets Spotify Connect is no problem. But with my PC using cable to the modem/router won't see the speaker groups I've created in Google Home. And I kinda want a solution to this, so I can start music on my PC for a speaker group, instead of having to use my phone or tablet. Is there a way? How can my PC detect speaker groups from an underlaying network? Modem/router is fiber-related and uses 192.168.10.x and google wifi is a sub-network using 192.168.86.x

8 Replies

Hi there @stefanw1337,

Thank you for posting on the Community. 

At the moment, the Connect feature functions best when all devices are connected on the same network directly to one router through WIFI, it doesn't fully support multi-network or sub-network setups, so this might be the reason why it's not working.

If you're able to start playback on your mobile app, you should be able to continue controlling it via the desktop app. However, starting playback directly over desktop might not be possible with the current setup.

Hope this clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

So now I'm connected both wired and by wireless. And I can see all the chromecast speaker groups. And local files works on my phone and such. BUT I cannot play local files on the Google Home speaker or any groups, file just won't play. But it works directly on my phone. Help?

Hi again @stefanw1337,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We're afraid that Local files can't be played via Connect. When using the Connect feature, the content is played directly from the device that is doing the playback, and since Local files can't be synced with speakers, they won't play. To be able to play Local files through an external device like a speaker, you'd need to use a different type of connection like Bluetooth, so the playback is coming from the device where you actually have the Local files (either your phone or PC).

We hope this helps clarifying this matter. The Community is here in case you need anything else.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I also have to say, while in my car I was surprised that the local song suddenly played, for some reason I was away from home, and it did play. How? There has to be a way then?!

Hey @stefanw1337,

Thanks for your reply.

You can play your Local files in your car if you have them downloaded in your phone and connect it to your car via cable or Bluetooth. In this case, the content is being played from your phone directly and that's why Local files can be played.

If you have further questions, feel free to reach back out 🙂

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I don't get why you can't cast it. File's right there! If it can play on the phone locally, then casting shouldn't be an issue? Like if it plays on the phone (external bluetooth device or not), then it should be castable to google speakers/devices?

Sounds like you have some minor work to do to enable this.

Hi @stefanw1337,

Thank you for your reply.

When we talk about casting music to different devices, we need to take into account the whole network's environment, its limitations and the way Local Files work.

Since the Connect feature works as a remote control (something very different from playing through Bluetooth), the Local Files must be stored on the casted device. That's why it's not possible to cast them to a device that doesn't have the files stored. 

Hope this clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

"That's why it's not possible to cast them to a device that doesn't have the files stored."

Phone has it stored. Speakers can't store things? And my car's speakers certainly hasn't stored anything, but it's playing it! So there's literally no difference in that sense, only thing is that one is using BT and the other WiFi. So again, seems like some minor work needs to be done in order to make this work. Because either way it's playing from the phone to the speakers.

And as I see it, WiFi is a better choice, better than BT. You get speaker groups, you get higher speeds and less latency. WiFi seems to be the future.

Suggested posts