Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Phantom devices interrupting playback or playing without authorisation

Phantom devices interrupting playback or playing without authorisation

Plan

Premium

Country

Poland

Device

Laptop, PC, Android phone (HTC One M9 PCE)

Operating System

Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Android

My Question or Issue

For the last couple weeks I have been having this problem: some random playlists including dance music (that I don't ever listen to) are being "played" by some phantom devices that I am sure do not belong to me (and most likely don't even exist). They either interrupt the playback of what I'm playing, or - when I pause "my" music - start playing on their own, on those "phantom" devices (always named "web player (chrome)", usually there's more than one instance of these). I am pretty sure that these devices don't physically exist and that no one has got access to my account (logged in via Facebook, recently (after this has started happening) changed password, used the "sign out everywhere" feature of Spotify) - I believe this to be a software bug, but I can't quite tell for sure.

This happens on all devices I use - my PC, the laptops I use, as well as on my phone.

Please help me, this is really annoying.

4 Replies

Hey @emperor_krk

Sorry to hear about this!

If your Spotify account wasn't created with Facebook, then your account has two passwords - one from Facebook (when you log in with FB), and one on its own. I highly recommend changing your Spotify password as well!

After you've changed it, hit the 'Sign Out Everywhere' button on your account page again.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Sebasty,

Thanks for your reply. My Spotify account was indeed created using a Facebook account. Any suggestions for such a situation? I'm pretty sure that I don't have a separate "Spotify-only" password (that I would know of).

If I nevertheless try the method you suggested, will it not muck up my account by creating a conflict between the password I usually use (i.e. simply living in via facebook) and the one created specifically for Spotify?

Could it matter that I have a "family" premium account? My wife has a separate ID and password and I'm certain that the odd behaviour had nothing to do with her activities on Spotify, but I guess mentioning this here might help.

@emperor_krk

If your Spotify account was made with Facebook, there is no way to create Spotify's own password. I also have such kind of account. 🙂

I'll ask around about your issue.

Also, you could try setting a device password. Maybe that will help!

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Sebasty,

sorry about the long lack of reply.

Setting a device password clearly can't be the solution: it is merely a way to enable using Spotify on a device such as a TV or an amplituner, or am I incorrect?

Anyway, in the past couple of weeks the problem has occurred less frequently (the last time I noticed it was last week). I am still pretty confident it must have been due to some software bug on the part of Spotify, but I have no way to prove it; I'm also not sure if any patches/updates have been implemented since my last post here.

If there is anything I can do to make sure the problem does not persist, please let me know.

Suggested posts